Parts Suppository

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Parts Suppository

I was thinking we could have a database of the various parts and things that make up our cars and the terms we use for them, maybe replete with pictures and stuff.

I know that for me I'm not a car guy really, and so when I come on here and read about someone's Pitman arm going south I wonder just what the heck it is.

Does anyone else think this is a good idea?

I don't want to put parts up my ass, but thanks for the offer!
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Honestly, it would probably just be faster to open a new tab and do some Google action.
      2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
      2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
      Past Panthers
      1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
      if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Yeah, I looked it up just to be sure there weren't any alternate meanings that I'm unaware of.

sup·pos·i·to·ry [suh-poz-i-tawr-ee, -tohr-ee]
        noun, plural sup·pos·i·to·ries.
        a solid, conical mass of medicinal substance that melts upon insertion into the rectum or vagina.

I guess.... these cars are pretty big though! Maybe start with a mini cooper and work your way up to the fullsize fords!

ANYWAYS, I think it's a good idea (because I'm also not a "car guy"... yet) but it sounds like it would require a lot of work and devotion and I would guess that most of the OG's around here would find it unnecessary and not beneficial to them. Basically the people who know these things would have to do all of this just for the sake of teaching those who don't know, just out of the kindness of their heart. I'd be eternally grateful, it would save us noobs a lot of time, but I'm definitely not gonna hold my breath.

Comment

I think you were looking for the word (Depository)

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2
          2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

Comment

i think even a mini cooper coming out would clog/destroy the toilet.

when i dont know what a part looks like on some car i go to one of the online parts stores and there is usually a pic........this internet thing is so great, when i was a teenager i had to read a chiltons manual and hang out at a few garages and ask questions.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I think it would be cool to have a running list of the "good" bits for our cars, as in all the items that the typical Panther guy really wants on his car. Big sways, cop control arms, 140 mph speedos, all the stuff like that so we could keep those things in mind on trips to the junk yard. We finally got our first self-serve junk yard here and I love looking for oddball and/or desirable items...

Comment

Oh my...oh my GOD.

I am so sorry. I meant "repository", not that other word.

Ban me, I'm stupid.

Comment

Nah...... i actually like the thread title it's quite entertaining. You should have just said "I was trying to make a funny" and went with it

Most of what makes our cars move steer and stop is pretty universal, but there are a few different basic types of steering/suspension/brake systems. Luckily our cars are of the most common kind for their era, and area (but not areola...?).

'Parallelogram' or 'parallel link' steering system

dual A-arm front suspension

front caliper, rear drum brakes

V-8 pushrod engine

I forget what you call the rear suspension type...

These are a few things to goolge that will take you to lots of good info and give you a general idea of what stuff is called and the roles they play.
                    I'm sure a bit more intensive googling will take you to info on our cars specifically too.
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I actually meant to put "repository", I wasn't trying to be funny. At all.

Comment

An anal slip, perhaps??

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post

These are a few things to goolge that will take you to lots of good info and give you a general idea of what stuff is called and the roles they play.
                          The roles they play while role-playing with suppositories?

sigpic
                          - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

It was an accident.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike_Windsor View Post
                              It was an accident.
                              Roll with it. It's a great thread you created. Reps inbound!

Comment

Working...
                              X