Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'98 Mercury GM/GS, Drivers-side door pressure plate

Dear forum wizards;

I have been off list here as per multiple family emergencies, however my new "used" Mercury Grand Marquis is a dream @ 64k. I am working a more urgent and pressing problem at present with my drivers side door not staying open and thus crashing in on me when parked or attempting to get in or out. After carefully examining this pressure plate arraignment and design today, I see that it is a sandwich of sorts, with a thin metal plate pressing inward on what appears to be a rubber bottom block about 1/4 of and inch or more in thickness. I suspect that this rubber block is what needs to be replaced to enable this door plate to have enough pressure in it to hold the door wide open. I can "see" a bolt on the thin steel plate and it appears to come off, however on the rear door this plate is welded to the hinge assembly, so I am not 101% certain if it really come off or apart. Sound familiar? My intent with this is to replace this rubber pad with another or an exact replacement so my door will not destroy me when I attempt to step out of my car or even get in on steeper inclines. Does this pressure plate assembly come apart up front? Anyone replace *just* that rubber spring plate block and can it be done? Replacing this entire assembly would be brutally expensive or so I would think as per the dealership prices. maybe there is a way around that. Maybe even inserting a thin rubber piece in there would give it more energy and return power.

_Hacksaw

You are looking for the lower hinge? Take another look, I think you will find that the whole hinge assembly bolts on. For whatever reason the hinge spring on every panther I have owned is too weak for my taste. I even bought a new one for my 93 but found no difference. The previous owner of my 89 replaced the one on my 89 before I bought the car and I bet they found out the same thing.

In the for sale section wagonman has some hinges for sale. Never had a problem with his stuff.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

my 88 didn't have a rubber insert... I used a 2 inch diameter rubber stopper and cut the height to fit and wedged it in there to help provide extra resistance for the stop points. Haven't had any issues with the 93. The mark had a BROKEN spring and would free swing... replaced that hinge.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
      X