Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frame rust issue....

Hey all,

I'm new to the site and am an owner of an 87 2 door grand marquis. The car represents a great deal to me as my dad had an 85 during my childhood growing up. Anyway, I just got it back from the shop for a good go through and I got some bad news. They told me the frame rails are rusted through under the lower front suspension. This news is very discouraging as I had big plans for the car. I'm unsure as to how major of a financial fix this would be to have sectioned out...or know of any place that would do it. I guess I'm wanting some opinions as to if it's worth it. The rest of the car is really clean(the reason for the purchase) considering its been in Ohio all its life and it was a real surprise when they told me about the issue....any thought or suggestions?

Passengers side? Normal. Just patch it up and go. AC drips onto it/into it and rusts it out.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
      Passengers side? Normal. Just patch it up and go. AC drips onto it/into it and rusts it out.
      They told me both sides. They think it was stored in a garage with a dirt floor or something.

Comment

Hmm. Not normal then.

Anything can be fixed. p to you in the end if it is really worth it. I'd personally fix it.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Very common problem. Frame swap would be easy. I've patched mine, and my new wagon needs similar work.
          Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Frame swap as in sectioning out from a good one? I don't weld or fabricate at all,,,or at least don't know how lol.

p.s.- 87gtVIC I actually got my ideas from looking at your car...love it!

Comment

I have an '87 2-door as well and mine too has frame rot. That's the reason it's been parked since summer of 2010 . On my car its just the typical passenger side, this spring I am getting it patched at a local custom car shop. Most any auto restoration place (hot rod shops, custom car shops, etc) and many body shops can patch the frame. Usually about $500 per patch, depending on how big a patch is needed. Keep her alive, mang! Not many of these cars left, especially the Merc 2-doors.
              -2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor - Daily Driver - 17" Bullitt's, 235/55/17 Goodyear Eagles, Ex-NH State Police, best 1/4 mile time; 15.3 @ 90 mph
              -1987 Crown Victoria 2-Door - Project - 90k miles, Summit chambered muffler, Sunpro gauges, parked since 2010, fate tbd

Comment

Originally posted by 87DeuceVic View Post
                I have an '87 2-door as well and mine too has frame rot. That's the reason it's been parked since summer of 2010 . On my car its just the typical passenger side, this spring I am getting it patched at a local custom car shop. Most any auto restoration place (hot rod shops, custom car shops, etc) and many body shops can patch the frame. Usually about $500 per patch, depending on how big a patch is needed. Keep her alive, mang! Not many of these cars left, especially the Merc 2-doors.
                I know, that's why I was asking for some opinions I was told by the mechanic that patching it would work, but if I was intending on keeping and driving it on a daily basis, then cutting sections from a good car and welding them in would be the better approach. Any merit to this? I'll have to look up some restoration body shops around here....in the mean time, is it safe to drive?

Comment

Depends on how bad it is.
                  Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Where are you located? If you put it in your profile locals may be helpful.

Jay
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Orrville, oh....when I have access to an actual computer I'll finish up my profile lol

Comment

another option is to find a good frame,then remove the body and put in on the good frame.....expensive,dpending on your facilities and abilities...im in Barberton...welcome to the club...also I belive that 2door and 4 door frames are the same for both the box LTD crown vic and the Grand Marquis.....im not far away,maybe I can come look at it soon (I have a 2door LTD and a Town Car)
                        Last edited by Guest; 04-02-2013, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Buy a nice, solid southern body and swap everything in/on yours over.
                          They are still not that hard to find in the south.

Comment

yeah they rust there. Mine had a hole on the driver's side where the trans linkage is. Its more common to let go on the passenger side though. I've seen pictures of cars that had basically nothing between the A pillar and the rear axle area. The entire rail under the doors was simply rotted away to nothing. I know folks have fixed this, and I know of at least one frame swap after the rotted frame broke in half after an accident. Swapping the frame is involved, but not impossible if you've got the tooling and know-how. A bunch of us have replaced the body mounts, which involves unbolting the body from the frame and jacking it up. Rolling the frame out is a bit more involved since there is wiring and plumbing and an engine in the way but in a very basic way, everything on these will disconnect if you find all the bolts.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Agree on a frame swap. It will be expensive to ship another car from a rust free area of the US. It may be worth it, depending on your ability and the costs
                              I have a rust free two door parts car in Ca for sale. $400. Shipping could cost you $800-1,000.
                              Fixing what you have could be good depending on who fixes it. Not everyone knows how to fix a frame.

Comment

Working...
                              X