Rear view mirrors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear view mirrors

Needs some rearview mirror tech, hopefully somebody has travelled this path already.

What year range of fords (or other manufactures, GM, Mopar, YoYo, etc) utilize the same windshield mount as the 1989 box so I don't need to mess with changing mirror mounts.

Alex.
    (My rearview is de-silvering)

Okay, we'll try a different angle;

Anybody got a heads up on a mirror mount catalog somewhere on the web? Glass guys can get 'em, so somebody must catalog 'em.

Alex.

Comment

I know I have the same mount in all my panthers... so there's gotta be a crap ton of Fords with the same mount.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

My 85 mirror mount (button) was just a typical screw type. Meaning any rear view mirror that uses a screw to hold it to the mount will work. These are good because the other type is a wedge type that usually takes glass with it when pulled off.

The screw kind just need the screw taken out and slide the mirror up and off. When you get a new mirror just get one that has a screw as well. The ones from Saturn views use a screw type and I have one in my car using my original mount. Many other cars have them too though.

Some of the screws are torx though. Like T20 I think.

Just don't get a wedge style because they are nearly impossible to get off without taking the mount with it.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

Ill add that when I tried gettin an auto dim compass mirror from a newer Grand Marquis (2001?) it was a wedge type. It was very loose on my original mount and was terrible compared to the screw type I have now.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

I'd just mount the new mirror you want directly below the original mount and call it good. The old mount still being there will hardly be noticeable. You could also try modifying the wedge portions of the new mirror to hang on to the old mount better. That metal in the Gentex bases is very strong and I'd bet if you got it just right it'd be ok.

Some Gentex bases have that offset circuit board at the base with its own cover and you could also hide the old mount under that.

Or you could maybe heat up the old mount with a hair dryer to simulate the hot days that always seem to make the adhesive fail and try to razor blade it off there. DO NOT pry on it with anything. (Ask me how I know...)
            Last edited by Ike Clanton; 04-09-2013, 04:01 PM.

Comment

I'll have a look at Saturns and other General products for screw mounted mirrors. The box panthers I looked in didn't have mirrors in much better shape than mine.

That wedge ?-1997 cvgms sucks. Designed by somebody who had no intention of ever removing it.

The spring clip 1998+ cvgms are a bit wobbly (complete opposite to the wedge), but be darned if I could get that mount off the windshield. Used to be able to smack them on the side with something heavy and they would pop right off. Not this thing, it stayed put even with some additional brute force thrown into the equation.

I Don't like low mounted mirrors, gets in my line of sight. My mirrors are jammed up at the headliner to get them out of my way as it is.
              Quite a few of the gentex mirrors available. But I don't adjust my rear view mirror for night driving, lights at the rear never really bothered me. I also suspect my rear tint would probably make it non-functional anyway. Which is what brought me to make this thread.

Alex.

Comment

The gentex in my town car works through my tint and the back is pretty dark.

But it does get pretty dark at night

Comment

Clip one of these on.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-JD...57c4f6&vxp=mtr

But since you're looking for something less obstructive to your view than you probably won't like it cause it's HUGE. I'm fond of them though.

Comment

I installed a gentex 177 mirror from a 2002 Grand Marquis a few months ago. Was the same kind of base as in my 84 marquis, just the one torx screw on the front and it slides off the top. It seems they put that mirror in tons of cars in the early 2000's, lots of ford and gm models. $26 from ebay.
                    Attached Files

1984 Grand Marquis GS - CFI-SEFI conversion, Explorer 302, GT40 intakes, GT40P heads, 1.7 roller rockers, HO Cam, ASP Underdrive Pulley, 2.5" Dual exhaust, Flowmaster Delta 50 mufflers, 3.55 Trac-Lock, Rear disk's, Moog cargo coils, ES rear poly bushings, PI front and rear sway bars, 3G alt., Mark VIII fan, custom Auto-meter dash
                    1990 Crown Victoria Country Squire - Explorer 302, HO cam, dual exhaust, 3.55 Trac-Lock, PI rear sway bar (SOLD)
                    1982 LTD Wagon (R.I.P.) -|-1984 Grand Marquis LS(R.I.P.)

Comment

Dear Panthers,

Since the gentex inside mirror controls the gentex outside mirrors and since I have legal Va tint and in the Shooting Brake its a long way from the mirror to that puny (tinted) tailgate window, I worried. It works fine. Must be some sort of compensator in the mirror for normal daylight.

Donald McCaig

Comment

Working...
                      X