No announcement yet.

Good head and HO cam combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a firm believer in "P" heads....Also, the intake ports on the gt40's are slightly larger than HO, I always order intake gaskets for an explorer when I do the swap and they match up almost perfectly, 10minutes with a simple tool like a dremel would allow perfect port matching...and port matching the intake to the heads is worth it's weight in gold if you can do it yourself. I had an '88 Cougar with a stone stock HO and a 5 speed, cooked the heads and replaced them with '96 GT40 (non-P) heads and an explorer intake and 1.7rr's. That car was an animal afterwards...until it ran out of fuel pump at 3000rpm...before all that, it was around 4200rpm....an 88lph fuel pump was not nearly enough.

-Don
    '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

GT40 or P heads will probably still put you into mass air territory. I know mine with ported E7 heads and the Explorer intake ran too lean on stock speed density. It probably still runs too lean but at least it doesn't rattle like a paint can all the time now. An HO cam or a Cobra cam if you can find one would work well. Cobra cam would give you a little more bottom end vs the HO stick. I've got an Explorer cam which is nice for bottom end, but it runs out of steam not all that much higher than the stock cam. I can get 4500-4800 out of it but its pretty much done beyond that. In all honesty if I ever get motivated to play with the motor again, the Explorer cam comes out, a ported Explorer intake goes on, along with either an XE258 or maybe even just a stock HO stick, and whatever valvetrain and ECM tuning is needed.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
        Even a stock HO can make a bunch of power with a tune.

Any upgrade over a stock HO will require tuning. Just some exhaust port cleanup on a set of E7s will help a little. The HO is a good upgrade from a lopo and is nice because of the stockness.

I think that is why I want basically a stockish HO because of ease of it.

Again Thanks everyone for the advise. I truly appreciate all of the incite.

I think I will be on the lookout for the ported e7's or gt40p's for sure as that seems like the road I want to travel down. If ia tune is needed at least it wont be as involved as tuning a car with 24lb injectors etc etc. I don;t even know how the mustang computer would react!
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post

Also would this gasket kit fit my application? (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fe...5449/overview/) Not sure if there are differences I should be aware of between mustang (normal applications) and mine.

Bump. Gaskets work? Am I just thinking something about reverse rotation pumps or something?
          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

the gasket sets typically include 3 or 4 water pump gaskets, one of which will be the right one. That one has standard, reverse, and SN95 water pump gaskets in it.

Honestly tuning something with 19# injectors is no more involved than doing one with 24#. There is a bit in the computer that has the injector size. Its just a matter of changing that value from 19 to 24, and that part is done. Its the fuel and timing curve tweaking that can get involved. In a way, its not any different than engine tuning has ever been. Instead of changing springs and stop plates in the distributor and jets in the carb, you're doing it with a computer but its the same idea.

I do appreciate the value of stock though. The Mark VII is dead stock, but I've got a better lower intake and a set of rebuilt P heads for it. I can't bring myself to put them on though because I know it will screw with something and frankly I don't want to deal with it. It runs absolutely smooth as it is with no pinging, rattling, surging, or any other crappy behaviors that make it annoying to drive.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up Thain. Being that this is all still a years or so away who knows what the hell I will do.
              ~David~

Comment

Hmm. I see some custom tunes are available without bringing the car anyplace for super fine tuning......

http://www.americanmuscle.com/sct-4b...om-8793gt.html
                Attached Files
                ~David~

Comment

The pipes that bolt to the back of the heads dealing something with the egr.....looks like the TFS 170 heads don't have holes for that. What would need to be done so no codes up come from deleting this system?
                  ~David~

Comment

the air injection holes... the codes that come up from eliminating that stuff just set memory codes but don't trip the MIL/CEL. you'll need a tune eventually anyhow, so just tune those out at that time.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yeah I did some reading and it confirms what you said.....I can just get it "tuned" out!
                      ~David~

Comment

With the stuff I mentioned earlier you can turn off smog. That way they don't even come up in the self tests, and you can get rid of the solenoids too!

Comment

it wont light anything up even without a tune. It just kicks out codes for the thermactor stuff if you don't tune it out. If you tune it out, no problem.

Comment

Working...
                          X