Dash question, 85 to 88

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dash question, 85 to 88

So I'm trying to find ways to work on my car without spending money...lol. I plan to install bucket seats and center console from my old '88 T-bird into my 85 CV...I also want to put the dash from my 88 parts car into my 85. I figured I could mock everything up in the 88 and when I'm ready, install it all in my 85 with minimal hassle...my question is...does the entire dash(frame and all) need to be swapped, or will everything from the 88 fit the 85 dash frame? I also plan to make filler panels to go from the center console up to the 88 dash, but if any dimensions or anything change when swapped into the 85, I would not be a happy camper. I'm sure people here have done dash swaps and would like to know how deep I actually have to go into it. I would assume ford made as few changes as possible to save money, but I don't want to take the gamble of tearing apart my daily driver to find out otherwise.

Thanks in advance,
    Don
    '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

I think the only change on the 88 is the center brace behind the ash tray on the driver side. That was added to help prevent sagging. Other than that, I think it's all the same.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

That sounds simple enough to deal with. I'm starting to get tired of dumping money into my quad and getting bored with it...I need to get refocused and get back to the car!

-Don
      '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
        I think the only change on the 88 is the center brace behind the ash tray on the driver side. That was added to help prevent sagging. Other than that, I think it's all the same.
        I believe the same. The main dash itself is the same on mercury from 79-89 to the best of my knowledge.

Comment

You will need a new glove box door and you will have to fill a bunch of holes because the earlier CV dashes had more trim on them.

Comment

Working...
          X