'88 Town Car 3G upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'88 Town Car 3G upgrade

Im looking for a 3G upgrade for my 1988 Lincoln Town Car. What exactly does the upgrade do and does it require anything special? Like i dont needa special bracket for it or anything do I?

http://chrisb.users.superford.org/Br...lternator.html

Also many post on this site about the subject.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

An alternator from a mid-90's Taurus with the 3.0 engine will fit into the existing bracket. It's an easy job and it's as simple as following the wiring diagrams. Before you start the swap I would go out and buy a larger alternator belt. 505K6 should fit with the new alternator and you won't have to swap the pulley either. Also make sure to grab the charge cable, megafuse, and pigtail cables from the same car (or one like it.) The top bore on the 3G where the adjusting bolt goes through isn't threaded, so you may also need to buy a longer bolt and nut to fit through there. The other hole might need to be drilled out a little bit, but that may not be the case for you.

Here's how mine ended up looking. It's definitely a worthwhile swap!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2fnfv.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	1272062

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
      2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
      2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

Working...
      X