04 Audio System

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

04 Audio System

I wanted to start a thread about a new Audio/Nav system for the 04.

It all started with looking for a head unit. I'm spoiled by the 2012 LaCrosse and all it's built in OEM goodness, so a DD Nav head unit was going to fit the bill. After much research and a smoking deal I went with a Pioneer Avic Z140. This unit had an MSRP of $1500 when introduced last year. Amazon end of product cycle sale, $609.98. Yes, its a 2012 model, but still pretty damn loaded with features.

System will be as follows:

AVIC Z140 DD Nav unit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pioneer-avic-z140-dvd-navi-7-touch-screen.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	1300565

Metra Steering Wheel control adapter

Rockford (most likely) 5x7s front and rear. My last thing to pick out. I was also thinking maybe 5 1/4 components up front with tweeters in the sail panels. I'm totally undecided, but need to at least figure out the rears because while the backseat is out I'll be installing those.

Crimestopper Backup Cam. Installed under lip near license plate lamp. This will be a bit of a challenge, as I think I may need to take off the entire light panel off the trunk. I don't like the "license plate" cams, they look tacked on to me.

I have two Alpine V12 amps that I just unearthed from storage. They were pretty nice "back in the day" I can't see them not working as they were perfect when removed. I think the 4 channel is 50x4 and the two channel is 100x2. I always thought they were underrated when I was using them.

Sub will be a single 12 that I **hope** to house next the spare tire. I have an option of some older Orion XTR or Boston Acoustics, both are on hand. I can't remember if the Bostons are dual voice coil or not but I know the Orions are. I may have to build a custom box for up there. It may be a little small, but if I stuff it with polyfill I think it can work. If not I'll sell all the 12's I have and buy a 10 that will work better in a smaller enclosure.

KnuKonceptz OFC power wire (4gauge) into smaller 8 gauge running off distribution block.
    KnuKonceptz Karma braided speaker wire.

Rockford RCAs

Amps will be mounted on board behind spare tire attached to seatback frame, either carpeted to match trunk, or painted black.

Need to figure out GPS antenna placement, but I'm thinking either extreme corner of the dash or just try it attached to the top of the head unit.

Microphone for bluetooth phone will be high up on driver's A pillar or attached to the overhead console.

I'm super busy right now so this install will most likely be done in little stages, but I'll do my best to take pictures and document what I do. There is a STELLAR thread of interior disassemby on MM.net. It has certainly made me feel pretty confident on the install. I figure if 10 years ago I did a similar system in a box, I can do it in a whale. The biggest problem I can see is the head unit. There is a little trimming of the dash, but there is a lot of wires coming off the head and very little room back there. Others have cut the bottom area of the opening, I'm sure I'll have to all well. There appears to be a lot of open space between the HVAC controls and the radio.

Thoughts/Opinions??
    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

sounds like a good plan. Though, I'd mount the amp behind the box instead of the tire. There's virtually no room directly behind the tire.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yeah, it looks tight back there and I have a full size spare too. I'll have to measure and see.

As I was working today, this was dropped off! Like Christmas morning!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130415_112858_362.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	1272068
      2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
      Past Panthers
      1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Comment

Awesome! I'll be watching with interest.

The only comment I have is, I think I'd get tweeters up higher than the door mounts even if it's not a component system.

Pete
        For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
        1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
        1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Originally posted by Piece-it pete View Post

The only comment I have is, I think I'd get tweeters up higher than the door mounts even if it's not a component system.

Pete
          You are probably right. I think for now I'm gonna go with the Rockfords all around, then when i see the right deal a nice upgrade woud be a high end component set. I'm getting close to the planned budget and a top of the line component set would put me over.
          Past Panthers

Comment

tweet is pretty dang good in my cars with 2/3/4 way speakers (depending on car/speaker location). only the Mark has anything in the dash. The rest are in the doors or rear deck.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

That is a very nice double din unit. These days, waiting for last years model does pay off. Pioneer stuff can be had for a good price.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Working...
              X