Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gauging interest in a batch of Long Tube headers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gauging interest in a batch of Long Tube headers...

I'm looking to prototype a set of long tube headers in 1 5/8" primaries for a 302/AOD combo with OE shift linkage....I'm also going to try to take into consideration clearance for a clutch cable so they can still be used if you change transmissions. There would have to be a TON of interest for me to prototype a set as that alone will cost about $300 and plenty of my time. I've gotten some preliminary pricing and am awaiting answers from a few other companies on pricing/turn around time/minimum batch size.

So far, I would need a minimum batch of 25 sets and building them would cost $7k-10k up front. Again, I'm looking for serious interest not tire kicking "that would be cool" kinda interest. Once I hear back from the other manufacturers, I'll have a better idea on pricing and options. Pricing wouldn't be cheap, but who's making direct fit longtube headers for our cars?...well, maybe me eventually. I'll also be posting this on CVN to try to reach as many Panther enthusiats as possible, so if you're a member there too, I would appreciate a response in only one forum or the other.

Thanks,
    Don
    '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Stainless works already make kick ass long tubes for the 4.6 cars in both SOHC and DOHC flavors, and 92-02 and 03+. There's also a few other company that make longtubes for them as well.

I would certainly be interested in some for our boxes. I can tell you right now I'd buy at least 2 pairs, more if that's what it takes for them to be made. Unfortunately I don't think there will be much interest from others.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I'd be in for a set.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I know stainless works makes a good product, but with two problems for us...pricey and not for the boxes. I'm not looking for committed, pay-me-now interest at the moment...but I need to see enough interest to justify prototyping a set and I can post video and pics of fitament. I don't see the finished product costing any more than the average set of LT mild steel headers, but I'll see how the other companies come in on pricing before trying to set a price for the finished product with gaskets and hardware. Worst case scenario, I prototype a set and nobody is serious about them and I'll just sell them to you! lol

-Don
        '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Sweet...interest is building, tell your friends! lol

Comment

I really hope this happens.
            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

We'll see how many people show interest...the sad thing is, it would actually cost more if i built headers myself...lol.

Comment

I'm interested......while i dont own a box i plan on having one in the future as a drag car to keep my foxes company and LT's are on my wish list
                Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

wanna buy my Mark VI for a door slammer?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Just heard back from Hedman...they want a $6k tooling cost paid upfront just to make up the jigs and fixtures and were unable to give me any per unit pricing on the actual headers...I won't be going that way! If it becomes too cost prohibitive or not enough people have interest or the ability to give a deposit, I may still try to prototype a set, make a jig, then cut the flanges and collectors off and see about having all the primaries mandrel bent somewhere and welding them together myself.

Again, I need to see more interest yet before I'll even start prototyping.

I'll keep updates coming when I hear anything more.

-Don

Comment

You purchase mandrel bends of different radii and straights and weld them togeather. You dont have mandrel bends made. Thats how custom fab companys make them.
                      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                        You purchase mandrel bends of different radii and straights and weld them togeather. You dont have mandrel bends made. Thats how custom fab companys make them.
                        If I had a tig welder, sure, no problems. But I won't sell anybody headers that look like they were made in some guys back yard with welds all over the place. That's how I would make the prototype, but production pieces would have to be MUCH nicer.

Comment

Just got off the phone with Mac, which is the only company that seems to have interest...they'll be putting together some more definitive numbers for me and there is(didn't tell me the first phone conversation) a "jig-fee" or $1500-5000 depending on how complex the headers are...they shouldn't be too complex so I'm figuring lower on the price scale...I may be able to get a set of off the shelf headers and modify them to be direct replacements for our cars and that could save a little on the jig fee, but price per unit would remain unchanged...

I'm getting pricing every which way so I know what kind of options we have....the only downside is they will NOT make a one piece flange at the head....which is fine and doesn't affect installation...but if you ever have to take them off to do a head job, you need a pry bar to line them back up. The jig fee would be calculated into the first batch if this happens which would equate to about $50-$150 per unit depending on how much it costs....once I get some options priced out, I can get a fairly close price per unit plus shipping.

That's where we stand!
                          -Don

Comment

I don't think I'd ever want another MAC header. I had a set of equal length shorties on my 87 sedan. Nothing but leaks.
                            Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                              I don't think I'd ever want another MAC header. I had a set of equal length shorties on my 87 sedan. Nothing but leaks.
                              I've had great results with them...copper gaskets have always leaked on me, but after replacing them with fel-pro gaskets, life was good....if there was a manufacturing defect, I'd be on their ass in a hurry! lol

Comment

Working...
                              X