Clear All

Bison (1990 Grand Marquis)

THE STORY
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02795.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	1300575
    It was the beginning of August 2012 and I had a road trip coming up soon. My wife, my brother in law and myself were planning to drive a few states over in my brother-in-laws blazer. Weeks before we were set to head out his blazer took a shit. My 94 Taurus definitely couldn't make it so I figured now was as good a time as any to buy a car.

I checked craigslist and from the beginning I saw an ad for the 1990 Mercury Grand Marquis with 71,000 miles on it. I loved it, it reminded me of what my grandpa drove when I was a kid, but I tried to look at something a little more... practical... I guess... but I couldn't stop thinking about the Grand Marquis. So I went and took it for a test drive with my wife and we took it to a shop for a pre-purchase inspection. I loved it the second I sat down, my wife enjoyed it as well.

The shop I took it to (not my usual guy, who was too far away) said that it had a gas leak on the the seam where the fuel pump housing sits against the tank and that the suspension in the back needs replaced. They even said they could fix the fuel leak for 3-400 bucks so I thought, that's not too bad, but considering the cost of repairs the car itself was not worth what they were asking for it. I went back and tried to get the price down. He took off five hundred but wouldn't go any lower, I said I'm sorry I can't do it and left... or so I thought.

I literally dreamed about that car when I went to sleep that night and it was the first thing on my mind when I woke up... I had to have it. I went back the next day and bought it from the stern old man and his wife. They had inherited it from the wife's mother (the original owner) who had passed away in 2009. I soon found out that in the few years that this car was in their possession they apparently let it go to shit. It could have been worse though.

After purchasing the car, registering the plates and switching my insurance I drove away with a big ass smile on my goofy face. The first place I stopped at was an Arby's and as the guy who worked there came up to the window he stopped in his tracks and said "Hold up... that's a nice ass car man!". Within an hour or two of buying it I got my first compliment, sweet.

I drove it straight to work then straight to my regular mechanic ZB. I told ZB about the fuel leak and right away he told me that, depending on how bad it was, it might cost more than the car is worth to fix it and that if I had taken it to him he would have told me not to buy it... that goofy smile on my face turned into a look of serious concern very quickly. So I left it with ZB and I know that he is usually very busy with customers lining up at his smaller sized shop so it usually takes a few days.

A few days go by so I called to find out he hasn't even looked at it yet, his head mechanic is in the hospital dying of lung cancer, smoked his whole life. Damn, it was unfortunate but the clock was ticking and I needed this car, and FAST! Eight days went by and he never looked at it, I don't blame him, the walls were closing in on him, he was doing his best. I had to pick it up and take it somewhere else, problem is NO ONE WOULD EVEN DO IT! The guys that originally quoted me said they couldn't do it (WTF???) and that I should call a dealership. Dealerships were all the way across town, no way that was happening if I couldn't afford to take anymore time off work before my trip. Other people were saying they don't work on those models or that if its the fuel lines then they don't sell them anymore. I had already bought the damn car AND a new tire and other bs for it, I was almost broke. I considered putting that gas tank putty crap all around the seam temporarily but I didn't want it to cost me more in the long run when I have to replace all of that shit. I was fucked. I kind of rushed into buying this car so I could take it on this trip and I WASN'T EVEN GONNA TAKE IT ON THE DAMN TRIP! I was pissed. Right about this time I was pulling out of an Advanced Auto Parts while examining every major mistake I've ever made in life and wondering if buying this car was the biggest of them all, and that's when it happened...

Coming from my left I saw a grand marquis driving down the road in front of me. It was the same beige color as mine and from my perspective it was nearly identical. As the car came a little closer I could see that the owner was an older man with the same big smile across his face that I had across mine. But that's not all, this old man was a white man with a shaved head a long beard on his chin and a pair of sunglasses. Now this may sound weird but that's my fuckin style! I've been wearing a long chin beard shaved head and shades for years now, it's just my look. But also there was a female in the passenger seat, she too was older and she had long straight dark hair... my wife has long straight dark hair... I felt reaaallly funny all of a sudden, like a twilight zone moment, like I'm looking into an alternate dimension at my future self. Then he honked at me and both of them waved and smiled. I just sat there with a dumb ass look on my face and waved back as they drove past.

It may sound weird, it may sound like hippie shit to you, but that's when I knew that buying this car wasn't a mistake. That's when I knew that this was my car and that I was going to do everything I could to get it in tip top condition and keep it that way. As for the trip, we wound up getting the blazer up and running, no AC but we rocked it.

When I got back from the trip it didn't take me long to pick a suiting name for my beast. In reference to the famous "Buffalo Bill" I chose to call my car Bill Bison because it reminds me of the grace and brute strength of a big mean bison.

Name:	bison2.jpg
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1300574

THE GHASTLY GAS LEAK

Now the first problem I tackled with Bison was the ghastly gas leak. At first I thought it couldn't be THAT bad, I stuck my head up under there and couldn't smell any gas, couldn't see anything leaking. Then I filled it up just above half way and all of a sudden there it was, a waterfall of expensive flammable liquid pouring out of my car. It was leaking from right where the fuel pump housing fits against the side of the tank. From what I had read I figured that it was likely an old and busted rubber O-ring or something. If I kept it below a half tank it was fine although I'm sure it wasn't good for it, or necessarily safe.

I drove it to and from work from time to time while I was waiting for my finances to get right so I could send it back to the shop to get fixed. Then one day I was coming home from work and I heard a terrible thud followed by a scraping noise from under my car. I knew what it was right away. Bisons muffler was rusted to shit and was on my list of things to do but I guess it just couldn't wait. The thing fell to the ground and was dragging... you know, right next to my leaky gas tank! I slowed down and pulled over, luckily it wasn't in a busy area. I started calling my wife so she could come bring out some of my tools so I could get this bitch yanked off of my car and get home. She wasn't picking up, my phone was dying... it was cold. Finally she picked up and came out and I proceeded to unscrew, kick, pull, yank and curse at my car until people came out of their homes... ah fuck em. Finally I just cut the rubber things that held what was left of the muffler and tailpipe up, threw the crap in my trunk and got the hell out of there.

I knew this gas leak had to be taken car of pronto so that I could move on to my exhaust. I took it to ZB and he confirmed my suspicion that the o-ring was old and cracked so he pulled the tank and put another fuel pump in it that came with a new O-ring and threw a new fuel filter on there. I drove away thinking everything was fine, excited for my first full tank of gas and all of sudden... YUP... It was STILL leaking!

I took it back and ZB pulled the tank down again and this time realized that the weld was busted right on the seam where the O-ring sits. It's a reasonable mistake, he should have been more thorough but he's still got my business. He put a new tank on it and went easy on the bill, and finally FINALLY! I could fill up my tank and not have to worry about explodering. Thus was the end of the ghastly gas leak.

Comment

COOLING SYSTEM CONUNDRUM

The next chapter in the story of Bill Bison is the Cooling System Conundrum! You can read more about that here My Cooling System Conundrum.

To summarize the previous owners had left the car to sit with water in the cooling system and it caused a large amount of crud, rust, corrosion and all sorts of nasty crap to fester in the cess pool that was my cooling system. This is an ongoing problem that will likely never be completely resolved, just maintained to best of my ability. I've done multiple flushes, replaced the water pump and installed a Tefba filter and I will soon be replacing the heater core, radiator, and all of the hoses to hopefully get this issue a little more under control.

Comment

WHERE I'M AT NOW

After my last few experiences with the mechanics around here I figured it would be best for both Bison and my budget for me to take on this problem (and most problems from then on) by myself. That is what led me here to the real mecca of panther knowledge GrandMarq.Net. There's a lot of work to be done but I'm in it for the long haul.

Here's a list of what's been done and what I plan to do, it's somewhat in order. My to do list will most definitely change with time and hopefully shrink before it grows. Many parts I already have they're just waiting to be installed.

DONE

Peeled RIP decal off the back window...
        Washed, waxed and vacuumed
        one new tire
        oil change
        New fuel tank, pump, and filter
        fixed power steering leak
        new belts
        new coolant pump and thermostat
        new turning signal flasher
        new rear turning signal bulbs
        installed Tefba filter

TO DO

Replace rad hoses and heater hoses
        replace the heater core
        replace the radiator
        Fix oil leak
        Cat cons, Y-Pipe, muffler, tailpipe
        new spark plugs, wires, cap, rotor
        new vacuum hoses
        Tires and rims
        replace taillights
        Touch up the paint
        mud flaps
        paint undercarriage/rust prevention
        dye vinyl
        window vent visors
        Rear window defroster repair
        interior decorating
        c-d player
        tint
        Push Bumper
        Luggage Rack
        Chrome fender trim
        maybe an alarm
        Train horn
        new battery
        Seat covers
        leather steering wheel cover

Comment

And finally... PICTURES!

These are on the roof of the parking garage at Columbus State Community College overlooking downtown Columbus Ohio, my hometown.

Name:	DSC02786.JPG
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	1272117Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02788.JPG
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	1272118Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02789.JPG
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	1272119Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02791-2.JPG
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	1272120Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02791-3.JPG
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	1272121Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02793.JPG
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	1272122Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02796.JPG
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1272123Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02798.JPG
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	1272124Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02803.JPG
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	1272125
          Attached Files
          Last edited by BuffaloRider; 04-17-2013, 12:08 AM.

Comment

In Cincinnati on a trip to see the Dead Sea scrolls.

Name:	DSC02700.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	1272127Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02701.jpg
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	1272128Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02702.jpg
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	1272129

Name:	DSC02780.jpg
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	1272130Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02781.jpg
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	1272131Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02782.jpg
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1272132

Comment

Nice MGM!!! I really enjoyed the 4th and 8th pics in the first set of pics.

Packman

Comment

I like it!

The body looks to be in better shape than my 91. The cooling system sounds similar to mine as well since it sat for about 6 years before I bought it.

I know that feeling of doubt after buying mine as well, I took a week off from work when I first got mine so that I could swap the trans from my 89 and have some time to find all the problems caused by sitting that long.
                In the end, I bought it for $500 and put about $400 into it and has been driving daily since October 2012, so not a bad deal. I just had to get past the initial stage of "oh crap, why did I buy another old car that I knew had problems?"

Once things settle down at home and work, I'll get my RR thread going.
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Great post!

Pete
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                  1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                  1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Love it and the write ups. Keep it up.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Pic #8 in the first series is epic.
                      '79 Continental Town Car
                      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Thanks for all the positive feedback guys, it's greatly appreciated! It feels good to be around people who understand why these cars are the shit.

I got really really REALLY good news! My mother was just approved for disability which is an extremely good thing for my entire family. Not only will I have more money to fix up my car, but she said that she'd help me with repair and parts costs. If she hadn't been approved then she would have had to go back to work and she just isn't physically or mentally capable of it. And if she did go back to work I'd probably be driving to and from the east side to watch my disabled brother meaning more miles on my car and less time and money to work on it.

I hate to sound like my car is the only thing I care about but I'm just posting this because it greatly effects the future of this vehicle. In fact it is probably the best news I've heard concerning my car since I got it and certainly the best news I've heard concerning my family in a LONG time.

There will be many more updates to come, but probably not much for the next couple weeks because it is now mushroom season and I will be fully occupied by the great morel hunt. and the wife's car needs a little attention "you spend all this time and money on your car but you leave me driving around in a piece of shit!"... damnit, she's got a point.

Comment

Alright! Morel season has been over for a week or two now and it's time for a long overdue update. Well, I'll start by saying that I didn't have much luck this season, but the ones I found, woooooooh baby were they good!

ANYWAYS, my odometer just rolled over to 74k yesterday morning as I left for work.

Name:	Photo0070.jpg
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	1272400
                          I changed the oil after work for the first time doing it myself. I wasn't ready for the front oil pan drain plug to shoot oil out as far as it did so yeah, it definitely won't be as messy next time.

I got my first speeding ticket in my box, hoooray! Also the first traffic violation I've had in.... hmmm... well, about 6 years. It cost me $142 going 64 in a 50 (I thought it was 55). I had a passenger in the car and I always get a heavy foot on open roads when I'm distracted. I'm just glad I had the cash to pay it. Cruise control homies, use it.

Now for happier news, I finally pulled the panel off my back passenger door and pulled out the power window motor. There was plastic confetti inside, nothing but tiny little pieces. I bought the cheap replacement bushings and they looked like they were made to fall apart in a year or two so I took the specs from it, wrote up a quick program at the machine shop I work at and made some steel ones, put it all back together and it's all gravy! Also the window motor was a PITA to get out with a standard wrench so I got a hole saw and cut through the sheet metal the bolts were hiding behind so I could ratchet it up. I feel like it was a good decision, anyone else have any opinions on this?

Then I tackled the front passenger window motor. The window motors were different for both doors, I'm guessing one was replaced at some time. My luxury car is feeling a little more luxurious now that I've got most of the windows working. It's great. For the first week I was constantly rolling my windows down and up and thinking "WINNING!" I also did my ritual of throwing my arms up and saying "I AM MAN! I FIX ______!" in a caveman voice.

I've still been putting off my large "surgery" of replacing damn near every part of the cooling system. I've had two websites give me the runaround on an all-aluminum radiator so I'll probably just pick up whatever they have at the local parts store at some point. Since I don't need my heater right now and the engine has no problem staying cool it's not necessarily a priority but it will happen before august at the very latest.

Right now I'm looking for new rims and tires I'm also starting to study up on brakes as they are getting squeeky and probably need to be taken care of soon. I'm also about to get catalytic converters and hopefully some lincoln log headers so I can install a whole new (errr usedish) exhaust system. And I really need to patch up these rust spots on the rear quarter panels before they bite me in the ass.

There's more to say, but I'll say it when it's more worth saying. No ones gonna read this... it's WAY too long LOL!
                          Last edited by BuffaloRider; 05-25-2013, 01:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloRider View Post
                            TO DO

No Cat cons, H-Pipe, mufflers, tailpipes
                            Fixed that for you
                            88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                            Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloRider View Post
                              Also the window motor was a PITA to get out with a standard wrench so I got a hole saw and cut through the sheet metal the bolts were hiding behind so I could ratchet it up. I feel like it was a good decision, anyone else have any opinions on this?
                              I always drill holes in the doors, as you probably noticed there are little dimples/divots that indicate where to drill where the bolts are located.
                              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Working...
                              X