Quick Q about internals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick Q about internals

I know that the HO 5liters in the foxes and such recieved roller cams first, then so did the trucks and us. What about forged pistons? Did we ever get any leftovers or is a feature exclusive to a particular model? Did exploders ever get forged slugs?
    1992 SHO(what's left of it)
    1986 F-150(rust and option free)
    1950 Studebaker pickup(moves-kinda, stops-no)
    1987 T-bird(dead 3.wait, SHO swap in store)
    1991 CV $500 cream puffF

Ho blocks got forged pistons up to 92, everything after that was hyperteutetic . trucks and cars got dished pistons. the Ho block also had a diff balance and flywheel balance as well.
    i preffer forged pistons over the others due to that i have nitrous use in the future plans.
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

the HO motor did not have a different balance or flywheel. Pre-1982 motors were 28 ounce imbalance, after 82 they were all 50 ounce. The only difference in flywheels is whether its manual or automatic.

Hypers hold up just fine in N/A form and will take 100 or so shot of nitrous without melting. The stock lopo pistons are cast dished though, and they're most useful as paperweights or ashtrays. They work out OK for N/A use but you actually end up with less useful piston to valve clearance, and probably lower compression to boot. I know if you lose a timing chain with a stock lopo motor, it bends valves. I can tell you from experience that if you do the same thing with the valve relieved pistons and a Explorer cam, nothing happens.

As for the roller cams, we got them before trucks did. The 5.0 HO with a 5 speed only in 1985 had a roller cam, and from 86 onward all car 5.0 engines, both HO and non-HO got a roller cam. Trucks got it I think in 1993.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I was gonna sboot for boost sometime in the future. Just checking. Thanks.
        1992 SHO(what's left of it)
        1986 F-150(rust and option free)
        1950 Studebaker pickup(moves-kinda, stops-no)
        1987 T-bird(dead 3.wait, SHO swap in store)
        1991 CV $500 cream puffF

Comment

I know that 92 and 93 F150s had the same engine... so probably started in 92 with the roller on the trucks.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            the HO motor did not have a different balance or flywheel. Pre-1982 motors were 28 ounce imbalance, after 82 they were all 50 ounce. The only difference in flywheels is whether its manual or automatic.

Hypers hold up just fine in N/A form and will take 100 or so shot of nitrous without melting. The stock lopo pistons are cast dished though, and they're most useful as paperweights or ashtrays. They work out OK for N/A use but you actually end up with less useful piston to valve clearance, and probably lower compression to boot. I know if you lose a timing chain with a stock lopo motor, it bends valves. I can tell you from experience that if you do the same thing with the valve relieved pistons and a Explorer cam, nothing happens.

As for the roller cams, we got them before trucks did. The 5.0 HO with a 5 speed only in 1985 had a roller cam, and from 86 onward all car 5.0 engines, both HO and non-HO got a roller cam. Trucks got it I think in 1993.
            aaahhhh i thought the balance was didd between a ho and a lopo motor, sorry for the mis imformation ill store this info away for future use.
            89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

I might be wrong, but didn't the 302 trucks have the roller capable block 87+?
              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

people running truck motors in panthers... makes me want my dads fuel injected 7.5L out of our 97 F-250... :3 its only got 33k
                Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                  I might be wrong, but didn't the 302 trucks have the roller capable block 87+?
                  think so. I think the blocks were all the same after 86 but the trucks just didn't get the roller cam until a few years later.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                  X