Best Way to Swap Headers on 88 TC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Way to Swap Headers on 88 TC?

being a 5.0 and all, there are def mustang headers in store for the Towny. however, being as i ONLY have experience with the tried and true carb setup, i have NO clue where to start with the exhaust swap for the EFI TC.

mine were had enough to swap on my Merc, and that was after the previous owner swapped on a carb. i punctuated on this by removing every part of the emissions bullshit i could. even with that out of the way it was difficult to get the headers in with the A/C in the way.

secondly. my dad has an 88 Fox and has Saleen headers with an offroad H into borla duals. he has a low and pulsing idle due to the fact he hasnt changed any of the computer or MAF sensors. i know the stangs have the O2 sensor and im assuming the Towny does too. so that may also present a problem.

the reason for the swap: the exhaust is shot. its got 3 leaks, 2 of which are BAD. one right at the muffler, one near the back and the pass. side manifold is leaking either at the head or the downpipe. were planning to get factory mustang shortys just as i did to replace the cast manifolds because they suck. since its not a carb i cant straight pipe it like im used to. so we'll probbly be on the lookout for an offroad H to delete those cats because fuck the ozone.

so heres the questions guys.

is there ANY problem with these ROUGH plans?.. what kind of problems are we looking at having to deal with as far as sensors and idle and what would you all say is the preferred or easiest method to swapping those headers on?

thanks in advance, help is always greatly valued.

rant is over
    Last edited by marquis_82_withneons; 04-22-2013, 01:44 AM.
    Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
    Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
    Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

It shouldn't be too hard at all. The only difference is that the townie will have O2 sensors that will need to be put Ito the new down pipes or a bung put on the headers for them.

I don't have an h pipe on my EFI car I just have 2 straight down pipes bolted to the shorties. o2 sensors on the down pipes.

Also there was a pipe for the smog pump on mine which I just took out, not sure if you'll have that problem. And there was a vacuum quick warm up flap for me, but again you shouldn't have that problem.

Ideally just get a complete front exhaust setup from a mustang or a mark 7, and I can't say (because I don't have one) but a mustang h pipe should have o2 bungs. You may need to extend the wires to them a fit a panther though. Which isn't hard at all.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

thats exellent, i was just worried about the idle being weird is all because i know there has to be similarities with my dad fox and the lincoln and we really dont need that extra headache.

did you take the manifolds out the top or bottom?
      Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
      Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
      Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

I had the car on ramps and drop the whole old exhaust including manifolds through the bottom.

The shorties I put the drivers side on through top, but the passenger side I had to wiggle in through bottom. I had someone else finger thread the bolts in as I held it, then I got up and torqued them down.

I tied the gasket to the header with a piece of string through one of the bolt holes to keep it in place as I worked it into place. Of you do this just take the string off before tightening it up all the way.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

sounds easy enough... but thats still not gonna be fun

Comment

Yeah man worst part is dealing with rusty bolts. But take an impact gun to it and it'll be easy

Comment

did you have any probs getting to the header bolts?.. i was lucky on mine. ill probably just spray the shit out of them with liquid wrench while its still warm.. hopefully thatll help. did you run duals out teh back?

Comment

unless the heads of the bolts snap off

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                  unless the heads of the bolts snap off

Yes, and on a 25 year old car.... very possible. I guess you could also try some heat if all else fails.
                  2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                  2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                  Past Panthers
                  1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                  if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

In all my experience, I have yet to see one of the manifold bolts break. Studs yes.
                    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

I put bbk 1515 headers on with no issues, a 302 is a 302, but if you dont have smog stuff deleted the pass side might give you a bit of an issue, cuase stuff in the way....but i dont worry about it, no smog, no ac ,no cats no problem. last set up i had was a set of down pipes from a offroad pipe and then had a pipe bent to match one of the ones i had cut off a few extensions and glass packs,wasnt too bad at all
                      89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by marquis_82_withneons View Post
                        did you have any probs getting to the header bolts?.. i was lucky on mine. ill probably just spray the shit out of them with liquid wrench while its still warm.. hopefully thatll help. did you run duals out teh back?
                        No they end at the axle for now. But like Zoomie said, passenger side will be more of a bitch because of a/c and emission stuff. I did have the bracket that holds the oil tube break but no big deal.

Comment

sounds good to me.. i believe were pulling the smog shit off today. so that ill help for the headers in the future. and by future i mean a few weeks.

ill be honest, i know NOTHING about engines aftert the carbs dissappeared.. i wasnt terrible worried about the install. just wanted to make sure there wasnt any breakables if i had to persuade the headers in.. doubt i will though. i was mainly worried about how it would idle and all that you know given the the engine will be breathing that much better. and the fact we have a new cone air filter on so less restriction there too. you know with all the sensors and shit i just didnt want the computer screwing up the running of the car and all..

after all its not even mine hahaha
                          thanks for the input everyone. this gave me the confidence i needed to do it. iw as getting skeptical there for a bit.

Comment

update.. got ALL the smog shit removed. air pump is still on but is all unhooked, all the tubes and crap are gone and got from teh muffler back all taken off.. THAT SUCKED!.. will post pics of the muff later. i was frustrated so it suffered some damage.

anywho. headers are soon to come and 2 1/4 pipes all the way to the axle with thrush glasspacks.

Comment

When you get them post a vid of the thrush glass packs because I've been contemplating putting some on my vic

Comment

Working...
                              X