HO Conversion Heads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HO Conversion Heads

So Im close to the conversion(down to head selection)....just kinda stumped on the heads.

I know I could get the E7 heads....but what if I went to the Thumper E7s or the GT40 heads; are these choices past "HO"????
    Anything additional one would nead to do...... if getting different heads?

I already have dual exhaust, and a higher stall convertor...........the missing link cometh.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

both are an upgrade beyond stock HO parts
    you may have problems with it running too lean on speed density though since they move more air. Or maybe it'll work.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Also, being ignorant of buying heads, what should I look for....as far as worth and quality?

Heres what I have been looking at:

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/pts/3751370368.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-TRUCK-V...a58705&vxp=mtr

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        both are an upgrade beyond stock HO parts
        you may have problems with it running too lean on speed density though since they move more air. Or maybe it'll work.

Cool, thanks man.....want to get rid of any maybees......so E7 it is or E7TE(?)

Comment

I'm using GT40's with speed density and no problems, the car runs great!!

Comment

Also remember with the gt40p's you'll need to run either 90 Town Car manifolds, or special headers.
            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by mcninetyone View Post
              I'm using GT40's with speed density and no problems, the car runs great!!
              see, and I ran ported E7 (E7 = E7TE, same thing) heads and it ran so lean that it sounded like a can of marbles under the hood all the time and on the dyno it showed a very lean air fuel ratio. I'd like to figure out the magic juju that makes some work and some not work.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                see, and I ran ported E7 (E7 = E7TE, same thing) heads and it ran so lean that it sounded like a can of marbles under the hood all the time and on the dyno it showed a very lean air fuel ratio. I'd like to figure out the magic juju that makes some work and some not work.
                Could it be dependent on little factors such as what part of the country (air density, pressure, etc) and condition of the whole engine? Perhaps slightly worn parts will not flow as well and such the computer can handle that better?
                2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                Past Panthers
                1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

So its not cut and dry for a conversion? In the sticky, it seems kind of straight forward.....
                  so I hear gadget with the air ratio....what are other pitfalls/issues?

Comment

I'm also using a Lincoln/HO speed density computer with those GT40's and Explorer cam.

Comment

thats basically it. It'll either run fine, or it will run lean. It may run lean but not so lean as to where its a problem, or it might idle retardedly and pop and do really obnoxious things. It probably has to do with the intake and exhaust. Restrictive parts will hold airflow figures closer to stock values and minimize both performance potential and potential running issues. Or you just tune it and/or do a mass air swap to deal with the better engine parts and carry on.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand1 View Post
                        So its not cut and dry for a conversion? In the sticky, it seems kind of straight forward.....
                        A bone stock HO swap will run like a bone stock HO. It's when you start changing things past that that you may or may not run into issues.
                        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Thumper E7s are a waist of money. Better off with a set of GT40s stock. Realy well ported E7s need about a 30% increase in fuel if correct intake and exhaust is used so 25lb are needed, unless you choke the intake and exh air flow. Thumper heads only flow about 30 more CFM than stock. The E7s I have done and sold flow 160CFM total over stock. I ran a 92 Cobra ECM with mine and worked great. There is a point beyond that were the fuel lines on the boxes wount flow enough fuel to supply the engines needs.
                          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Working...
                          X