hpp wheel cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hpp wheel cleaning

I picked up a set of hpps a while back. They were filthy. I cleaned them and then they got less filthy. Still there remains caked on black specks and brake dust. I went with simple green straight up and a tooth bush, specialty wheel brushes and a pressure washer, still I cannot phase it.

The ultimate plan is to paint them. Any suggestions on what can clean these wheels? I am not worried about ruining the finish.

-David
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

I ended up taking a credit card and wheel cleaner and scraping my 91 turbines to get that kind of crap off. If you are painting them, just get them bead/sand blasted. Much less time consuming than doing that crap by hand.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

You could always try a "Magic Eraser" I also like the credit card idea mrltd suggested.

The little black specks might be road tar, so maybe some bug and tar remover would help.
      2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
      2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
      Past Panthers
      1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
      if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

I do not want to pay for bead blasting.

I actually purchased magic erasers for the task though never tried.

Anyone with experience using oven cleaner????
        ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Magic erasers are basically very fine scotchbrite.... I'll tell you this, some things are just worth paying for to save a ton of work and time. I spent 4 hours PER WHEEL on those turbines. Oven cleaner might work, never tried it.

Comment

I used over cleaner on my turbines. It takes the finish off just like paint stripper. Just not as strong as stripper.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
            Big plans

Comment

i shit you not.. this will probably work. we use it all the time..

get the gallon of engine degreaser, gallon on simple green, bottle of "lemon scented" amonia (walmart), and bleach. mix together in spray bottle. shit dissolves paint i swear.. lol
              Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
              Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
              Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

yeah... do not inhale though... bleach and ammonia create a TOXIC gas. I do know that it WILL kill mold and mildew with EXTREME prejudice too. Scott air pack required in that case since it was a bathroom. The vent had to be run for 4 hours to ventilate the room before anyone could enter.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I have a gallon of air craft stripper. I think I will try the magic eraser, then run them for the season. Scuff them with red scotch brite and lay on the stripper, pressure wash and hope it all comes off.......
                  ~David~

Comment

Hydrochloric acid? Not the greatest thing to toss on aluminum.

Comment

I've thought about using Bleech White whitewall cleaner. Whatever that shit is seems pretty heinous...

Comment

*taking down notes*

When I get a new set of wheels for bison to sit on i'll be trying to paint my old turbines and man they are fucked. I don't know about the bleach and amonia concoction, maybe if this were the battle of Ypres. How about just taking bleach out of the mixture?

Comment

high powered caustics and acids both will eat up aluminum. Oven cleaner is sodium hydroxide, lye, which is some pretty badass shit. In a strong enough concentration, it will eat the skin right off your hands. It also will screw up aluminum pretty badly if you let it sit on there too long. Acids are even worse on aluminum. Aircraft stripper is a solvent but should be fairly PH neutral. It won't hurt the aluminum. I'd go that route first since it should have no chemical reaction with the metal.

And never mix ammonia and bleach. It produces chlorine gas. Fine if this was 1915 on the western front in France, but not really something you want in your house.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Just my $0.02, If you are going to paint them a light blasting would give you a great clean surface to bind to. I wonder ho much it costs? I hope to find out in the beginning of the week. I just put my summer hpp's on today, they really are hard to keep clean, and I need to pick up some stuff from a powder coat shop so will ask them how much to blast my wheels.
                            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Jay let me know. Maybe they can give a discounted price with eight versus four wheels.
                              ~David~

Comment

Working...
                              X