PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: hpp wheel cleaning

Default hpp wheel cleaning

I picked up a set of hpps a while back. They were filthy. I cleaned them and then they got less filthy. Still there remains caked on black specks and brake dust. I went with simple green straight up and a tooth bush, specialty wheel brushes and a pressure washer, still I cannot phase it.

The ultimate plan is to paint them. Any suggestions on what can clean these wheels? I am not worried about ruining the finish.

-David
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

I ended up taking a credit card and wheel cleaner and scraping my 91 turbines to get that kind of crap off. If you are painting them, just get them bead/sand blasted. Much less time consuming than doing that crap by hand.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons.

http://zombiestig.us

I post a lot...

You could always try a "Magic Eraser" I also like the credit card idea mrltd suggested.

The little black specks might be road tar, so maybe some bug and tar remover would help.
    2015 Buick Enclave 3.6 (Sapphire Blue/Titanium)
    2017 Hyundai Elantra SE w/tech (Silver/Grey)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Quote Originally Posted by Lincolnmania View Post
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

I do not want to pay for bead blasting.

I actually purchased magic erasers for the task though never tried.

Anyone with experience using oven cleaner????
    ~David~

Magic erasers are basically very fine scotchbrite.... I'll tell you this, some things are just worth paying for to save a ton of work and time. I spent 4 hours PER WHEEL on those turbines. Oven cleaner might work, never tried it.

I want some grape drink baby, mmmm it's purple

I used over cleaner on my turbines. It takes the finish off just like paint stripper. Just not as strong as stripper.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

Ford Fullsize For Life! marquis_82_withneons's Avatar

i shit you not.. this will probably work. we use it all the time..

get the gallon of engine degreaser, gallon on simple green, bottle of "lemon scented" amonia (walmart), and bleach. mix together in spray bottle. shit dissolves paint i swear.. lol
    Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
    Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 168K full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, blue HID, interior & underbody
    Girlfriends Ride - Grey 1988 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - efi302 104K Pieced together system, Goodyear All Terrains, muffler delete w/ a rice muff
    Hella Rice - Blue 1987 Plymouth Horizon - Carbed 2.2L 123K Ghetto sound system, 5spd, straight piped w/ HUGE rice muff #workbeater

yeah... do not inhale though... bleach and ammonia create a TOXIC gas. I do know that it WILL kill mold and mildew with EXTREME prejudice too. Scott air pack required in that case since it was a bathroom. The vent had to be run for 4 hours to ventilate the room before anyone could enter.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM (SOLD), 93 Vic, 2000 Crown Vic, 2003 Expedition
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

I have a gallon of air craft stripper. I think I will try the magic eraser, then run them for the season. Scuff them with red scotch brite and lay on the stripper, pressure wash and hope it all comes off.......
    ~David~

Hydrochloric acid? Not the greatest thing to toss on aluminum.

I've thought about using Bleech White whitewall cleaner. Whatever that shit is seems pretty heinous...

Nothing's ever simple BuffaloRider's Avatar

*taking down notes*

When I get a new set of wheels for bison to sit on i'll be trying to paint my old turbines and man they are fucked. I don't know about the bleach and amonia concoction, maybe if this were the battle of Ypres. How about just taking bleach out of the mixture?

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

high powered caustics and acids both will eat up aluminum. Oven cleaner is sodium hydroxide, lye, which is some pretty badass shit. In a strong enough concentration, it will eat the skin right off your hands. It also will screw up aluminum pretty badly if you let it sit on there too long. Acids are even worse on aluminum. Aircraft stripper is a solvent but should be fairly PH neutral. It won't hurt the aluminum. I'd go that route first since it should have no chemical reaction with the metal.

And never mix ammonia and bleach. It produces chlorine gas. Fine if this was 1915 on the western front in France, but not really something you want in your house.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body, 246k and counting

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I post a lot...

Just my $0.02, If you are going to paint them a light blasting would give you a great clean surface to bind to. I wonder ho much it costs? I hope to find out in the beginning of the week. I just put my summer hpp's on today, they really are hard to keep clean, and I need to pick up some stuff from a powder coat shop so will ask them how much to blast my wheels.
    GMN donor. 89 Colony Park LS Mods>HO, 4 spray injectors, 2.25SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 93 CV radio, Kenwood Speakers, 16" HPP wheels, 225-60/16 BFG advantage TA's, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft, HELLA H4's SS ultras H1 highs. It needs rear interior trim & headliner. Please help

03 Marauder DPB, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.

02 SL500 Silver Arrow pretty much done, nice ride, Maybe for sale

Jay let me know. Maybe they can give a discounted price with eight versus four wheels.
    ~David~

Vinyl Cheese, Meat Pasty SVT98t's Avatar

4 hours per wheel??
    I am waaaay beyond that.
    Bead blasting is your friend.
    Or fuck it and paint it anyways.
    Trust me on the glass bead part.

-ryan s.

08 Lincoln Navigator L - 135k
    03 Mercury Marauder- Fuck it, 6-Speed swap
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 167k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" with an engine start button in teh shifter (HIBERNATING) <----- Wifey's
    Quote Originally Posted by pantera77 View Post
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

I have had luck with magic erasers on stuff that cleaners and scrubbing hard wouldn't phase.

Not sure about road tar though
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

purple power and a toothbrush......anybody wanna come clean my wheels lol

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Colony Park, "large marge"
    1982 efm and 1986 alaska stokers keeping me warm

I did the purple power straight up with tooth brush as well. The wheels just laughed at me.
    ~David~

I post a lot...

Quote Originally Posted by fmansfield444 View Post
    I have had luck with magic erasers on stuff that cleaners and scrubbing hard wouldn't phase.

Not sure about road tar though
    I had a customer sit on my beige leather in my Genesis with a open pen in his pocket. Marked it all up good. Magic eraser took it all off with no damage. Nothing else would touch it.
    2015 Buick Enclave 3.6 (Sapphire Blue/Titanium)
    2017 Hyundai Elantra SE w/tech (Silver/Grey)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Quote Originally Posted by Lincolnmania View Post
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast