4 hours per wheel??
    I am waaaay beyond that.
    Bead blasting is your friend.
    Or fuck it and paint it anyways.
    Trust me on the glass bead part.

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

I have had luck with magic erasers on stuff that cleaners and scrubbing hard wouldn't phase.

Not sure about road tar though
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

purple power and a toothbrush......anybody wanna come clean my wheels lol

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

I did the purple power straight up with tooth brush as well. The wheels just laughed at me.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by fmansfield444 View Post
            I have had luck with magic erasers on stuff that cleaners and scrubbing hard wouldn't phase.

Not sure about road tar though
            I had a customer sit on my beige leather in my Genesis with a open pen in his pocket. Marked it all up good. Magic eraser took it all off with no damage. Nothing else would touch it.
            2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
            2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
            Past Panthers
            1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
            if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Circa 1850 Paint and Varnish Remover. Brush it on, watch the clearcoat blister and bubble for about 10-15 minutes, then scrape everything off to the bare aluminum. I just refinished my lacy-spoke aluminum wheels on my 88 LTC and it worked like a charm!
              Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
              Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by nfldfordltd View Post
                Circa 1850 Paint and Varnish Remover. Brush it on, watch the clearcoat blister and bubble for about 10-15 minutes, then scrape everything off to the bare aluminum. I just refinished my lacy-spoke aluminum wheels on my 88 LTC and it worked like a charm!
                I just looked up a few product reviews and demonstrations, this sounds promising.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  And never mix ammonia and bleach. It produces chlorine gas. Fine if this was 1915 on the western front in France, but not really something you want in your house.
                  i understand what you guys are saying, and id like to clarify.. hahah we ONLY use this outdoors when cleaning car parts
                  Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                  Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                  Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

I have carb cleaner and steel wool i'm taking to my wheels to get corrosion off, not worried about the clear coat since I can redo it if necessary. Brake cleaner works too, used that on my Sierra when a brake hose collapsed and the caliper froze and dragged the pads, didn't take the clear off but I didn't scrub it with steel wool either since it was just brake dust that stained the wheel yellow.
                    88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                    Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

Update:

Tried magic eraser, lacquer thinner, bug and tar remover and a clay bar. None of the above damaged the painted surface and only the clay bar showed any kind of results. It took a lot of effort to just get the lips of the wheels clean of the blackness. Would be laughable to even attempt claybarring all of the laces in the wheels.

Looking more and more like stripping the wheels with either a gel or abrasives will be the way to go.
                      ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I'm going to try this rubber wheel thing I got that is actually for removing pinstripes.

Comment

You have one small enough to fit in all of the intricate spaces of the HPP wheels?

Please do share how that goes for you.
                          ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                            You have one small enough to fit in all of the intricate spaces of the HPP wheels?

Please do share how that goes for you.
                            No, but it should do nicely for the all-important lip.

Comment

I took a screwdriver to chip away at the stuff on the hpps I had. Chip, spray repeat.

1990 Colony Park, with HO swap.

Previously:
                              1990 Lincoln Town Car Cartier.
                              88 CVLX
                              01 Marquis

Comment

maybe steam?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                                Originally posted by dmccaig
                                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                                X