No announcement yet.

hpp wheel cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just sandblast it. Heck, if you have a few hundred to invest in a tool, get a blast cabinet that you can fit wheels in. I actually find it quite therapeutic and relaxing. I wish I had one at home (or at my current job). The finish, as mentioned, is PERFECT for paint. Stuff that just won't stick with sanding and then cleaning is practically on forever after sandblasting.

Heck, if you're so inclined you can even make some money on the side (or new friends) sandblasting stuff for other people.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I have had good luck cleaning some nasty wheels with a product called "Brown Royal Wheel Cleaner" made by Flash Auto Detailing Products. Even though they say it can be used as a spray on-spray off cleaner, I found that hitting it with a brush a little to agitate it works best for me. Here is a video of it in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEhR3...c_jLw&index=34

Comment

Thanks for the video.

Here is what I am working with. Remember I have already aggressively hit it with simple green, purple power, bug and tar remover lacquer thinner and a stiff bristle brush. Nothing could kill it!

~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Maybe some good old (and cheap) powdered Ajax and a small brass bristle brush?
          Or thin strips of fine sandpaper and lots of finger-banging

I wonder if Dremel makes a mini oscillating sander tool... lol
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I really want to try the brown stuff now.

Comment

dremel... yes... my dremel kit has small sandpaper barrels. they fit on a rubber style (think universal freeze plug rubber stopper) attachment. They're about half an inch in diameter. grits are available in varying roughness. I think my kit came with 120 or 240 grit.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ike Clanton View Post
                I really want to try the brown stuff now.
                Don't take the brown acid.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Man
                  03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                  08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                  12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Hi,

The powder coat shop quoted me $50 per wheel to blast and and additional $50 to powder coat. The powder coat price is based on the wheel not being rotted so it looks good finished without "body" work.
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Seems reasonable if I want to go that route.
                      ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I am curious about this as my HPP's have exactly the same problem.
                        02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

blast and color match powder coat with polished lip.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The problem is the brake dust east into the clear. There's a reason mine are painted black.
                            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I am gonna try brake clean....maybe that will do something. Again not worried about the finish currently on there...but lacquer thinner didn't harm anything...
                              ~David~

Comment

Survey say: "Brown Royal" That shit is the bomb. Really surprised me. Sprayed it on all the wheels went around and agitated the holes with a conical brush and it took off everything that the brush could brush. I need to find a smaller brush to get into all of the little corners. But brown royal is by far the best thing to clean these wheels from my experience.
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X