Bad news for my 85 CV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad news for my 85 CV

I was driving along yesterday and had to stop and wait on a train, and all of a sudden I heard a pop and flames were coming from under my hood! Got it all extinguished and under control then pushed it off the main road. Was waiting all day for the tow truck to bring it by and I spent some time today going over it and seeing how bad it really is. Here's some pics, hopefully they don't upload upside down again.

It looks a lot worse than it is in the second pic. Today I gutted some wiring and hoses, and hosed it all down. Looks like ill need a complete ECM harness and ill need to wire up other things like the lights, horn etc.

I feel that this is a perfect time to swap the engine for my 88 roller 302 which I will build up. Ill most likely eliminate most of the unneeded things like a/c and smog stuff.

I can't tell what caused the fire but I didn't notice anything odd before it started. Just a pop and then flames. It looks like it was hotter on passenger side around the a/c stuff. Maybe a fuel line or a wiring issue.

Oh well, overall I'm just happy it didn't spread to someone else's car or hurt anybody. Plus it gives me a reason to rebuild and clean the engine bay. Something to do for the summer may not be worth keeping to some people but I like a challenge.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

I'd say 3g wiring.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Woah! that sucks man shits scary .. glad your ok and the car is saveable

Comment

that'll buff out.

rip out all the ECM wiring... fix the lights/horn wiring... drop a 4bbl carb on an exploder motor and haul ass

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Whoa! Glad you're ok though!

Comment

jesus man!.. thats fuckin insane!... i hope my 3G doesnt do that o.O thank god i put that fuse in. maybe your battery got loose and arched on the body, that things melted pretty good.

if you ditch the A/C send the pully my way, my Mercs missing the clutch plate on my compressor

glad youre ok man, and glad the ride is salvagable..
            Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
            Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
            Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Yeah I'm planning on cleaning it all out and just have a motor sitting in there, no bs. I got my lincoln now so I don't need it to be a daily driver.

After cleaning it up looks like it won't be too bad. Other than wiring and hoses and belts, other plastic bits.

I had a fuse on my 3G, but maybe it arked or something. My battery was a mess, acid was all exposed. All was contained under the good though, not much other damage.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

Originally posted by marquis_82_withneons View Post
                jesus man!.. thats fuckin insane!... i hope my 3G doesnt do that o.O thank god i put that fuse in. maybe your battery got loose and arched on the body, that things melted pretty good.

if you ditch the A/C send the pully my way, my Mercs missing the clutch plate on my compressor

glad youre ok man, and glad the ride is salvagable..
                Yeah I'll send ya the pulley if its decent, looked ok though. Ill let ya know when I get all that off which shouldn't be too long.

Comment

ight man sounds good to me, i know it engages by an electro magnet or something like that, so make sure its good or whatever you know, i trust your judgement so im not worried about it.. thanks man. look foward to seeing the new heart
                  Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                  Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                  Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Did you have any passengers with you?
                    '79 Continental Town Car
                    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

Yeah I was giving my grandpa a ride. I saw flames and immediately shut it off and ran out and over to him to help him out but he was out fast too. He helped steer while I pushed it off the main road to avoid any impounding.

Comment

Sorry to hear about this. I am glad your ok buddy!
                        "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
                        -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                        -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
                        -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Glad everybody's okay, good luck getting her back in working order! I wonder, do insurance companies pay for fire damage under comprehensive insurance policies?
                          Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

that sucks id cry. fix that bad boy though these care are the best

Comment

Bad news for my 85 CV

Not sure about the insurance coverage, I haven't even contacted them, lol maybe I should. But I have basic coverage anyhow. Being 20 years old insurance is through the roof so I took the cheapest I could find.

Full coverage on this car alone was about 225 a month. I got minimum coverage on all 3 of my cars for only 110 a month, which is pretty good. Plus in the insurance company's eyes this car isn't worth much.

I can't wait to get it working again, I may leave the burn marks and melted grille in as battle scars lol. Hood got a bad spot that will rust up, but it can be replaced. Sucks too cuz the car was pretty much rust free.

It looks more bad ass covered in ashes and burn marks ha
                              Last edited by fmansfield444; 05-20-2013, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X