improving preformance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

improving preformance

hey panther fans, anyone have ideas for inexpensive engine mods to improve horsepower. ive added a kn air filter and dual exhaust

First thing to do is a rear-end gear swap, or swap the entire axle out of a newer Crown vic/Grand Marquis to get the big disc brakes. This will mean you need to change to 16" wheels minimum. Also check out the HO swap thread, you can swap a mustang motor into your box Grand Marquis, all you have to do is swap the accessories over and flip the intake 90-degrees, put the inlet on the proper side of the car. Then you swap some pins on the Mustang computer and change your firing order to the HO scheme (easier on the bearings). You could go with an explorer swap for even more power, you can get up to 300/325/350 with just the explorer swap and headers/duals and a tune. The Explorers/Mountaineers came with GT40 or GT40Ported heads from the factory depending on which year you get. But you will need a higher flow fuel pump. You'd also need the mustang computer, and for the love of electricity first things first upgrade that alternator with a 3G conversion! The stock 1g alts suck, & 2g alts like to let the smoke monster out and cause engine fires, apparently.

As long as you can do the labor yourself, the engine swaps are your best bet for more power. I think '84 they were still running the CFI stuff which is horrible. If it's working fine, leave it alone, but you need to find a real artiste to repair or tune a CFI carb, most people just swap on an aftermarket carb when it starts acting up.

The 3g conversion is about $150-$200 for parts iirc, most 3.0 Tauruses had the 3g alternator, so you can snag one at the pull a part yard and test it at autozone/wherever. Complete rears run $125-dunno depending on your local yards. You can search at car-part.com.
    Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 05-20-2013, 12:32 PM.
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

I like those wheels man. well I went from 15s to 14s no way I can go to 16s!

Comment

Upgrade that CFI to SEFI and it'll have about twice the throttle response. Even with a lopo SEFI.

You can swap the rear gears and still keep your wheels, but I think you'll have to stay with drums on the back.

Really can't do much for performance with CFI in my opinion.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

pretty much what these guys have said. short of converting to SEFI or an engine swap, your only real choice is upgrade the gears in the rear axle.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Replace the timing chain. It won't help performance much, but the engine runs better and will not self-destruct. A running engine always performs better than one that doesn't run. The 85 and older cars used a crappy plastic timing gear that falls apart and lets the chain jump. When that happens, the valves smash the pistons and bend.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

do you have air shocks or some variation? i have air shocks and bags on my 84 grand marq and it gives it a nice rake.

Comment

Originally posted by oldschool84 View Post
                do you have air shocks or some variation? i have air shocks and bags on my 84 grand marq and it gives it a nice rake.
                You can hit "reply with quote" button to address someone, or just drop their name so we know who you're talking to, but I'll assume you're talking to me because of my car's stance in my signature pic.

I recently had Moog Variable Rate Cargo (Wagon) Coilsprings put on it and it gives it that much rake. I should update my sig pic as that one is pre-paintjob and still shows the rust on the right rear behind the wheel.
                Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
                  The 3g conversion is about $150-$200 for parts iirc, most 3.0 Tauruses had the 3g alternator, so you can snag one at the pull a part yard and test it at autozone/wherever. Complete rears run $125-dunno depending on your local yards. You can search at car-part.com.
                  i picked up a reman 3g off ebay for 55. thats all i have in my swap. granted i got a little help from dad for the 8ga copper, but mine was pretty cheap.
                  Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                  Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                  Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

My 3G was about 30 bucks for junk yard parts, MAKE SURE YOU USE A FUSE AND SECURE EVERYTHING TIGHTLY INCLUDING THE BATTERY!!! Or else my misfortune could happen to you.
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

I didn't know you could swap to a HO firing order on a stock 5.0 without any consequences or repurcussions???
                      "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
                      -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                      -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
                      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

You cannot, unless you swap in the HO bits.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

correct. Works fine if you have the proper cam, otherwise it no workie fine. it wont break anything if you really want to try it, but it runs like total shit.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

10-4, gotcha!
                            "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
                            -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                            -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
                            -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              correct. Works fine if you have the proper cam, otherwise it no workie fine. it wont break anything if you really want to try it, but it runs like total shit.
                              take my word for this.. we found it out the hard way on my buddys towny. if you got the rong order you WILL know it.
                              Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                              Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                              Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Working...
                              X