discrimination towards my car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

discrimination towards my car

hello all. i notice sometimes people judge me because i drive a lowrider style merc ( im a 30 yr old white professional) anyway, people seem to be shocked by this and ive got comments like. oh ifigured this was a mexicans car. this tends to piss me off. i grew up with the california oldschool rap and have always loved these cars. im sure my fellow merc lovers can appreciate diffrent styles of the grand marqs as all the same would be boring. after all i say its your money build what you love and fuck everyone else. what are you guys opinion on this?

you guys can see my pics under post your rides tell me what u think please!

Comment

Pete
      Originally posted by gadget73
      For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
      1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
      1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

^^ what he said. Your car looks awesome. It is a style thing though and it's a very polarizing style (people love it or hate it) and it's very (and I do me VERY) stereotypically a Hispanic thing. I grew up near Mexico and saw this a LOT. And yes, nearly 90% of the population in the area was Hispanic so go figure that almost all the lowriders were owned by Hispanics. Though, I know quite a few white and black guys that have had lowriders like that and they got that BS from ignorant folks too.

Like it or leave it. Haters can piss off.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

We definitely aren't discriminatory towards lowriders here, and we can all appreciate a well-done car (even if it's not quite to our personal tastes). Have you seen the epic thread of the guy over in the UK who is currently slamming a box wagon? http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...lowrider-in-UK 47 pages of restoration and fabrication goodness. Read up. You're in for a TREAT.
          Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Where on the east coast are you? I think your car looks GREAT. Not, personally, into the "bouncy thing" (not sure if yours is) but I appreciate the work. "Old School is Cool School" whether it is cars or music. Jazz man, myself but since I worked for Motown Records (among others) I am partial to that music. Was driving, in Ft. Lauderdale, recently with the windows down on my '87 GM. Car pulls up besides me with 4 young black guys and they are digging the vehicle. They had some rap music on and the passenger tells the driver to "shut dat shit off" so they could hear the CD I put together of old Motown stuff. The look on his face when he was listening to the Four Tops singing "Bernadette" was priceless!!! Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by oldschool84 View Post
              ...all the same would be boring. after all i say its your money build what you love and fuck everyone else. what are you guys opinion on this?
              Maybe it's just because I don't live somewhere where Low riders are highly popular but I have never really associated these boxes with low riders which I think makes it even better because it is more unique (at least to me it is).
              I do have to admit that when I think of low riders I definitely think of the stereotypical Hispanic crowd. Your car didn't seem to me to have the stereotypical (at least not my idea of stereotypical) low rider look, it looks too stock compared to my (mis?)conception of a low rider. If it was maybe a bright metallic green and had tons more chrome and you had a pic slammed to the ground another pic with one of the wheels off the ground to show off the hydraulic system, then my thoughts probably would have ignorantly went to "this must be a Hispanic guy's car".

But you said it best, it's your money, build what YOU love.
              Enjoy the sweet ride!
              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

i agree 100% "its your money, build what YOU love"..... underbody lights on a box with tuner style 16" rims is how i like to do it
                Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Trust me, I get laughed at all the time with my squire... Lowered, 17s, and racing bucket seats. F them.
                  Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Yeah, drive what you like. It's your coin and if it makes you happy, run with it.

I've driven Panthers and other "old man" cars for years and I've gotten my balls busted as well.
                    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                    Past Panthers
                    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Im in your boat,too!!!
                      I work for a major bank in an executive office. The "higher ups" park next to me with their pods (ala Lexis, Acura), and think
                      Im gonna pimp slap 'em.

Except one old guy that has been there since the 70s...he came right up to me and gave me a huge compliment....told me
                      about all his old rides....and said that true exectuives back in the day,looked pretty professional comin out a Lincoln.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

I still remember when I first started at my current employer pulling up in my baby blue 79 Town Coupe or my 89 LTC. The people would just look. Then the next day I'd pull up in a brand new 2000 Solara. Kept 'em guessing. Ahh, the good 'ol days!

I had one guy (who drove a Mustang) ask why I would drive those "old boats" when I had the Solara. I used to explain I really liked the old cars better!
                        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                        Past Panthers
                        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

I get shit for having a restored 80s Lincoln all the time. Its sort of funny that people assume it belongs to either someone's grandmother or a brother. I've long since stopped giving a shit what other people think about what I drive. Its mine, its paid for, and its what I want to drive. I get noise about the Mark VII too. For some reason people love to tell me they had one and how many problems they had with it because they had a shitty mechanic or something. I guess they're trying to tell me its a bad car? Dunno, the odometer has too many digits on it for me to believe its a bad car.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

When I get crap I tell them I'd be happy to give them a ride home from the junkyard

Pete
                            For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                            1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                            1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Fuck 'em if they don't like it. While I am not a fan of lowering a car, I have always liked lowriders.

Alex.

Comment

Working...
                              X