Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will 11 inch brake drums and shoes fit a 91 Grand Marquis Sedan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will 11 inch brake drums and shoes fit a 91 Grand Marquis Sedan?

Hi,
    I wish to do a complete brake job. I am wondering if the 11 inch brakes shoes and if the 11 inch drums will work on a stock 1991 GM sedan with 10 inch shoes and drums in the rear? I want to keep with the 15 inch rims I have. Can I just add the shoes, and the drums and stay with the same backing plate? Do I need to change the hardware, springs for example if going with the 11 inch setup? Are the wheel cylinders different between the 10 inch and 11 inch? Would police shoes and drums work as another alternative? Again I want to stay with the 15 x 8 rims I have.
    I think I want to go with the cross drilled rotors for the front. This is for a 1991 Grand Marquis sedan.
    Any opinion on these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=33564

Thank you,
    Mike
    90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
    90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
    91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
    70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Dunno about the drums but I'd think the backing plate would need changed?

I had powerslots on the front of my old 97 MGM for 3-4 years or so with no problems.

Pete
    Originally posted by gadget73
    For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
    1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
    1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

from what I remember everything is different. I'd go rear discs, same amount of work, better results.
      Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Agree but I do not know for sure if the rear disks require 16" rims. Go with 03+ for vented rotors. The hardest part is the Ebrake setup.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Like they said, everything needs to be changed, Not to bad if you have donor parts and are going to do it anyway. Wheel cylinder is the same for 10" and 11" drums however, 15/16" bore. Like mrltd said you would probably be better off going disc. I can say they 11" drums are quite effective compared to what I've felt from the 10". The police shoes/drums ARE the 11" brakes, along with tow option cars etc. If you decide to go this route you can find cheap OEM drums here: I just did mine and they are great. http://www.ebay.com/itm/300812414229...84.m1439.l2649
          -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

The 1992-2002 rear brakes will fit 15" wheels. As for the 03+ vented, I'm not sure. The early ones are still a huge upgrade from the drums.

Comment

I think only the FRONT rotors are vented on the '03+, from research I did on my new car the other day.
              Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Nope, the rears are too. On the 92-02 they are solid though.

Comment

I believe they are just about the same size but vented for cooling.
                  03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                  08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                  12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Lots of great info.
                    Any idea where I can get 11 inch brake backing plates other than a junkyard?

Thanks again,
                    Mike
                    90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
                    90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
                    91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
                    70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

junkyard or someone parting out a car is about your only bet. For all the trouble, I'd go disc. Its the same work as far as removing the axles to change the backing plates. And the discs work fine in a 15" wheel.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i have a set of 11" backing plates, pm me if your interested in them

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                        X