Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Box Power Seats

Concerning pre-1990 cvgms.

Was there a passenger side power seat? I have yet to stumble across one in the wreckers.

Do the seat tracks interchange on the (pre 1990) box? (Drivers side seat track bolt into the passenger side)?

Whats different on the 1990+ floor boards? If I want to put a complete powerseat from say a 1991 or newer into the 1989, do I need to chop the 1994 seat track or add spacers/make a mounting leg longer? Making seats fit is not a problem. Done my share of bucket seat swaps in the past and had to fire up the welder to make custom brackets. But with age, comes laziness and the preference for simple bolt in swaps. =-)

Is there another ford car that uses the same seat track?

Electrics is not an issue. Thats my thing anyway.

Alex.

I know for a fact there were pre 90 p. side power seats. I pulled a rail and switch from one years ago for my vic.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...eat#post462186

Cannot answer your other questions.
    Last edited by 87gtVIC; 06-04-2013, 08:00 PM.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yes, there was a passenger side power seat on pre 90 MGMs my mom's 88 had it, and I took it and installed it in the 87 CV then it's been in my 89 MGM for the past 10 years. I attempted to move it to my 91 but since my dad moved I don't have garage space to do that kind of fab to make it work.

On the 89 the seat belt buckles mount to the floor but on the 91 they are mounted on one of the mounting studs with the seat frame. IIRC the 91 has studs in the floor for the frame to secure to while the 89 used bolts. If welding is not a problem for you, I'm sure you could make it work. I should have taken picutres of the 2 to when I had the chance, it would make explaining it easier since I would have to rely on month old memory of what they both looked like.

Edit: I also should have looked at them closer while I could to see how far off things were to decide if I wanted to make the swap work but didn't have the time that day so just slapped em both back together. Next time I'm up to my dad's house I can see if I can compare them again but that wont be for at least a couple weeks.
      Last edited by VicCrownVic; 06-04-2013, 08:00 PM.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
        I know for a fact there were pre 90 p. side power seats. I pulled a rail and switch from one years ago for my vic.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...eat#post462186

Cannot answer your other questions.
        Nice job on the bracket. Like you said in your RR thread, had to run a line for power to the pass. seat.
        When I did mine I had extra ends and all kinds of stuff from the 88 and my dad's shed to make the line run from the driver side. I made a short extension line with the ends to plug in between the harness coming out of the carpet and the driver seat power harness. Then just spliced into that extension for the line running to the passenger seat. That way if it was ever removed you would never know it was there since there was no modding done to the car's wiring. Although the cut in the side of the passenger seat where the switch goes might give that away, but I cut 3 sides of a rectangle for the switch leaving the top uncut so that the hole wouldn't be as noticeable if the switch was ever removed.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

All you need is a power seat track and seat mounted controls for an 89. This should bolt directly to any non-power seat.
          I've done this swap, power to non-power and non-power to power several times now.
          I would think finding a power seat track would be much of a problem.

Comment

generally on LX and LS cars. My GS is driver only.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
              generally on LX and LS cars. My GS is driver only.
              My '87 LX is power drivers only. Not sure what the option packages were besides the LX group.
              RyPow
              1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
              1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
              1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
              2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
              1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
              2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
              2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Comment

My '87 GM has power seats for BOTH fronts.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Correct, it was an option, I forget what group but a pretty common one in LS/LS cars. Tracks 90 and up are different. I have never had to do it but it seems the 90 and up seats could be mounted on the 89 and down tracks without too much difficulty.
                  03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                  08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                  12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I'll keep looking for now then. The plan is to just swap in a power seat track. With some luck I'll find a 91+ with the seats pulled to take some measurements and maybe do an impromptu seat swap at the wreckers if the coast is clear. =-)

Alex.

Comment

Some helpful hints:

Driver and passenger power seat tracks are interchangeable, so you don't have to find a passenger side power track.
                      You can use the drivers side switch, but it will either operate upside-down or backwards, depending how you install it.
                      89 and older towncar, vic, and gmq tracks are the same.
                      Towncars use the door control switches, so you will still need to find a seat control switch/bracket/harness to use, but a townie power track will work with the vic/gmq switch/wiring.
                      If you follow the driver's power wire under the dash, you should find a spot to plug in right next to it for the passenger side power.

I would definitely try to make the 90+ seats fit the -90 tracks instead of making the 90+ tracks fit the older car.

Good pics are in my seat swap thread.
                      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                      sigpic
                      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Would it be possible to re-pin the connector to make a drivers side switch work properly on the passengers side?
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I don't see why not... excellent idea!
                          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                          sigpic
                          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

My 83 LS has power passenger side.
                            sigpic
                            GrandestMarquis

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                              Would it be possible to re-pin the connector to make a drivers side switch work properly on the passengers side?
                              if not re-pin, splice and solder.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X