Head Gaskets Gone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head Gaskets Gone?

Is it possible to have failed head gaskets and there be no symptoms other than mysterious coolant loss?

i will second this.. my merc has mysterious coolant loss too. i have a slightly bad heater core.. but not terrible
    Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
    Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
    Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

It is possable to have bad head gaskets with a slight loss of coolant, just keep track of the loss and see if it leaks from the engine block too.

Comment

unlikely. Slow coolant loss is usually a hose or radiator or something that leaks only a little and steams off before it puddles. Look for green crusty stains around things. A slightly bad heater core is still a leak.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I think it is possible. One of my Lincolns has a slow loss, no other coolant leaks. One side of the exhaust has white puffs coming out, the other side does not.

Comment

egr spacer has been known to cause that too (on lopo 5.0).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I had a slow leak on my 5.0 - never left a mark on the ground, but while looking under the car, you could see where coolant was seeping past the water pump gasket. Removing the water pump, you could see where it failed internally.
              -Nick M.
              Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
              03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Is possible. The coolant is going somewhere. You can have a slight headgasket leak, beginning failure, where the coolant mixes with the exhaust ports. I've had cars where the exhaust entered the cooling system and caused the coolant to simply bubble out the overflow.

Ask anyone that owned a Cadillac Northstar. In the beginning stages of head bolt/gasket failure exhaust will enter the cooling system only when you stress the motor. Such as entering the freeway. You mysteriously lose a little coolant out the overflow which evaporates before it hits the ground. Since we have dummy temp lights you wouldn't notice a temporary and slight temp fluctuation.
                sigpic
                GrandestMarquis

Comment

Forgot... Just get a block test kit if you can't find anything else. Autozone rental.
                  sigpic
                  GrandestMarquis

Comment

Well whenever I run the heater I smell antifreeze, so maybe it is the heater core.

Comment

that's a prime indicator.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

But it's been doing that since I got it in August 2011. ._.

Comment

thats where mines going too. but i dont want to take my dash apart to change that yet. ill have it apart soon enough and when i do ill change it. that and i think some MAY be in my oil.. although its a VERY small amount
                          Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
                          Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
                          Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Originally posted by marquis_82_withneons View Post
                            thats where mines going too. but i dont want to take my dash apart to change that yet. ill have it apart soon enough and when i do ill change it. that and i think some MAY be in my oil.. although its a VERY small amount
                            Is it expensive to replace a heater core do you think?

What else should I have the mechanic do with the instrument cluster out?

Comment

The core is not expensive - it is the labor to get the dash, ect... apart to get to it and put it all back that is expensive.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X