Quick question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick question

Was looking at Craigslist at work this morning and saw an 85 tbird with the 302 and they had a pic of the engine. Regular air cleaner like what was originally on my cfi motor but it has an EFI sticker on it. I've read the efi swap thread on here and I guess that's sefi? So how is 1985 efi set up? Is it like cfi but with mass air flow sensor instead of speed density?
    sigpic
    GrandestMarquis

CFI is EFI, just a basic EFI. The S in SEFI stands for "sequential", which basically means that there's an injector for each cylinder times with the opening of the intake valve for that cylinder. Much more advanced and efficient. CFI is still Electronically controlled Fuel Injection, and Ford marketed it that way. The C stands for 'Central', as in the injectors aren't coordinated to the cylinders and are located before the air splits off to each cylinder.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

CFI/EFI.. central fuel injection, 2 injectors on a carb controlled by the computer.

SEFI and up... injector for each cylinder controlled by the computer. basically the same idea you see now on cars just more advanced.

feel free to correct me if im wrong. im not TOO familiar with cars after the CFI
      Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
      Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
      Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
        CFI is EFI, just a basic EFI. The S in SEFI stands for "sequential", which basically means that there's an injector for each cylinder times with the opening of the intake valve for that cylinder. Much more advanced and efficient. CFI is still Electronically controlled Fuel Injection, and Ford marketed it that way. The C stands for 'Central', as in the injectors aren't coordinated to the cylinders and are located before the air splits off to each cylinder.
        Okay but does efi have a mass airflow sensor and if so I'm to assume it will play better with engine mods?
        sigpic
        GrandestMarquis

Comment

Both of those are EFI. Anything without a carb is EFI. There are three types of EFI- Central, Sequential and now Direct where the injector dumps directly into the combustion chamber as opposed to the manifold. Any other types I missed?
          Last edited by jaywish; 06-05-2013, 02:00 PM.
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

In panthers, SEFI was available in MAF and Speed. Not sure about CFI but since it was older tech I would guess speed.
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

yeah nothing with the carburetor-type air filter is MAF.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Okay, so what I saw on the tbird is exactly what I have under my hood but with a different label. Nice

When I saw that I thought there was another version I was unaware of.
                Thanks.
                sigpic
                GrandestMarquis

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                  Both of those are EFI. Anything without a carb is EFI. There are three types of EFI- Central, Sequential and now Direct where the injector dumps directly into the combustion chamber as opposed to the manifold. Any other types I missed?
                  Theres actually another, broader category. Multiport Fuel Injection. Panthers have this, as did the trucks. Difference is that the cars had sequential, where the trucks were batch fire. They had 8 injectors, but only 2 injector drivers. Each driver fired a set of 4 injectors. It was usually one driver did 1, 4, 6 and 7, the other did 2, 3, 5 and 8. Why they did that, I have no idea. Sequential is slightly more efficient since the fuel is fired on the intake stroke only. With the batch system, the fuel usually ends up puddling on the back side of the valve until it opens during the intake stroke so you end up with a less effective atomization.

The mass air thing isn't really dependant on what sort of system you ran. The SEFI in the non-Mustang cars were almost all speed-density, which does not use a mass air sensor. Some of the trucks had a MAF, but I think that started in 94 or something. 91 California Vics were mass air, but none of the others were. I don't know of anyone who ran mass air with a throttle body type system, but its not impossible that it exists.
                  Last edited by gadget73; 06-05-2013, 05:58 PM.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                  X