PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: Headlights cut out 2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate

GMN Regular, EAT YO PRUNES sxcpotatoes's Avatar

Default Headlights cut out 2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate

Okay, the headlights cut out on my new 2003.

Like a dumbass, I had the engine cleaned, and it's been nothing but trouble since. The check engine light came on, running like shit, they pulled the fuel rails, etc to try to get them dried out. Sent us home with it the next day and it started acting up again later with the check engine light coming on.

So I had my dad run it to my mechanic since I was going north to visit my buddy that night. My mechanic replaced one of the Coil-on-Plug packs and two of the boots, and that fixed that.

Runs fine now, I may just have all the rest replaced as it improved my gas mileage by 3mpg with just the one CoP replacement.

Headlights keep cutting out, still have turn signals, etc, but I hear a click noise and you can't even flip the brights.

I know the LCMs are known to go bad in these, but I'm wondering if they've toasted mine prematurely. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    '91 Grand Marquis, Purple Rims Outside Arcade by SexCpotatoes, on Flickr
    SLICKTOP '91 GS w/HO, & too many extras to list. You know what? People hate on the purple rims, they find them offensive. They came that way, and it's a good paint job, I just like pissing off the squares.

Also, 1990 Towncar & 2003 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate.

I post a lot...

Yep, needs an LCM. They make external relay kits if you want to go that route.

Also, never wash a Ford engine with COP's. They die at the slightest hint of water.

Vinyl Cheese, Meat Pasty SVT98t's Avatar

+1 on LCM

You probably got your mileage back from having a bad COP to begin with.
    It wouldn't hurt to replace them, but just saying. The OEM COPs are pretty good. Some people prefer the Accels as well.

LCM.-------> rockauto.com
    DORMAN Part # 599200 $67

-ryan s.

03 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 118k <-- Family Whip
    03 Mercury Marauder- 57,928 miles: And so it begins... <-- Summer Toy
    93 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "Tank of Justice II" (TOJ2) - 221k - 24/28 mpg 518 mi on one tank <-- Winter Slayer (ecoMod project)
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" with an engine start button in teh shifter (HIBERNATING) <----- Wifey's

I post a lot...

There is a guy on the Marauder forum that will rebuild for you. fastblackmerc is the user name.

The relay is under sized and it fails. Don't bother with a used LCM, it will fail too.
    2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)
    2012 Buick LaCrosse 3.6 (Black/Grey)
    1999 S10 Ext Cab V6 (Pewter/Black)
    Long Gone:
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue)

Quote Originally Posted by Lincolnmania View Post
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Go take a bath! Go milk your goat! Piece-it pete's Avatar

Yeah at least it's an easy part to change. Auto parts stores also have an external fix for them that just plugs in. It was probably its' time to die.

If I didn't get a smoking deal on Ford DG508 COPs I'd have gotten these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Granatelli-M...604c2c&vxp=mtr

I got my boots here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/300470437973...84.m1436.l2649 Dielectric grease the heck out of the inside of them before install.

I also used a 'fuel injector service kit' last weekend, only got 6 of 8 changed but can tell the difference, if you're pulling the COPs anyway it's a good time to do it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/280818119187...84.m1439.l2649 And spark plugs of course.

If you want a hand just give me a holler!

Pete
    Quote Originally Posted by 85crownHPP View Post
    Everyone wants to drive a sofa down the road, they just don't know it yet.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
    1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
    1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

GMN Regular, EAT YO PRUNES sxcpotatoes's Avatar

Went back to the place that cleaned the engine with steam, and they cut me a $78 cheque when I showed them the $101 bill from my mechanic. I'm glad they were willing to give me some cash back on the engine cleaning, and I hope they don't make the same mistake on anyone else's car in the future!
    &#x27;91 Grand Marquis, Purple Rims Outside Arcade by SexCpotatoes, on Flickr
    SLICKTOP '91 GS w/HO, & too many extras to list. You know what? People hate on the purple rims, they find them offensive. They came that way, and it's a good paint job, I just like pissing off the squares.

Also, 1990 Towncar & 2003 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate.