Headlights cut out 2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlights cut out 2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate

Okay, the headlights cut out on my new 2003.

Like a dumbass, I had the engine cleaned, and it's been nothing but trouble since. The check engine light came on, running like shit, they pulled the fuel rails, etc to try to get them dried out. Sent us home with it the next day and it started acting up again later with the check engine light coming on.

So I had my dad run it to my mechanic since I was going north to visit my buddy that night. My mechanic replaced one of the Coil-on-Plug packs and two of the boots, and that fixed that.

Runs fine now, I may just have all the rest replaced as it improved my gas mileage by 3mpg with just the one CoP replacement.

Headlights keep cutting out, still have turn signals, etc, but I hear a click noise and you can't even flip the brights.

I know the LCMs are known to go bad in these, but I'm wondering if they've toasted mine prematurely. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Yep, needs an LCM. They make external relay kits if you want to go that route.

Also, never wash a Ford engine with COP's. They die at the slightest hint of water.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

+1 on LCM

You probably got your mileage back from having a bad COP to begin with.
      It wouldn't hurt to replace them, but just saying. The OEM COPs are pretty good. Some people prefer the Accels as well.

LCM.-------> rockauto.com
      DORMAN Part # 599200 $67

-ryan s.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

There is a guy on the Marauder forum that will rebuild for you. fastblackmerc is the user name.

The relay is under sized and it fails. Don't bother with a used LCM, it will fail too.
        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
        Past Panthers
        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Yeah at least it's an easy part to change. Auto parts stores also have an external fix for them that just plugs in. It was probably its' time to die.

If I didn't get a smoking deal on Ford DG508 COPs I'd have gotten these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Granatelli-M...604c2c&vxp=mtr

I got my boots here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/300470437973...84.m1436.l2649 Dielectric grease the heck out of the inside of them before install.

I also used a 'fuel injector service kit' last weekend, only got 6 of 8 changed but can tell the difference, if you're pulling the COPs anyway it's a good time to do it: http://www.ebay.com/itm/280818119187...84.m1439.l2649 And spark plugs of course.

If you want a hand just give me a holler!

Pete
          Originally posted by gadget73
          For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
          1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
          1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Went back to the place that cleaned the engine with steam, and they cut me a $78 cheque when I showed them the $101 bill from my mechanic. I'm glad they were willing to give me some cash back on the engine cleaning, and I hope they don't make the same mistake on anyone else's car in the future!
            Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Working...
            X