Catalytic Converters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catalytic Converters

I recently ordered these two catalytic converters for my 1990 gmq.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...071&cc=1199527
    http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...275&cc=1199527

The problem is I didn't realize that our cars have FOUR catalytic converters. So, are these the ones that go in the front or the back? Or both? Do I just order another pair of these? I'm just a little confused and could use some guidance so I'm not going in to the muffler place ignorant and unprepared.

Thanks.

Not my forte but these appear to be a replacement style that uses only one per side.

My setup is similar, though custom. I read that the Hi-flow cats are not as good as the standard cats but my exhaust smells clean and there is not much soot buildup at all. I do not know if cats effect soot output at all.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Agreed. The cats on my H-pipe pass inspection, so they must be working to some degree.

Packman

Comment

That would be ideal if the ones I bought are supposed to replace both the front and back ones because I don't really want to order more. They look pretty long, maybe I'll take one out of the box when I get home from work and kind of hold it up under my car to see if it's long enough to fit between the y-pipe (which will be replace with an h-pipe) and the headers.

Thanks.

Comment

newer cats have both the front and rear in the same casing. The air injection tube in the side of the cat (if so optioned) is the middle air gap between the cats. The original cats were a single front and single rear instead of the newer dual element form-factor.

this also makes getting at the collector bolts/nuts hella easier.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Got it.
            I just got a little confused when I saw that there were four then I looked it up in my ford manual and it showed four AND even showed one of the 5.8 models with only two, but they had long pipes where the first set would be so they didn't look the same as the catco ones that I got.

Now I just need to grab those tolerably rusted old lincoln log headers that I found at the yard last weekend and my exhaust will be checked off the list... unless I feel the need to get tips lol we'll see.

thanks again guys.
            Last edited by BuffaloRider; 06-18-2013, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Tips FTW!

Attached Files

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Just the tips~!
                Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

That's just what they look like, same with the aftermarket replacement foxstang H-pipe, is has just two large converters instead of 4.
                  Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                  'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                  sigpic
                  85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

dont throw the old cats away, find a buyer........i get 22 bucks each for box panther cats

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

You mean scrap money right? Yeah I was gonna tell the shop that would be doing my exhaust to throw the old cats in the trunk. I'll have those and a radiator and heater core to scrap, that should get me a few bucks I imagine. I asked one place how much they would give for a scrap radiator they said a dollar. That seems... low.

Kind of off topic but I would like to get something like these for the tips
                      Square Slanted Rolled Exhaust

I saw this pic a while back and kind of liked the look. I feel like it matches the rectangular tail lights. What do you guys think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	38718034003_large.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	1272593

Comment

I think those look sharp.

Boxes on boxes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20130621_090829[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	1272594
                        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

To my eye they draw too much attention to the exhaust. I prefer my tips to be just as large as the pipe or just the pipe end and that's it!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Find a scrap place that pays by the pound. If its a plastic/aluminum rad, make sure you pry off the plastic tanks or you will get less money for "dirty" aluminum. Also keep the metals separate (aluminum, copper/brass, steel) to get the most for what you have.

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                              Boxes on boxes.
                              That's what I'M sayin!

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                              To my eye they draw too much attention to the exhaust.
                              You say that like it's a bad thing!? lol, oh well, different strokes for different folks.

Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
                              Find a scrap place that pays by the pound. If its a plastic/aluminum rad, make sure you pry off the plastic tanks or you will get less money for "dirty" aluminum. Also keep the metals separate (aluminum, copper/brass, steel) to get the most for what you have.
                              Hey thanks for the tips man. I did know about removing the plastic tanks from the radiator, which shouldn't be too hard because it's already cracked apart from beating the shit out of it with a hammer to get my transmission cooling line nut thingys off cause they broke loose and wouldn't unscrew.

Comment

Working...
                              X