PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1999 Lincoln Town Car intake manifold cracked

Default 1999 Lincoln Town Car intake manifold cracked

Hello folks,

Unfortunately, my beloved Town Car has been running with the fan non stop for some time now. The temp gauge never went up, but when I looked, I saw that I was missing over a gallon of coolant.

Anyway, after further looking I found the cause. When revved up, it starts squirting coolant from the intake manifold, close to the coolant temperature sensor (maybe?), opposite side of where the thermostat is. After looking further I found a linear crack in the area.

I applied some JB weld twice, but some small leaking persists. I just applied a third generous layer, but I'm getting rather skeptical about it working, so it looks like I might be heading towards a replacement. I don't know whether coolant system sealer would work in this case, as this part is made of plastic.

Is it a big and complicated job to do? Is this a common issue with the 4.6 engines? Any other advise of how one could approach it? Thanks!
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    1999 Lincoln Town Car Signature

Go take a bath! Go milk your goat! Piece-it pete's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 85crownHPP View Post
    Everyone wants to drive a sofa down the road, they just don't know it yet.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
    1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
    1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Watched the second video in full, thanks.

What a nightmare. I can't believe ford cheaped out so much to make the thing from plastic. It seems to be a very common problem!

so common they recalled it on fleet vehicles. Police and Taxi's got the fixed ones, but civilian models never did. That's the first thing I look for when looking at used whales, does it have the aluminum crossover intake on it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 88 MGM, 93 Vic, 82 Mark VI,
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Rev up the Lincoln and let's get to drinkin' SVT98t's Avatar

I have a spare Dorman PI unit.

-ryan s.

03 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 112k <-- Daily Driver (HIBERNATING)
    03 Mercury Marauder- 57,928 miles: And so it begins... <-- Summer Toy (Goes fast) (HIBERNATING)
    93 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "Tank of Justice II" (TOJ2) - 221k - 24/28 mpg 518 mi on one tank <-- Winter Beater/Slayer (ecoMod project)(HIBERNATING)
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" with an engine start button in teh shifter (HIBERNATING)

Son of a bitch... I'm reading more about it now, it seems that there was a class action lawsuit, where one would either get it repaired within first 7 years of ownership or get $700 if they replaced it themselves and it was confirmed by the dealership. Unfortunately, mine is turning 14 this year.

Looking at replacements now. OEM are pricey at ~400, and the coolant housing I think is still plastic. There are Chinese made replacements on eBay for $150 and Dorman ones for ~200 shipped. Both feature a metal coolant housing, I'm more leaning towards the Dorman version.

I'll see how the JW Weld will hold. I shmeared plenty on today, but my expectations are realistic. I will try to tackle it myself. If there are any volunteers in Detroit area who would like to share a case of beer with me some Saturday, please let me know!

Drink the bong water Lincolnmania's Avatar

jb weld wont hold forever.......gonna have to bite the bullet and get a new intake

this is why i wont own a car newer than 1995

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    1989 crown vic gt sedan 5.0 HO sold back to richduty455
    1991 lincoln mark VII bill blass (mini me)
    1992 mercury grand marquis, 5.0 HO conversion sold to 86vickylx
    1982 efm and 1986 alaska stokers keeping me warm

dorman will be the most economical. there is a swap kit on ADTR.net to put the PI intake on the NPI engine that you have.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein

Are the PI units somehow different/superior than the regular ones for Town Car?

Drink the bong water Lincolnmania's Avatar

i'm not a 4.6 expert but i do believe they flow a bit better

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    1989 crown vic gt sedan 5.0 HO sold back to richduty455
    1991 lincoln mark VII bill blass (mini me)
    1992 mercury grand marquis, 5.0 HO conversion sold to 86vickylx
    1982 efm and 1986 alaska stokers keeping me warm

I post a lot...

I would be really surprised if the Dorman was not Chinese.
    Site donor. 89 Colony Park LS Mods>HO, 4 spray injectors, 2.25SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 93 CV radio, Kenwood Speakers, 16" HPP wheels, 225-60/16 BFG advantage TA's, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft, HELLA H4's SS ultras H1 highs. It needs rear interior trim & headliner. Please help

03 Marauder DPB, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.

02 SL500 Silver Arrow pretty much done, nice ride, Maybe for sale

Quote Originally Posted by jaywish View Post
    I would be really surprised if the Dorman was not Chinese.
    It is not. I personally called Dorman and they said that their manifolds are made in USA.

the PI intake flows better, but the price point on the swap kit may be the killer. Do you need the upgrade? no. Do you WANT the upgrade? maybe. but $325 +S&H might be a bit much and the dorman will work fine. Just mind your torque specs... on everything. Especially the sensors. And you'll need new sensors as the ones for the metal crossover are different thread type. Just not the sensor when you purchase it... it should have a NPT thread and not a wide plastic thread like the current one.

Nope, no need for the upgrade. I'll get the Dorman from Amazon for $170, as well as new o-rings for the fuel injectors. I'm close to giving up on the JB weld patchwork!

In the meantime, my dear 89 GM is seeing some road time!

I post a lot...

Great to know Dorman still sources some made in USA parts.
    Site donor. 89 Colony Park LS Mods>HO, 4 spray injectors, 2.25SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 93 CV radio, Kenwood Speakers, 16" HPP wheels, 225-60/16 BFG advantage TA's, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft, HELLA H4's SS ultras H1 highs. It needs rear interior trim & headliner. Please help

03 Marauder DPB, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.

02 SL500 Silver Arrow pretty much done, nice ride, Maybe for sale

The manifold on my friends 97CV cracked like that. He picked one up at the JY and we put it on, no big deal.
    It's a lot easier job than it looks.
    I think we ended up with less than $100 in the end, the Ford dealer wanted $1200.

Plus you have to swap out the metal heater core return line and nipple.

-ryan s.

03 Mercury Marauder- 57,928 miles: And so it begins... <-- Summer Toy (Goes fast) (HIBERNATING)
    93 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "Tank of Justice II" (TOJ2) - 221k - 24/28 mpg 518 mi on one tank <-- Winter Beater/Slayer (ecoMod project)(HIBERNATING)
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" with an engine start button in teh shifter (HIBERNATING)

Quote Originally Posted by SVT98t View Post
    Plus you have to swap out the metal heater core return line and nipple.

-ryan s.
    That is now or if I want the PI intake?

For PI intake. If you're just swapping out for an aluminum crossover, just remove old intake, and replace with newer betterer intake.
    Details on PI intake swap here, (if you want) :
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Manifold-Swap

Also, don't forget new intake manifold gaskets!!!

-ryan s.

I will be doing this on my town car soon as well. Looks pretty simple, just a lot of removing and hooking back up. Not too complicated. I was looking for a metal crossover when purchasing as well, but I couldn't not buy a clean car due to it.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast