1999 Lincoln Town Car intake manifold cracked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The water tube brackets?
    They mount on the back of the passenger side head.

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Yeah, but if you look closely at the pictures of the two, they have different mounting brackets, and look different too, even though both supposedly do the same thing and both fit the same car.
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
      1999 Lincoln Town Car Signature

Comment

Ok.

-ryan s.
        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--

Comment

Originally posted by lithdoc View Post
          Nope, no need for the upgrade. I'll get the Dorman from Amazon for $170, as well as new o-rings for the fuel injectors. I'm close to giving up on the JB weld patchwork!

In the meantime, my dear 89 GM is seeing some road time!
          There's a kit on Ebay for the O-rings and filters as well:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280818119187...84.m1439.l2649

Pete
          Originally posted by gadget73
          For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
          1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
          1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Are the o rings or gaskets on the intakes re sealable? I have a friend that is demoing a vic with a practically new intake I can have that's why I ask
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

Originally posted by Piece-it pete View Post
              There's a kit on Ebay for the O-rings and filters as well:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280818119187...84.m1439.l2649

Pete

Thanks! Any input on which heater return hose is the one to get?

Edit: I researched further into the Dorman tubes. 626220 is the supply tube. 626223 is the return tube. In the description, it says that they both sit under the intake manifold. Do y'all recommend replacing both?
              Last edited by lithdoc; 06-24-2013, 10:31 AM.

Comment

I thought I'd give y'all an update...

I smeared plenty of JB weld the third time... and it is holding, for now. I've put some 200 miles on the car since, and no leaks so far. So for now, the project is on hold, but I am now well versed in what to do and how it needs to be done. Thank you for all your help folks and I will keep you updated!

Comment

Update #2. Okay, JB Weld is kinda useless, the leak has restarted. Ordered the Dorman from Amazon. Looking into getting the heater core return tube and injector O-rings, looks like RockAuto have the best price for that. Looks like there's an upcoming project for me for next week... Anyone willing in Detroit area is certainly welcome to join me!

Comment

Update #3.

Had three consecutive days off, so decided to take up the project. I studied the anatomy pretty extensively, and watched several videos in great detail. During removal, a major headache occurred taking off the dreaded bracket. The guy in the video somehow manages to removed it with relative ease, but I have no explanation how. In fact, removing that bracket without taking apart the windshield wiper assembly and motor is absolutely impossible! Bolt on top of another bolt with a steel brackef in between completely obstructing any tool access. I also was unable to disconnect the fuel line with my rental tools from O'Reilly's.

The first unforeseen problem was the fact that the top screw holding the bracket was part of the 9 manifold screws... Which I of course did not realize, then spent hours looking for it, and even going to the dealer to buy myself a new one. Then, of course, since I decided to change the spark plugs, and some coolant/engine degreaser combo got into the cylinders. So when everything went back on, the engine would not even turn over! That was a really scary experience, since it behaved as if it was seized. Fortunately I found someone else's exact same problem online on lincolnsonline.com - it was a hydrolock of the motor. All the spark plugs were taken out, engine cranked and it started squirting like a fountain. Shortly after that, she starting purring like a good ol' panther once again!

The only problem that remains is with the two "plugs" that are in the coolant crossover part of the manifold. The left one is with a blunt top, but from what I remember the right one had a connector on it (coolant temp sensor???). At some point the connector was taken off, and for the life of me, I cannot seem to find it so I could put it back on. Now the right "plug" looks exactly like the one on the left. I searched for a space connector throughout the engine bay and I cannot seem to find it anywhere. I also do not know why it now looks exactly like the one on the left. My car is not throwing any codes and the temp shows up as it used to on the dash. Please advise. Thanks!
                    Last edited by lithdoc; 07-13-2013, 11:09 AM.

Comment

This is the bolt that I'm referring to. It used to have electrical wires connected, now it does not. I cannot seem to find the wires or the connector anywhere. I was under impression that this was the coolant temperature sensor, but apparently it is not, as my dash is still displaying temperature and the car is not throwing any codes.

What purpose does it serve? Any idea where I could look for the wires that lead to it? I'm at a bit of a loss...

Click image for larger version

Name:	bolt.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	1272751

Comment

??

-ryan s.
                        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

You can cut that notch out thats next to the temp sensor.

-ryan s.
                          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k

Comment

Thanks for the reply. Is that the actual temp sensor? I do not seem to find the wire that connects to it, anywhere! Which harness does it come out of?

Comment

I read somewhere that the Dorman replacement intake like you installed can be installed on other models (don't remember which) but if this is true then that odd sensor/bolt could be used on a different model vehicle. Maybe it just serves as a plug on you car where it would be a sensor on something else.

Also I think different models have different alt brackets and maybe that is a bracket bolt on another car.

I'd say if it runs fine and no codes are shown, leave it be.
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

the actual temp sensor should be on the other side, if not there. On my 93 with it's bastardized 03 PI OBD-II setup that Gadget managed to piece together, it has the gauge sensor on the thermostat side and the ECM's temp sensor (ECT two wire) on that port (which I managed to crack like a dumbass cause I didn't use a torque wrench when installing a new sensor after mine shorted out - but the JB waterweld that I used managed to seal it up... so I'm ok). If there's no sensor on either side, I have no clue where it's mounted.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                                Originally posted by gadget73
                                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                                Originally posted by dmccaig
                                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                                X