No announcement yet.

1992 Mercury Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the AOD-E and the 4R70W have the same bell housing so a newer 4.6 could go in?

Comment

Yes. Engine controls are where it gets dicey with that. if you retain all of the original controls and find someone to tune it, it will probably work.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

checked the thread again... you have a bastard block you can bolt up a 302 no problem. I forgot to check the thread title and just looked at your nickname.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'd spray tint the reverse lights as well.
          Maybe the tail lights too.

Finish off the murder look.

-ryan s.
          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
          Originally posted by pantera77
          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

So, Its been about 3 months I haven't done an update. I finally rebuilt the rear end with 4.10 gears. Still breaking in the gears. still need 290 miles more. I have just found a 302 from a 1988 crown victoria. My main worries were for the accessories of the engine. I know its a lopo but I will be rebuilding it. Now I just need to find an ecu. First goals are to do the swap to fix all the wiring and hoses for the AC and Power steering. After transmission and last the engine. Later in the day I will post pictures of the rear end rebuild.
            1992 Mercury Grand Marquis.
            Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
            Future upgrades: 5.0 swap, 4r70w swap, aluminum driveshaft.
            sigpic

Comment

Here are some pictures of the complete rebuild

Brand New axle

Carrier is out

Painted to take care of the rust

Chassis painted to take care of rust POR 15

Backlash set at 0.009 in

Teeth Pattern

Girdle

Axle in the car

On the ground

Last edited by pivichot; 09-15-2015, 04:06 PM.
              Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
              sigpic

Comment

Cool.

A block is a block really. None of the lopo parts are special, but frankly none of the stock HO parts are either. The closest thing to a "special" factory 302 is Explorer stuff or if you happen to luck into a Cobra motor. You can put anything you like in the shortblock and stick decent heads and intake on it and have something. The accessories can be the tricky part, but you've got them now at least.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Cool.

A block is a block really. None of the lopo parts are special, but frankly none of the stock HO parts are either. The closest thing to a "special" factory 302 is Explorer stuff or if you happen to luck into a Cobra motor. You can put anything you like in the shortblock and stick decent heads and intake on it and have something. The accessories can be the tricky part, but you've got them now at least.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    Cool.

Honestly, If I am going to spend money on this project I might as well do it right the first time. I tried contacting someone who was selling a cobra block on ebay, but doesn't say anything on the conditions of the engine. The guy was asking 500 plus shipping. I can probably buy a decent rotating assembly for the block with a little more. My aims are 300 hp. If I can get 400 at the crank, even better.
                    sigpic

Comment

Picture of the 302 engine.

Should get it by the end of the month.
                      sigpic

Comment

A H/C/I 302 will get you well over 300 at the crank. All your mainly interested in there is the block, rest is scrap weight.
                        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

The more and more I see this thread, the more and more I want to put a nice 5.0L into a bastard block Crown Vic

2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 2wd - Magnaflow Axleback exhaust, K&N 63 Series CAI, DiabloSport 87 Octane tune, LEDs, 3000K LED projector fogs, 5000K Mini H1 projectors - Daily
                          1967 Ford Galaxie 500 Sedan "C-Code" - 289 2bbl/Cruise-O-Matic - Money pit/project

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                            A H/C/I 302 will get you well over 300 at the crank. All your mainly interested in there is the block, rest is scrap weight.
                            I'm only interested in the block and brackets. Everything else is going to the garbage. In the summer, hopefully I will be able to send the block to a machine shop to be inspected.
                            sigpic

Comment

It has been since September I don't do an update. Not much has been done. The rear end on the Mercury has already been broken in. Here is a video or 2.

So, everything is perfect with the rear end. Speedo is still off, using my phone for a speedometer.
                              Plans have slightly changed a bit. For the ECU I found a tweecer RT for relatively cheap, 310 used in good working condition.
                              It doesn't work with the 4.6 ECU in my car, even though I was told it would. For the 302 I already have the wiring, need to modify it. Also found an ECU from a mustang for $35 which is supported with the Tweecer RT. It is of a catch code W4H0 which is part of the CBAZA strategy. I just know it will work.
                              Here is a picture of the Tweecer RT

Last thing, I decided to ditch the AOD and use a 4r70w. Don't know if I have posted that yet here. The ecu can control an AODE which can be made to control a 4r70w. Or I might just go with a full manual valve body. Still need to decide. But those are the current update. Things have been slow due to classes and saving up money for the engine. Already have money saved for the transmission rebuild.
                              The transmission cam from a 98 explorer with a 5.0.
                              Here is a picture
                              sigpic

Comment

Apparently I can only include one video per post. Here is another video.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X