PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: 1992 Mercury Grand Marquis

Picture of the Oil Pump

Picture of the cylinder head

Still not sure what exactly happened with the cylinder head because I was always careful where I would place the cylinder head when I was working on it.
    Last edited by pivichot; 02-07-2017 at 10:55 PM.
    1992 Mercury Grand Marquis.
    Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
    Future upgrades: 5.0 swap, 4r70w swap, aluminum driveshaft.

Approaching 2 decades of DDing Box Panthers VicCrownVic's Avatar

That sucks man.
    I see from the video that you're working outside... just think about people like me without a garage waiting for snow/freezing temperatures to go away before I can get back to working on stuff that isn't absolutely necessary and hopefully that silver lining can make things brighter.

Good luck.
    Vic

~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - I'll fix it eventually
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - My rotting winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Iron is not all that hard, its much easier to scratch than you'd probably like.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by VicCrownVic View Post
    That sucks man.
    I see from the video that you're working outside... just think about people like me without a garage waiting for snow/freezing temperatures to go away before I can get back to working on stuff that isn't absolutely necessary and hopefully that silver lining can make things brighter.

Good luck.
    I understand your point and I am glad I live in Miami for that reason. These hiccups can occur in any project. I know it is going to be worth it in the end.
    Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    Iron is not all that hard, its much easier to scratch than you'd probably like.
    Honestly did not know that. I would have thought it was stronger.

You could always resurface them yourself...

I love this guy's channel. He has some seemly crazy but very effective home brew mechanic stuffs!
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Quote Originally Posted by Grand Marquis GT View Post
    You could always resurface them yourself...

I love this guy's channel. He has some seemly crazy but very effective home brew mechanic stuffs!
    I have seen that video, but I wouldn't feel comfortable on these heads. On some cheap heads I would try them but after spending a few more that I would like, I really don't feel comfortable.

Honestly thats not a bad way to do it. For a few thou, lapping it on paper works just fine.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Current update on the Mercury. Nothing has been done. Don't know if I mentioned that the transmission was assembled. Haven't done much videos. Mainly been saving up money to pay insurance and bills. Good thing is I finally got a job with my degree. Which means I will steer the build somewhat different. For now it will get the engine and transmission combo but the engine and transmission will only be for a year or two max. This will let me see how I can do a turbo build with the AC and components in place. Once that is done I will be going all out on the new engine. Bad part is I will only be limited to weekends or after work. But there is a new project also coming along. I will make a new build thread for that one. The new project is a 2000 Crown Victoria and that will be my daily driver. Main goal for that one is at least 400 hp. That will be accomplished by using a supercharger. And hopefully in two years the Mercury will be aimed towards over 500hp. I will take my time with that build. But for now the current build should be done by September.

Congrats on the job and hopefully a bump in income that goes with it.

Ok. I keep delaying the project but I bought some sandpaper to hopefully fix the scratch on the head. I used the method of the video on another car and that car is running better than before. So, instead of spending 100 to shave both heads I will try 15 bucks before. Worst that could happen is that I spend 15 dollars more than I want. Haven't been working on the swap since I bought another project. A f150 that I will use to tow the mercury to be able to take it drag racing. The nearest track is about 35 miles away I think. Don't really want to depend on one car when I do go. Also something to haul my tools when I go drag racing.

OK. So one month after update and nothing yet. Have been getting more parts for the Mercury. So, the truck I bought seems that the piston rings are bad. After rebuilding the heads with new valve guides and valves at home. Good thing is the heads will go to my dads van because he needs them. Parted out the truck and bought another one. Was able to get an aluminum driveshaft for the mercury and a transmission harness. This helps for the swap. Just need to finish the engine and transmission valve body. It is so close yet so far away. Perseverance is going to be key in this project. Also got mandrel bent exhaust for tail pipe from an impala ss. Summit has a few in stock if anyone is interested.

It has been a while with no update.

https://youtu.be/xFzdHdqamb0

Car is still in progress. Hopefully over soon. For the transmission I am going to modify the valve body to make it a manual valve body. No need for a computer to control the transmission.
    More updates to come.

Looking forward to more!

AOD with a wide ratio gearset is all you need. It will shift itself and do so without a computer. Personal opinion, but cars should either shift themselves completely or require 3 pedals to operate.

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    AOD with a wide ratio gearset is all you need. It will shift itself and do so without a computer. Personal opinion, but cars should either shift themselves completely or require 3 pedals to operate.
    I do agree but it was cheaper to go with the 4r70w versus a manual transmission. I feel that the transmission itself will handle better than any cheap manual transmission that can be installed. Transmission itself was 300 plus the rebuild and to be kit will add up to about 800 in total for the transmission. For the manual I would need a flywheel, clutch, and transmission. A used manual was around 400-500 in my area. Eventually I want a manual.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00012[1].jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	50319

Started removing the wiring harness for the ECU and removed the old exhaust pipe.Tuesday I should have the engine and transmission out.

Long time with no update. May end up doing a frame swap on the 92. Have replaced 3 out of 4 doors due to rust. Working on replacing the interior with an 05.

Name:	53293132_1739111632855612_5033872589135544320_n.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	52009

Name:	60150061_1837235559709885_8087005414970884096_o.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	137.5 KB 
ID:	52010

Name:	59677116_1837235479709893_284016042571726848_o.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	180.9 KB 
ID:	52011

Name:	56468324_1792823644151077_639245404575105024_o.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	52012

Vinyl Cheese, Meat Pasty SVT98t's Avatar

Thanks for the update!!!

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 168k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 58k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 193k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    Quote Originally Posted by pantera77 View Post
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Rust sucks!

Can’t wait to see the finished product!

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast