No announcement yet.

1992 Mercury Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, tomorrow I am sending the engine to the machine shop. Going as stated 0.030 overbore, forged piston, having the rotating assembly balanced, and pistons installed with the connecting rod. Got a current estimate. 220 to bore and hone plus 40 to use a torque plate, 220 to balance the rotating assembly, 50 to install the piston with connecting rod, 35 to inspect the crankshaft and polish, and around 60 to clean the block. May be on the high side but I am want this engine to last for a good while. Any advice or question I should ask to the machine shop is much appreciated.
    1992 Mercury Grand Marquis.
    Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
    Future upgrades: 5.0 swap, 4r70w swap, aluminum driveshaft.
    sigpic

Comment

Have them put the cam bearings in too. Takes a special tool and some know-how to get it right.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        Have them put the cam bearings in too. Takes a special tool and some know-how to get it right.
        Will have it done by the machine shop. Actually forgot to ask them for the price. Thank you.
        Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
        sigpic

Comment

Well, took everything to the machine shop today. A little higher than expected, but they seem to do quality work. Total cost was $845. This includes bore and hone with a torque plate 0.030 over, freeze plugs and oil galley plugs, camshaft bearing install( bearings were provided Clevite) , Balancing crankshaft with rods and pistons, inspecting connecting rods (free), press fitting connecting rods with pistons, cleaning the block, and decking the block. I asked how much they would charge to build the engine and they said 400. This would include the shortblock assembly and would degree the camshaft, might tell them to build it. Still have 2 to 3 weeks to make a decision. Also forgot to mention that the engine would be blueprinted.
          sigpic

Comment

Just let them do it.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

At that rate its nearly together. About all thats left is putting in the crank and cam, but there is some stuff to getting the bearing clearances right. Unless you're comfortable doing all that, it would probably be worth it to just have them deal with it.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'd let them build it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Well then. Based on all the input, I will let them build the short block. I don't have the proper tool to determine well the clearance.
                  sigpic

Comment

Time for some updates. I should Hopefully be receiving the engine this week from the machine shop. I decided to rebuild the engine because I want to get some experience. I already bought some calipers and dial bore gauge. I am recording the whole progress of changing the powertrain on this car. I already took a video of the dis-assembly of the transmission. It is a little long at 2 hours but I walk through the steps of basically opening it up. If you guys just want to know a little about the car, part 1 just watch the first five to ten minutes and the last 10 minutes on the second video. Links if anyone is interested https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcD...OVJ5L1DwqG126g . This is basically the channel I am dedicating on car repairs that I make. The videos will come in stages. The Stages are as follows:
                    Stage 1: Transmission Rebuild
                    Stage 2: Engine Rebuild
                    Stage 3: Install of Transmission and Engine into the car.
                    Stage 4: Wiring and Tuning.

Criticism is welcomed, so I can better improve the channel. One criticism to that I noticed on my own are too many um, um, and did I mention um. I will still keep you guys updated with pictures, but also now with video.
                    sigpic

Comment

Cool. Subscribed.

Talking on camera can leave you speechless sometimes. Using fillers to bridge the awkwardness helps get ya by.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                        Cool. Subscribed.

Talking on camera can leave you speechless sometimes. Using fillers to bridge the awkwardness helps get ya by.
                        Thanks. It did help me get by, but I feel like I repeated a lot. I guess that's the problem of a video not being scripted. Well either way, I hope this channel helps people out that may want to do a 302 swap. Also, video quality will get better.
                        sigpic

Comment

cussing when the wrench slips also helps fill the gaps

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                            cussing when the wrench slips also helps fill the gaps
                            Wouldn't be a bad idea, but I want to somehow use the channel to support my resume. An employer might or might not like the idea of cursing.
                            sigpic

Comment

Thats what sound effects and bleeps are for.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                                Thats what sound effects and bleeps are for.
                                True. Would have to look into that.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X