1992 Mercury Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current update on the car.
    Engine is still at the machine shop. It is already a month, but the owner has been good in answering all the questions I have had. Hopefully it will be done next week.
    Transmission is completely disassembled and there are only two parts that are damaged. These are the sun gear and direct shaft. It is not that they are damaged but more of the line of having a lot of wear. A new direct shaft has been ordered from ford for $22. The direct clutch is already rebuilt. Only missing the reverse and forward drum. Need to order a new snap ring and piston for the forward drum because it doesn't seem like it will hold and the piston has a wear mark where the seal mounts. Will post pictures later.
    1992 Mercury Grand Marquis.
    Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
    Future upgrades: 5.0 swap, 4r70w swap, aluminum driveshaft.
    sigpic

Comment

Slow and good beats the snot out of fast and shitty any day of the week when it comes to engine assembly.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Was a little busy to post. Here are the pictures of the direct shaft.

As you can see the teeth do not look so good, so I don't want to risk it. A new direct shaft from ford was about $22. Also have to look for a sun gear because the one I have as you will see is a little pitted where the gear meets up.

I guess it worn, so I will look for one in better shape.
        Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          Slow and good beats the snot out of fast and shitty any day of the week when it comes to engine assembly.
          I decided the machine shop will not build the engine. I already bought a good dial bore gauge and several measurement calipers. They are precise up to 0.0001 of an inch. The piston has to have a clearance of between 0.002 - 0.003. So it will measure well.
          sigpic

Comment

Still, slow and proper is better. Make sure you measure it at a few places in the bore and in at least 2 directions to make sure the hole is round and not tapered. Its pretty common to see both.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Still, slow and proper is better. Make sure you measure it at a few places in the bore and in at least 2 directions to make sure the hole is round and not tapered. Its pretty common to see both.
              Planning on doing that. Thinking of creating an excel sheet to record all the dimensions of the bore, crank and pistons.
              sigpic

Comment

Got good news today. The engine will be ready this week. Taking the heads to be cleaned and resurfaced when I will pick up the block , crank, and piston and rods. Transmission is coming along nicely. All the clutch packs are built and to spec. Just waiting on some parts. The intermediate shaft was somewhat damaged. Ordered a new one and it came dinged in two parts. By next weekend, I should be building the transmission and then starting on the engine build.
                sigpic

Comment

Alright, got the engine back from the machine shop. Pistons, connecting rods, and crank are balanced. The block is bored and honed and the freeze plugs are replaced. Here are some pictures.

sigpic

Comment

It has been since a month I haven't put an update on the mercury. Well, today I started to measure the crankshaft. Everything is within spec. Again Thanks to gadget73 for providing the tolerances for the engine. Only problem is that is has been raining the last 2 days.Good thing is that I can measure the engine block tomorrow, even though it rains.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Main 302 measurements.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	1280549
                    Last edited by pivichot; 08-08-2016, 10:29 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Looks like its nice and round anyway. Egged out crank holes no es bueno.

Comment

Looks like its nice and round anyway. Egged out crank holes no es bueno.
                        Yeah. Still need to measure the journals, bought I think its good. Will do that tomorrow.
                        sigpic

Comment

So, I ordered some parts on summit and put 2 day shipping. It was supposed to arrive today and didn't. Driver said he attempted to deliver at 4 in the afternoon. Complete BS. I saw the driver pass in front of my house at 4 pm. Never tried to stop. Currently getting video from my surveillance camera to prove it. Damn Fed Ex. Another delay because of an idiot. Talked with summit, will be receiving a refund on the delivery. Guess everything worked out, I guess.
                          sigpic

Comment

Hate that shit. I'm very lucky in that things that I absolutely need on a certain date I can have sent to work. I have the same drivers for FedEx, USPS and UPS at home and where I work too, and they know it. I've had packages addressed to my house that were delivered to me at work because it looked like rain.

Comment

Current Update. Not much has been done. Been busy with work and school. Graduating Mechanical Engineering this Semester and my main focus is first finishing the degree and then the car. Car was taken off the road and put back again. Just driving it during the weekend to prevent the tires or suspension from going bad. Good thing is I have most of the parts ready to build. Project will probably resume after December 13 which is when I graduate. I will keep you guys updated as I go.
                              sigpic

Comment

Good show man.
                                03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Working...
                                X