No announcement yet.

1992 Mercury Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've all been there. I've been patching holes as I go waiting for my head to come back up from under water. It'll be alright, cars can wait.

Comment

After 2 months got barely any updates.Finally Graduated Mechanical Engineering, now I can start on the engine. Have been doing some calculations with the engine main bearing clearances. So far the worst is 0.0031 which I feel is too much. While the tightest is around 0.002 which I feel is more comfortable. The one in between these two values ranges from 0.0022 to 0.0025 which I am still comfortable with. Will be remeasuring the main bores of the engine block. Might have to do with the ARP bolts. Maybe I didn't use enough ARP lube, will also be calling them to make sure what the torque specs are.
      1992 Mercury Grand Marquis.
      Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
      Future upgrades: 5.0 swap, 4r70w swap, aluminum driveshaft.
      sigpic

Comment

So, did some more measurements of the Block and hopefully the last ones for it. everything comes out good. Goo oil clearance with the tighter measurement between 0.0016 to 0.0022 and with the looser side I got between 0.0017 to 0.0023. Good Enough for me. Tapped out the Oil Galley Plugs Today, now just need to clean the engine block and then Paint it Ford Blue. Below You can see the calculations. I think My original mistake was I tighten the bolts to 60 lb-ft instead of the required 70 ft-lb. That would explain the difference.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine Oil Clearance.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	1281058
        Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
        sigpic

Comment

Cleaned the engine block yesterday. The engine is getting close to assembly. Today I just painted the engine block. Wasn't so sure on the color but it came out good. Went with Ford Blue.

Name:	15440347_948244391942344_6812621954433921322_o (1).jpg
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	1281060
          sigpic

Comment

Current Progress. Camshaft and Crankshaft are installed. Still need to install timing chain but will need to wait because I still need to order a few parts to degree the cam. Installed today 5 out of 8 pistons. Everything is going smooth and I lost the oil pump bolts. Will either way buy ARP bolts for the pump. Now Pictures. Below is a picture when The 3rd piston was installed. The numbering is weird because I just numbered pistons 1-8 without saying where they went. This was to do some calculations to Blue Print this engine.

Name:	IMG-20161223-WA0010.jpeg
Size:	950.4 KB
ID:	1281078Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20161223-WA0020.jpeg
Size:	500.6 KB
ID:	1281079
            sigpic

Comment

The rods are actually stamped with the position from the factory, or at least every Ford 302 I've ever had my hands in was.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                The rods are actually stamped with the position from the factory, or at least every Ford 302 I've ever had my hands in was.
                I meant the sharpie number on the rod that can be seen in the picture. Number 8 is in the number 6 position. That was because I just numbered it that way. These were remanufactured rods. I searched everywhere but they didn't have numbers to them. I'll take a closer picture to post it here.
                sigpic

Comment

Short Block is almost assembled.

sigpic

Comment

ah, gotcha.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Progress, nice!
                      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Not much progress has been done, but I am getting there. Painted the transmission case. I know, why did I paint it since it will never be seen. I guess it was since I am spending too much on this project that I want to know it is nice underneath. Want to make it look factory. Just finished degreeing the trickflow cam. Has slightly more lift that what is advertised. an extra 4 thousands in the exhaust, might need to look out for that when checking for piston to valve interference.

Name:	20170107_112211.jpg
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1281174Click image for larger version

Name:	20170105_173524.jpg
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	1281175
                        sigpic

Comment

Total lift doesn't actually have a whole lot to do with p2v clearance issues. Its more of a problem with duration. Max open occurs when the piston is down towards the bottom of the bore, if it holds too long though the piston gets back up top before the valve gets out of the way. Always worth confirming that things aren't going to meet in the middle though.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            Total lift doesn't actually have a whole lot to do with p2v clearance issues. Its more of a problem with duration. Max open occurs when the piston is down towards the bottom of the bore, if it holds too long though the piston gets back up top before the valve gets out of the way. Always worth confirming that things aren't going to meet in the middle though.
                            The method I will be using is to use play doh to check the clearance.
                            sigpic

Comment

yeah, most of them do use some sort of putty. I've also heard of people using plumber's putty. Same difference.

Comment

More progress has been done. Already have one of the two heads built. Valves, springs, and shims are from Alex's Parts. Everything has been measured and the valve spring installed height is around the desired height. Decided to do video updates. Quick videos of things being done. Let me know what you guys think.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X