Views:	1
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	1281212Click image for larger version

Name:	20170112_172520_1484273810471.jpg
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	1281213
    1992 Mercury Grand Marquis.
    Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
    Future upgrades: 5.0 swap, 4r70w swap, aluminum driveshaft.
    sigpic

Comment

Its awesome you are doing all the assembly work. I am interested in seeing when you get your solid lifter, the process of checking PTV clearance. Maybe that is something you can film?
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

You can actually make a solid lifter from a stock one. Never done it but basically you take it apart and flip something over.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...asurement.html

nice cheap option if you're replacing them anyway. I probably ought to save one of the good ones from my engine and do that with, just so I know I never need it. I have that pushrod length checker tool that I made for the same reason. Annoyingly with that I found out that no dimension you can measure on a pushrod with normal tools matches up to the dimension Comp pushrods are sold as.

Those type clamps are nice on the bench, but vastly easier if you've got a head stand. You can buy them or knock together a functional equivalent from some scrap lumber and allthread easy enough.

https://www.amazon.com/Moroso-62080-.../dp/B000COS59M

The only time I did a set of heads myself off the car I was able to use a set that a friend had. I wouldn't buy a set to use once though.

http://www.diyporting.com/E7OV.html if you're interested in doing some massaging on the heads.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
          Its awesome you are doing all the assembly work. I am interested in seeing when you get your solid lifter, the process of checking PTV clearance. Maybe that is something you can film?

Will do. I have been filming most of the assembly of the engine. Just haven't gotten around to actually editing it.
          Last edited by pivichot; 01-13-2017, 10:15 PM.
          Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            You can actually make a solid lifter from a stock one. Never done it but basically you take it apart and flip something over.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...asurement.html

nice cheap option if you're replacing them anyway. I probably ought to save one of the good ones from my engine and do that with, just so I know I never need it. I have that pushrod length checker tool that I made for the same reason. Annoyingly with that I found out that no dimension you can measure on a pushrod with normal tools matches up to the dimension Comp pushrods are sold as.

Those type clamps are nice on the bench, but vastly easier if you've got a head stand. You can buy them or knock together a functional equivalent from some scrap lumber and allthread easy enough.

https://www.amazon.com/Moroso-62080-.../dp/B000COS59M

The only time I did a set of heads myself off the car I was able to use a set that a friend had. I wouldn't buy a set to use once though.

http://www.diyporting.com/E7OV.html if you're interested in doing some massaging on the heads.

Thanks for the links. I will be making a solid lifter from one lifter, but I threw out all the old ones. Crap. Well, I guess I will buy one more additional one. I didn't go so much into porting the heads because these are just going to be on the engine about a year or so. I want to upgrade to AFR heads, just didn't have the budget to buy them new. Never seen the stands, it would have honestly helped. I guess I will buy them for the next engine build. My dad wants me to rebuild his engine after I finish mines.
            sigpic

Comment

PM me an address, I've got a used one that I can send you. They're likely hitting the trash otherwise.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

PM me an address, I've got a used one that I can send you. They're likely hitting the trash otherwise.
                Thank You. Sent you a PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Some picture of today's progress.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	20170113_185146.jpg
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1281214Click image for larger version

Name:	20170113_185134.jpg
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	1281215Click image for larger version

Name:	20170113_184859.jpg
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	1281216Click image for larger version

Name:	20170113_184846.jpg
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	1281217Click image for larger version

Name:	20170113_173622.jpg
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1281218
                  sigpic

Comment

More progress. Rebuilt the main part of the transmission today. Just need to rebuild the valve body and send the torque converter to be rebuilt. Won't buy a torque converter now since I may upgrade the heads in a year or so.

sigpic

Comment

How many chickens do you have to kill for the voodoo ceremony to make an AOD work properly? I couldn't find that spec in my drivetrain book.

Comment

How many chickens do you have to kill for the voodoo ceremony to make an AOD work properly? I couldn't find that spec in my drivetrain book.
                        Which spec? the intermediate clutch?
                        sigpic

Comment

Just sum total. Curious if I have enough in the coop currently or if I need to take on some more before I consider attempting a rebuild on one.

Comment

Just sum total. Curious if I have enough in the coop currently or if I need to take on some more before I consider attempting a rebuild on one.
                            I will say. I have just rebuilt a total of 5 transmissions. The AOD and 4r70w are hands down the easiest ones to rebuild. I have rebuilt focus and nissan transmissions, Nissan being the most difficult one and then the focus one. There is only one special tool that you need. Which is a bar that costs 35 bucks. No need for lip seal protectors, just use a 2 liter bottle or a feeler gauge. C clamps to push down on the springs. If you ever do try to rebuild one just let me know how I can help.
                            Last edited by pivichot; 01-21-2017, 10:54 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

So, not so good update. The project is coming along and the budget is non-existent. Waiting to flip a car I bought. But, that is not the bad news, bad news is that I somehow made the oil pump crack . Apparently I listened to ARP on their torque recommendation of 45 ft-lbs for the bolt from pump to block and 24 ft-lbs from pickup to pump. The 24 ft-lbs was a failure. Will post pictures tomorrow but yeah. Need to contact arp and see what can be resolved. The kit I bought was the following one:
                              http://arp-bolts.com/kits/instructions.php?RecordID=491
                              and from there it takes me to the recommended torque spec for the 170,000 psi yield strength bolts. I am pissed. I used the correct arp bolt lube and it broke. The max it went to was 19 ft-lbs.
                              Also, one of the heads got scratched. Don't know how because I was careful. So, I need to disassemble it and take it to the machine shop. It is that bad. My finger nail gets caught on the scratch.
                              Not my day.
                              I do hope to at least have good updates next week.
                              sigpic

Comment

That's a bummer buddy, but i'm sure it'll all come out alright in the end. You're making a goodly amount of progress, way the hell more than I've made in the last year and a half. Of course I did kinda have to start over.

Comment

Working...
                                X