No announcement yet.

1992 Mercury Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bah. hopefully it's just desiccant bits and not compressor bits.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Did you flush the system out before putting new parts on? If not, do so and try again. The black sludge does look a bit like compressor guts though.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

All parts were brand new. Condenser, evaporator, accumulator, compressor, and hoses. Don't think I needed to flush everything. Since I am planning on the build I am just replacing the orifice tube. Probably the variable orifice tube caused problems. Don't know. Just sucks that after 500 dollars in repair this appears. I just took it today to remove the refrigerant, replaced the orifice tube, and installed a cheap orifice tube vs a $20 one. I pulled a 10 minute vacuum. Tomorrow I am pulling a 1 to 2 hour vacuum to make sure there is no humidity.
        1992 Mercury Grand Marquis.
        Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
        Future upgrades: 5.0 swap, 4r70w swap, aluminum driveshaft.
        sigpic

Comment

hm, well if its all brandy new then you shouldn't need to flush it. Just make sure its got the right amount of oil and try again.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

well. after replacing the orifice tube and refilling the system. The Ac cools but not completely. Gonna let it a day or two before assuming the compressor is bad. It allows me to be comfortable in the car vs the windows open. As long as it lasts a year or two I am happy. Since I will retrofit an older system to it. Ar the 1991 compressors better than an FS10 compressor? Do the 1990 have Teflon in them?
            Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
            sigpic

Comment

Well, I already found an engine wire harness for a 302 and a pedal assembly for the Grand Marquis. I have been searching information regarding the T5 transmission. Are they good transmission if taken care of or just bad transmission for a big car like the mercury? I am actually planning when I will install the transmission to buy one used and then upgrade I believe to a TKO500. any suggestions? Another question where would be a good idea to search on rebuilding a 302 with forged internals? Only thing that might be forged is pistons and maybe connecting rods. This is in case if I ever decide to add a vortech supercharger or procharger.
              sigpic

Comment

Well I just got a 302 engine harness and a pedal assembly for the manual transmission if I decide to go that route. Just 68 bucks. going slow but I will get there. Next will be the big brake conversion.
                sigpic

Comment

Well, it has been a while since I have done anything to the car. Still have not started anything on it since I have been studying too much. Have been researching and still thinking on the engine. My choices now are a 5.0 or a 5.8. Already got the spindle and stabilizer bar for the big brake upgrade from a 2000 crown victoria. I will go with a megasquirt II setup since it will only be 300 plus a fuel air ratio that together is almost 500. Suspension might be done in the summer. Any suggestions on things to worry between the 302 or 351? Also which headers should I use if I go with either of the two engines? I will be using E7TE heads. Since they can be found cheap and I will do a basic port job to them. Although I would love more horsepower I also want torque to get this car moving.
                  sigpic

Comment

I honestly wouldn't waste my time with e7's. GT40P's are literally everywhere and much better.
                    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

So it has been a while I have not posted on here. I just want to put some updates on the Mercury. Plans for the engine and transmission are still pending but I decided to stay with the AOD. I am planning on building it.
                      So this is what I did to the car last summer:
                      -Big Brake Upgrade
                      -New Brake Lines
                      -New Paint
                      -New fuel pump and teflon fuel line.
                      -AC has been fixed, yet again.
                      -New Cooper CS5 tires
                      Enough of me talking, here are some pictures.

Old brakes

New suspension

Also painted last summer
                      How it was
                      [/URL]

Removing Paint
                      [/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

To what it looks now

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

A year After I started to wetsand the clear to get a better shine out of the paint.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]
                      Last edited by pivichot; 06-17-2015, 10:52 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Also last year I put sequential tail lights on it.
                        Here is a video
                        https://youtu.be/iIn6bcqgrzs

I also did a cluster swap to a digital one. In this video it can be seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggSmKJqw4V8
                        Last edited by pivichot; 06-17-2015, 11:08 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Love murdered out aeros (especially digidash aeros). Reminds me of a SICK '92 Town Car some guy on CVN used to own. It was done up like your '92 Grand Marquis, right down the epic clearcoat. I always loved how the sinister vibe from the blackout treatment contrasts the smooth, almost docile aero body lines. The sequential tails are cool too, surprised at how well they work on the '92-'94 half length tail light bezels.

Definitely interested in seeing another 5.0 aero around. And you'll be able to handle all that extra (and more usable) power, thanks to the big brakes. Going fast has to be balanced with stopping fast!
                          Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 06-17-2015, 11:17 PM. Reason: added some context.
                          '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                          '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                          '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Next thing that I will do this year is a gear swap. I will be going from 3.08 gears to 4.10 gears. I already bought 4.10 gears plus a bearing kit for only 225 on ebay. Also bought new axles for it. Got the axles for 23 bucks each. They are not motorcraft but they are Alloy Usa Performance axles. This will be my first rear end rebuild. Also I am going with limited slip.
                            Axles

Gears and Bearings

This will be done before September for sure.
                            sigpic

Comment

Still not a 5.0. Still has a bastard block.
                              sigpic

Comment

I hear somewhat questionable things about the FRPP gear sets the last couple years. Apparently they are being made by Motive in China, and some have a tendency to whine. Hopefully yours doesn't end up being one of those. Might also be setup related, some seem to be more bitchy about it being just so otherwise it makes noise.

Paint came out looking nice though.

Comment

Working...
                                X