1992 Mercury Grand Marquis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hearsesrock427 View Post
    Love murdered out aeros.... some guy on CVN had a SICK '92 Town Car done up like your '92 Grand Marquis. Clearcoat came out nice too! I love how the sinister vibe from the blackout treatment contrasts the smooth, almost docile aero body lines. The sequential tails are cool too, surprised at how well they work on the '92-'94 half length tail light bezels.

Definitely interested in seeing another 5.0 aero around. And you'll be able to handle all that extra (and more usable) power, thanks to the big brakes. Going fast has to be balanced with stopping fast!
    The brakes are a night and day difference. People usually want to go fast but they never think abut the little details. My plans were first suspension and then power. I never saw on CVN the 92 town car. Do you happen to have a link or user name so I could also see it?
    1992 Mercury Grand Marquis.
    Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
    Future upgrades: 5.0 swap, 4r70w swap, aluminum driveshaft.
    sigpic

Comment

I could tell by the sound in the exhaust clips it was a modular, haha. I figure you've still got some parts shopping to buy before swapping out the 4.6 for the 5.0. More gear + limited slip will help in the handling front. Will also make burnouts waaaaay more fun.
      '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
      '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
      '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        I hear somewhat questionable things about the FRPP gear sets the last couple years. Apparently they are being made by Motive in China, and some have a tendency to whine. Hopefully yours doesn't end up being one of those. Might also be setup related, some seem to be more bitchy about it being just so otherwise it makes noise.

Paint came out looking nice though.
        Thank You. But really it looks good from a distance. Since I painted it outdoors there was too much orange peel. Then again I only used a 10 gallon compressor. That was a pain. Since I put extra layers of clear I am now wet sanding it to get a smooth finish.
        Upgrades: Big Brake Upgrade, digital dash, Custom ignition Switch system, sequential tail lights, Teflon Fuel lines, LED interior lights, rear end rebuild with limited slip.
        sigpic

Comment

I could tell by the sound in the exhaust clips it was a modular, haha. I figure you've still got some parts shopping to buy before swapping out the 4.6 for the 5.0. More gear + limited slip will help in the handling front. Will also make burnouts waaaaay more fun.
          True. To tell you the truth I think I might stay with the 4.6. Again still pending. If I could find an accesory drive belt kit from an older crown victoria I might swap for the 302. But for the 4.6 I have some ideas for it. As long as I have a budget for it.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pivichot View Post
            The brakes are a night and day difference. People usually want to go fast but they never think abut the little details. My plans were first suspension and then power. I never saw on CVN the 92 town car. Do you happen to have a link or user name so I could also see it?
            Oh I bet. Especially because these cars tend to be neglected when enthusiasts like us buy them. Brand new brake parts + better than stock parts = win. Hope to get big brakes on my '89 this summer. That, combined with the whale sway bars and mild weight reduction stuff should make for a great handling and quick stopping muscle sedan.

The guy with the Town Car is wayfastwhitey on CVN. I don't think he posted any high-res pictures of his '92, but the signature picture does it ample justice.
            Last edited by Hearsesrock427; 06-17-2015, 11:37 PM. Reason: Added some context.
            '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
            '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
            '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Oh I bet. Especially because these cars tend to be neglected when enthusiasts like us buy them. Brand new brake parts + better than stock parts = win. Hope to get big brakes on my '89 this summer. That, combined with the mild weight reduction stuff should make for a great handling and quick stopping muscle sedan.

The guy with the Town Car is wayfastwhitey on CVN. I don't think he posted any high-res pictures of his '92, but the signature picture does it ample justice.
              Thanks. In case here is a link when I did the big brake swap. Includes somethings when I did mines which might help you.
              http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/u...Number=2840667

I went with all moog parts. It has been a year and it is great.
              sigpic

Comment

THe early 4.6 is sort of a problem to do much with. The stock parts kind of suck, and you're into a lot of work to swap parts that don't suck on. I've gone both ways with one, a bastard block to a 5.0 and a 93 to a PI motor and both were a pain in the ass. The 5.0 swap was rather less involved though. The wiring was definitely easier on that one.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I was looking at your youtube and the first vid of the car you mention the transmission wouldn't allow it to go over 35mph, so would it not shift into 3rd or 4th? That's what mine does, wondering if it'll require a full rebuild.
                  88 Town Car (wrecked, for sale)
                  Walker OEM duals with muffler deletes

Comment

pretty much any time there is a real problem with a transmission, you may as well rebuild it. You usually have to take apart things to a pretty extensive level, and while its all open it just makes sense to re-seal and re-clutch it at a minimum, along with a full inspection of all the parts. No 3 and 4 is usually a smoked direct clutch, and if that smoked you may be looking at a drum, along with a flush of the parts to get the smoked remains out of the rest of the trans.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 88Vic View Post
                      I was looking at your youtube and the first vid of the car you mention the transmission wouldn't allow it to go over 35mph, so would it not shift into 3rd or 4th? That's what mine does, wondering if it'll require a full rebuild.
                      Mine had the tv cable bushing gone, so it wouldn't go into 3rd or overdrive. The direct clutch pack I thing was burned. Here is a picture.Click image for larger version

Name:	328949_119692814797510_3431880_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	1277848

I only replaced seals and clutches. Total cost was around 400, since I did the rebuild.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        THe early 4.6 is sort of a problem to do much with. The stock parts kind of suck, and you're into a lot of work to swap parts that don't suck on. I've gone both ways with one, a bastard block to a 5.0 and a 93 to a PI motor and both were a pain in the ass. The 5.0 swap was rather less involved though. The wiring was definitely easier on that one.
                        If I rebuild this engine I would replace the heads with 96 or newer maybe even pi heads but that will bump the compression. If I were to supercharge or turbo it I would need to strengthen the block with at least a girdle plus all the other components such as pistons and rods. It all depends on the upgrades I do to the AOD. Honestly my main goals are 300 hp at the motor. I could just do a pi swap and end with it but the engine is 23 years old.Either way if I swap the engine I still need to buy another one. So that is why I more inclined to stay with this one. For engine management I would use a megasuirt ecu. Again, my plans could still change if I could find a donor car with all the parts I need.
                        sigpic

Comment

I was thinking of swapping out the 4.6l for a 5.0. How difficult is it just to swap one in? Will it hook up to the AOD? Sorry for all the questions. Just not of fan of the mod motor but love the car. Anyways my rings are shot in it too.

Comment

a 93 uses an AOD-E (electronic AOD) and uses the modular bell housing. The only 5.0L that will mate with that is the new Coyote modular 5.0L in the new mustangs and trucks. The old 302 won't mate up with that. You would have to swap in a mechanical AOD from something else to mate with a 302. The worst part though would be all the wiring to get it to work. You'd have to completely swap out the engine harness, trans harness, and then hack together what's left to the gauges in the car. It can be done, but it's a pain. You'd also need 91 engine mounts and possibly a different drive shaft.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If i went with a carbed 302 then i wouldn't have to worry about all the wiring. Correct? I am just looking at all options and also selling is an option too. I know i wont get much for a car that smokes this bad.

Comment

You'll probably get more for it with a smokey 4.6 then a hacked together carbed 302 swapped in.
                                2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                                2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Working...
                                X