Need more engine cooling power!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need more engine cooling power!

The 3-row radiator with more fins per linear inch does well on my 1990 Crown Vic. However, at speeds less than 30 mph. and with the outside temperature above 85 degrees F. and the AC on, the temp gauge creeps up. The car needs more airflow through the radiator. As Tim Allen on the tv show, Home Improvement, would say, “More (air) power!”

The car already has a 6-blade fan on a fan clutch. Would it be better to get a fan with more blades, and where would I find it? An engine oil cooler? A transmission cooler to take the load off the radiator? Dual electric pusher fans in front of the radiator?

What do you think?

I use a 3-core radiator too. I put in an electric fan:

I also put in an automatic thermostat, but can't seem to remember where I bought it. This has helped keep the car cool in the summer months. The fan harderly runs in the winter. I don't have a temp gauge in the car, so I don't know how much it helps.

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
    George Burns

Comment

I live in South Florida and have an OEM radiator and drive mostly city with no issues. Maybe you have naother issue???

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Whats done to the engine
        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

+1 stock radiator/fan and doesn't flinch at 103F outside (tested just last week).

probably need a good flush of the coolant system. Most of these cars don't need any more than a two core setup unless you've hotrodded it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Probably should flush, and replace the thermostat and radiator cap while you're at it. Thermostat may be going. Also may want to remove the radiator while you're at it and blast it with a hose, a lot of crap can get caught in the fins after 20 some years.

Tranny cooler is always a good idea. If you find a tow package or police car in the junkyard you can snag the parts off of them
            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
              I live in South Florida and have an OEM radiator and drive mostly city with no issues. Maybe you have another issue???
              "another"

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Yeah, I had two stock 89s and both were fine in all temps with A/C on. You have something else going on.
                2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                Past Panthers
                1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

You must have something else going on.
                  I've got a 91 with a stock Explorer 5.0 in it, CVPI tranny cooler and absolutely no temp problems.
                  Even it the hottest weather with the air on my temp gauge might get close to the half way mark.
                  I don't think getting more air is going to solve your problem.

Comment

I agree with everybody else, something is wrong.
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Exactly how much does it creep? A little increase is normal, say from 195 to 205, but thats nothing to worry about. I think I have the same radiator you have, with a stock 5 blade fan and clutch and it never gets over 210 even on the most ignorantly hot day and I have underdrive pullies on the car. If your clutch is weak, that will cause the temps to climb at low speed though. a missing fan shroud also makes it run hotter.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I will have to agree with everyone here.....you have another problem , my old 91 police vic would have trouble getting to operating temp on stupid hot days back in Oklahoma,(factory 3 row radiator, 190 temp thermostat, oil cooler)...a bad radiator cap,sticky thermostat, a bad fan clutch , or possibly a dirty cooling system could be the culprit here, if you don't know when those items were last serviced, I would just replace them (especially the radiator cap and the thermostat!)....a new fan clutch isn't expensive either, and is easy to replace.......(this assumes that you have no leaks and no head gasket issues, but the old pushrod motors {302 & 351} don't normally have this issue)

Comment

Your fan clutch is probably dying. Noticed it on mine recently, temps creeping up at low speeds and sitting at lights. Changed fan clutch and back to rock stable temperatures.

When you get 'er good 'n hot after a drive, open the hood, have somebody turn off the car while you watch the fan. If she keeps spinning, fan clutch time.

Alex.

Comment

Working...
                          X