dome light trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dome light trouble

I have a question. What size bulb would a 1989 MGM use in the dome light? I don't mean the LED kind just the regular kind. We had work done on Moby2 and the dome light cover the metal part was really hot. Then yesterday my husband couldn't start the car battery was dead. The battery is being charged overnight. Could the wrong watt bulb have been put in the dome? I am sorry if I am using the wrong terms. I am just winging it here. Thanks for any help.
    "Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach​ a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat drinking beer all day."

It was probably left on through the headlight switch having it switched on. If the shop left it on I'd have them pay for another battery if it doesn't take a charge. If the battery was real solid before that it would most likely be ok!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

P.S. The current bulb should be ok, though.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

thanks. I am glad you understood my question good enough to answer. Again, thanks.
        "Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach​ a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat drinking beer all day."

Comment

And regardless if it is a bulb or LED they should be same size. I just switched out all the bulbs in my MGM and got LEDs. For future reference, 194/906 is the number for the bulb.
          93 Mercury Grand Marquis "Lola" 150k+ miles

Comment

thank u. that is the bulb for the 2 map lights, right? what is the size for the dome light?
            Last edited by papawto8; 07-16-2013, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by papawto8 View Post
              thank u. that is the bulb for the 2 map lights, right? what is the size for the dome light?
              That is the size for the dome, door lights, and under the front dash, but I did not replace the map lights (they don't turn on when I unlock/open doors so I did not care about them) but the map lights are 194/912.
              93 Mercury Grand Marquis "Lola" 150k+ miles

Comment

For 91 the dome light bulb should be 561.
                On mine 561 is stamped into the end of the bulb:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20130716_201814.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	1272772

AZ says this will not fit 89 MGM though? I'll have to look at my 89 this weekend, but I thought the dome light bulb would be the same in 89 as it is in 91 since the light fixture and cover are the same.
                http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...uestid=2245148
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

There was a 561 in it and this is what it looked like when my husband took it out of the dome fixture.
                  The guy at AZ said to go to the 562 LL or LED since they used less wattage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2370.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	1272778

Comment

That's what I thought, it should be the same.
                    Less wattage should produce less heat. You can get LED in a normal or white light so that it looks original, they don't have to be the crazy colors like the blue that I have. Also less wattage means it should be able to run longer before draining the battery voltage to an unacceptable level.

Also like miamibob said, the current bulb should be ok, mine looks the same with the dark burnt look in the middle. Just get the battery charged and see if it works, or you may be able to see if the filament is broke.
                    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

$200.00 dollars for 1 new battery and alternator and the car is running again, for now.

Comment

LEDs would be a good upgrade to the map lights (the switched ones). I used to knock those on all the time reaching into the back seat and if the sun is shining, you don't notice the stupid thing is on...

Alex.

Comment

Originally posted by arny81991 View Post
                          And regardless if it is a bulb or LED they should be same size. I just switched out all the bulbs in my MGM and got LEDs. For future reference, 194/906 is the number for the bulb.
                          How are the LED's? Im thinking about switching mine

Motor City Patrick
                          1988 MGM

Comment

Working...
                          X