Questions on Shocks & Springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions on Shocks & Springs

The rear end of my 90gmq has been sagging pretty low and since I'm going to be packing it full of luggage and going on an out of state trip soon, it has been moved up my list of priorities.

1) How difficult is this? From what I've read I'll probably need a ratchet wrench to get it done.
    2) Should I be replacing both my shocks and springs?
    3) If I wanted to lift the rear end up higher than stock (f-150 springs??) or to have "load assist" shocks would this require more work than a standard replacement?

Basically I need shocks soon. It's the first time I've ever worked on my suspension and I don't know what to order so I want to get everything straight before I begin because I have a habit of starting a job and not having everything I need to finish it.

Thanks!

I'm not too experienced in this area, I've only replaced front shocks once (very easy), but I had air shocks on the rear that my dad installed on my 89 before he gave it to me. They were perfect for college, loading the trunk with a couple hundred pounds of luggage and a good 500 pounds of passengers in the back (plus a third passenger up front) to split gas money with.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

It should not be hard to R/R unless you have rust issues. If you have rust, take it to a shop. Let them earn their money. When I replaced my shocks many years ago, One car got police car springs and load leveler shocks ( the shock with the spring around it). The other car got crown vic station wagon with the tow package springs . and air shocks. One of my GMs got "Air Lift" air bags that went inside the spring. All of the above choices worked very well. If your car sags in the rear, I would replace both shocks and springs. Load leveler springs come to mind. I would get the heaviest shocks available.
      Hope this helps you.

Comment

If there are rust issues, a shop is the way to go unless you have an impact wrench.

Also, check rockauto.com for shocks on closeout.....I got a set of Motorcraft police shocks last year for my '98 Vic for $7 apiece. Perhaps you have a neighborhood shop that could then install them for you.

Comment

Wagon springs would fit my 90 sedan, right?

If I get a certain type of shock absorber should I get a certain type of spring?

Comment

Warning! Any injury is NOT MY FAULT. Or grandmarq.net's either. Jack stands, careful observation, awareness of dangerous big springs that can kill you, etc.

SUPER easy in my experience. Car on stands. Jack under pumpkin. Recip saw with a 12" metal blade (or 3) to cut the top nut off the shocks, watch the fuel lines on the drivers side. Blades last longer if sprayed with lubricant while cutting. Remove lower bolt and shock, you might need a stout ratchet/breaker bar and pipe for the lower bolt.

Gently lower jack - watch the rubber brake line! It's a good time to change it if you're inclined towards ripping your hair out. Heck I'd consider changing the diff oil, universals, and rear tranny seal while I've got the rear up. How's your rear brakes?

Place jack under one side of axle. Jack up until it's almost ready to lift the car off the stand. This lowers the other side of the axle. Go to other side, you should be able to pop the spring out with a tire iron (CAREFULLY! Big springs under tension are very dangerous.) Make sure it's actually pretty loose in the cup - the 'holders', first - with stock springs it should be, my experience. I can't for the life of me remember if you need to remove both first so I would. Watch that rubber brake line!

Attach your new spring bushing to the top of the spring with electrical tape. I always used cargo (variable rate) replacement springs so they were shorter than stock so there was plenty of room, no need for spring compressors on those. I carefully balance them on the bottom cup, then go to the other side and let the jack down a little, then check the spring placement again, etc. If they get LIGHTLY hung up I give them a love tap with a hammer to pop them into place, being very aware that I do not wish the springs to cave my face in.

Once the springs are in simply install shocks.

Wa'la!

I've always used stock cargo coils and HD shocks on my Grand Marquis's but there's a million different combos. Good luck

Pete
            Originally posted by gadget73
            For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
            1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
            1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

forget the saw and use a box end wrench to hold the top nut of the shock and use a large crescent wrench on the top of the shock shroud (should have a hex style top you can grab onto) and just keep working it out. takes a while, but you don't worry about damaging anything. If it's all rusted solid? all bets are off. use a saw.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I used a 90* disc grinder from under the car on my last one to gett the shock out.
                Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

On my '81 LTD I jacked up the back of the car and put jackstands under the rear frame. Then I pulled the rear wheels off. I took a rateching wrench (9/16 I think) and put it on the top shock nut. I had the wrench sticking out of the gap in the wheelwell between the body and the frame.On the end of the wrench, I slid a 3 foot piece of pipe which would give me the leverage like a breaker bar.

Comment

Make one of these. One cheap gear wrench + chain link + ratchet sized handle. Or buy one for $50 from snap on (RBT18). Reach in through the wheel well opening and go to town (vise grips on the top of the shaft to keep it from turning and let it hold itself against the frame/crossmember).

[RTB18 = 9/16" wrench. Might pay to check with an open end to double check what might be there now, and what might show up on the replacements]

Alex.
                    Attached Files

Comment

When I replaced the control arm bushings in the rear I put the wrench over the nut and just held onto the shock and twisted it off. I was fortunate enough that rust was not a huge issue being that I replaced the shock a few years back. I also benefit from new body mount bushings...helps giving you some hand clearance.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                        When I replaced the control arm bushings in the rear I put the wrench over the nut and just held onto the shock and twisted it off. I was fortunate enough that rust was not a huge issue being that I replaced the shock a few years back. I also benefit from new body mount bushings...helps giving you some hand clearance.
                        the shock shroud wasn't solid enough (slipped in it's crimp at the top) for me to do that until I got the nut up far enough to just spin off. Hence using the hex shaped top as the twist point.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Not trying to hijack the thread....my searches have come up nill.

What would I have to do to my 88 GM to accept police shock absorbers, front and rear?

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                            the shock shroud wasn't solid enough (slipped in it's crimp at the top) for me to do that until I got the nut up far enough to just spin off. Hence using the hex shaped top as the twist point.
                            poo. Thats shitty. What type of shocks? Maybe the kyb ones are made differently...or I just got lucky!
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand1 View Post
                              Not trying to hijack the thread....my searches have come up nill.

What would I have to do to my 88 GM to accept police shock absorbers, front and rear?
                              You are certainly not hijacking because I'm wondering this as well. I think you can just put them on but I'd like to hear it from someone who knows.

Comment

Working...
                              X