alternator voltage drop at WOT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alternator voltage drop at WOT

about 2 months ago, i replace the alternator with a new one from NAPA because the old one was going bad. since then, at WOT at high rpm right before shifting, the voltage light flickers as well as my headlights. never did that when the old alternator was still good.
    2010 Toyota Camry "Traveller II "
    54,xxx miles. New daily driver
    2001 Lincoln Town Car Signature "Leroy"
    rear cats deleted, 2" h pipe, dual 8" cherry bomb glasspacks
    114k miles. Sold to my coworker.
    1998 Toyota Camry "Traveller"
    Dead and sold.

Belt slipping?
    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

belt slippage or rebuilt alt has crappy bushings. A clutch pulley will help that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

does sound a lot like worn belt. Check the tensioner to see if its in the normal range. Often it will show fully to one side of the range if the belt is stretched.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
          Belt slipping?
          could be but everything is in the exact same spot that is was before (i triple checked when i bolted the alternator on) and the belt is new-ish
          Dead and sold.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
            belt slippage or rebuilt alt has crappy bushings. A clutch pulley will help that.
            belt is newish but tight as it should be, ill try finding another clutch pulley after i get paid this week
            Dead and sold.

Comment

the clutch pulley for the alternators requires a special tool.

the clutch pulley is kinda spendy... between $35 and $65 depending on source.

Info on them:

best deal I found with a quick google search:

non-ebay deal with tool (slow to ship unless things have changed):

I have a feeling that even with shipping on the tool from FIP, the ebay one will end up being less out of pocket. I haven't checked though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

the clutch pulley for the alternators requires a special tool.

the clutch pulley is kinda spendy... between $35 and $65 depending on source.

Info on them:

best deal I found with a quick google search:

non-ebay deal with tool (slow to ship unless things have changed):

I have a feeling that even with shipping on the tool from FIP, the ebay one will end up being less out of pocket. I haven't checked though.
                thanks sly! ill have to wait till I get paid for that...again
                Dead and sold.

Comment

that may not solve the problem... but it will help. Though, clutch pulleys only tend to last 30-50K miles... so what you end up not spending on alternator parts, you will probably spend on pulleys... unless you keep your foot out of it.

Comment

that may not solve the problem... but it will help. Though, clutch pulleys only tend to last 30-50K miles... so what you end up not spending on alternator parts, you will probably spend on pulleys... unless you keep your foot out of it.
                    yeah, keeping my foot out of it aint really an option for driving around here. with as many blind intersections as we got i see more WOT than not. probably pick up the pulley and tool next week once i get paid again...if i get paid enough this time
                    Dead and sold.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, when did Ford implement the WOT alternator shutoff? I know the Marauder had it in 03, but did that carry across to other lines as well and possibly at an earlier date?
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I think it matched the switch to the PI motors.

Comment

Working...
                        X