need full vacuum line diagram for an 81'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need full vacuum line diagram for an 81'

i messed up big time haha i was trying to make my engine bay look nice and though i really don't need all these vac lines and kinda ripped them out without noting what they do or where they went long story short my car runs like crap so now i need the line diagram to put it all together..... my car is a 1981 crown Victoria LTD with the 302 V8 its the 4 door and has no ac or smog pump anymore if that helps. any help would be greatly appreciated

anyone at all?

Comment

and you don't have the emissions stickers on the fan shroud or upper radiator support? (cause that's what you need to find.)

but until then... here's one that 85crownHPP made up a few moons ago...
      http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post532252

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

no the sticker is not there a lot of people suggested that haha, but does that one apply to the 81 also?

Comment

I don't know. It's a good base to start with though as all of the systems function the same basic way.

I have the diagrams from autozone (which are the diagrams in the Chilton's book) all in one huge GIF file. It looks like they're all carb and not CFI though. So I don't think it'll be of any help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1981-cv-vacuum-diagrams.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	1272993

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

bah... the site resized it.

here's a direct link to my slow ass server for the full size file...

http://www.grandmarq.net/sly/1981-cv...m-diagrams.gif
            Last edited by sly; 11-25-2021, 03:54 PM.

Comment

thanks alot man im almost certain one of those should work

Comment

if you have a vacuum distributor, then yes. If you have an electronically advanced distributor, then no. I don't know that carbs were available on the 302 in the states, but I've heard they were in Canada, so this may all be Canada 2bbl carb stuff.

Comment

Can a person still get the emissions sticker from the Ford dealer by giving them the Vin number ?

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                    I don't know. It's a good base to start with though as all of the systems function the same basic way.

I have the diagrams from autozone (which are the diagrams in the Chilton's book) all in one huge GIF file. It looks like they're all carb and not CFI though. So I don't think it'll be of any help.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]37058[/ATTACH]
                    I thought only Lincoln models got CFI in 1981? My '81 came with a 255-2V, Duraspark, and a vacuum computer with lots of hoses everywhere.

IMO, if the idea is getting the car to run well without smog equipment, the only benefit of OE emissions diagrams would be if the carb is a feedback style. And if it is, swapping to a conventional carb may be the most convenient fix.
                    Last edited by 1987cp; 08-25-2013, 11:58 PM.
                    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I had assumed the model was uncommon due to the lack of info i can find on it. it was manufactured in canada and i know it is the 302 and there is a vac line coming out of the front of the distrib running into the passenger side of the carb. im unsure if the carb is stock its a holly 2 bbl ? there is a larger vac port on the back of the carb thats been plugged off by the previous owner witch leads me to believe its not stock because i've yet to see any possible location that it could go to

Comment

Panther LTDs were super common not that long ago. Later Boxes were pretty easy to find on normal used car lots in the late '90s. They're disappearing as they rot out, or as stuff breaks and people aren't willing/able to fix them, or for some of us, they aren't driven anymore as we discover that not all newer stuff is awful and that working on old cars can be a very poor use of family time! Some are scrapped when they fail emissions tests and getting them to pass is too expensive. Most non-injected models are now at least 31 years old (302s in LTDs went to CFI in 1983, I think, and the 351-VV models were never that common to start with), and I don't think a lot of people keep a car much older than 10 years if they can afford to replace it. Panther production for 1979 was something staggering ... something like 500,000 units, I think? - and I recall reading that it went down from there until by 1991 relatively few were produced.

Anywhoo, my '81 came to me with a Holley 2V with Ford stickers on the side. When I posted pictures, some folks here speculated that it may have come with a feedback carb that malfunctioned and was serviced by replacing with a carb that worked.

You said you've ditched the smog pump, but are you keeping the EGR? If no EGR, your vacuum-hose needs can be simplicity itself - in fact, I remember someone saying not even to run vacuum advance with no EGR. Others say always use straight ported vacuum, and yet others say to try manifold vacuum.

My solution was to rip the whole thing out and install a known-good roller motor with an AFB carb and HEI distributor.

This post has a scrappy engine pic: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post550885
                        Last edited by 1987cp; 08-28-2013, 09:00 AM.
                        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                        X