Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 grand marquis with heater problems

Hello All From A Newbie,

Anybody out there know anything about how the heating system works on our Marquis? I have a problem with my '79 and I just don't know enough about it to fix it. I have diagnosed it at least part of the way..........
    After checking everything out, the problem appears to be in the vacuum motor that operates the hot air door under the dash. All the controls seem to operate fine and select all the proper operations. Here's the problem. The vacuum motor that moves the hot air door does operate except from what I can tell, it moves the air door all the way to the closed position and wont adjust to the open position to allow the hot air into the cabin. If I disconnect the vacuum line going to the vacuum door motor, the door goes back to the rest position and allows the hot air into the cabin. I checked the vacuum line while it was disconnected and found that as you moved the temp control, it changed the amount of vacuum at the hose which is I'm assuming how it regulates how far the air door motor moves. However, when it is hooked backed up to the air door motor, it moves the motor all the way closed and won't adjust it. Can anyone help me? Once in a while it works as normal but usually not. I can't tell what would cause this. Obviously not a bad vacuum motor since it does operate and it doesn't appear to have a vacuum leak anywhere. It's almost as if it has too much vacuum and overcomes the spring in the air door motor.

Thanks in advance for any ideas guys.

Sincerely,
    Stuart D.
    Portland, OR

Not sure about a 79 but most vehicles I've seen have a cable that adjusts the temp door (hot/cold) blend door. And then the vacuum actuators open and close the function doors (dash vents, floor, defrost).

Unless it has ATC in which case I would have no idea because I've never worked with that.

If there's no heat from the heater core chances are that the problem is a thermostat, or the core itself but you would probably notice leaking coolant. Also make sure a previous owner didnt bypass it.

If the problem is that the air from the blower is not changing with the function switch (usually stays on defrost) then the problem is most likely a vacuum leak somewhere or the switch itself.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

If its automatic climate control, there is a fairly simple way to diagnose it. Pop the glovebox open and unhook the vac hose to the vacuum motor. If you get good heat, chances are extremely high that the problem is the interior temperature sensor mounted above the glovebox. Check out this thread for pictures and more details on diagnosing the system

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...lems-Read-This!
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hello and thanks for the advice. My car does have ATC and I've located the interior temp sensor under the dash pad. I loosened it from the dash and while it was still hooked up, tapped on it while the heater was running. The heat did actually come slightly but only for a brief time but I'm pretty sure now that the sensor is the problem. I'm going to try and locate a replacement and install it. Then I'll report back with the results.

Thankyou again for all your help guys!

Comment

rockauto has them. use the discount code from the vendor's section for some extra cash in hand.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks for the great advise........I checked on the Rockauto web site and couldn't find anything. Can you tell me where you saw them? Any ideas on how to locate it on their web site?

Thanks!

Comment

Ambient air temperature sensor

It's not listed under 79. It seems the parts lists for panthers are screwed up and VERY hit or miss from 79-86 as a LOT of lists confuse the cars with the fox body LTD II.

Part number is YH409. Rock auto has the best price on it ($68 and change). Use their current discount code from this thread: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ires-9-24-2013

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Or.....http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-NOS-OEM-...item27d530b042

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I think rock wins after the discount.

Comment

Probably but just wanted to list an alternative.....

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Working...
                    X