No announcement yet.

Fuel Tank and Sending Unit Issues "Pump on Engine Application"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

typically guys just raid yards until they find one that works and use that. I know the one in my 88's tank is really rusty but still works. If it ever dies, I'll probably find one of those universal ones with the same dimensions for hole and modify it to work, or really change stuff around and switch to a 90+ tank and use the all-in-one pump/sender.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by P72Crazy View Post
      Well its been a while since I posted on this thread. Two CVPIs are now sporting new fuel tanks, sending units, and neck gaskets. Since the next car is an 88, I have been looking for a sending unit for it. This week, Green Sales Company is showing stock on the unit I need. So the first two were 75.00 each. When I called about the SU for the 88, they hit me with 165.00. Wow, I must really look like a sucker. Give me a break, these things sold all day long for less than 50.00 (with a List Price of 69.) from Ford. I asked the guy at Green Sales what made this unit different from the one's I bought for the 90-91. Of course he didn't know it's all based on that price they "gave for it"...Really? You could have fooled me, looks like it's price on pure GREED and a returning customer. Is there really anyone out here working on this crap but me?
      I was looking for one a couple years ago as my current sending unit sank or died. I believe it had voltage when I (or my father that is) checked it. I figured it just sank since my "low fuel" light is on all of the time. Anyways, I had the chance to buy one, but I didn't have a credit card at the time. When I got one, they had no stock on the sending unit for an '86 CV. My JY only had (they have since crushed them) '88-'90 MGM. They had a '86 and a '88 Country Squire, but I think the tanks and sending units are different. In any event, I will yank the old one out and see how to empty it and patch it up (epoxy?). I wish I had an answer, but I have been in the same boat as you.

Packman

Comment

Is there really anyone out here working on this crap but me?
        Just you. I've still got the original going in my car, I won't be jumping into this pit until necessary. Others who have done it, likely did it when they could still buy them from Ford.

We're just cresting the hump where parts are no longer available from the oem, and are not available in the aftermarket yet due to lack of demand since we're at a point that a lot of original parts still work, but we're starting to see original parts fail. As more fail, aftermarket support will get better (I hope).

Alex.

Comment

The Panther Fords really were around for a ton of changes. Some models carried over for several years past their expected retirement (end of life). There are at least three tank configurations for the mid to late CVs (Lincoln and Merc included). Each of the three tanks had their own specific senders. It's such a simple device and their no good reason for one to command a 165.00 price tag. The two units I received from Green had some rust spots and one was even bent and had to be straightened where the shipping dept crammed them into a single shipping box. AS for the sunken float, it's likely eaten up by rust or ethanol enriched fuel use. The tanks I have replaced both had very rusty plumbing and the floats were totally eaten up into rust dust!!! The floats are available for repair! I recently bought two from Summit Racing. The sending unit retainer (lock ring) and gaskets are also available. I was able to purchase tanks from Spectra Premium but if you need a neck or sending unit be aware, take your own "lubricant" !!!

Tank Float for Sending Unit F0AZ-9275-B is a C0AZ-9202-B (available from Scott Drake Engineering) and it's also used on Mustangs and other Ford products.
          Last edited by P72Crazy; 11-19-2013, 10:37 PM. Reason: add Fuel tank float part number

Comment

Update to this thread - Emails and calls to a couple of suppliers of NOS parts and found three sending units. Incredible, the parts jobbers are now trying to sell the sending units for 175.00 each. I guess 165.00 was too low. Anyone have a contact??

Comment

Working...
            X