Fuel Tank and Sending Unit Issues "Pump on Engine Application"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Tank and Sending Unit Issues "Pump on Engine Application"

I would like to open a thread for discussion of fuel tank issues. Sorry Mr. Moderator if I missed one. I have several CV's that have 351 HO engines with "pump on engine" applications and don't seem to find any information about replacing the sending unit or sending unit components. I have spent many hours surfing the web for these units and have only found one supplier that repairs and/or makes sending units (75.00 to 175.00 for labor + parts). Seems pretty high for me...... This could result in a 400.00 investment. I know most of "box" applications use the fuel pump in tank application commonly found with fuel injected engines. Any help, advice, or information is welcome!

The sending unit is locating on the forward facing part of the tank. Remove the fuel lines (and wire I believe) It's held in by a lock ring with tabs. use a BRASS punch to rotate the ring until it pops off. You can buy a new ring and rubber gasket. The sender should then come right out. New senders can be pricey as you've found, I don't know what problem you are having, however if it's just the float that is a cheap part and easily replaceable.
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I really wonder if it wouldn't be possible or practical to roll your own setup. Use a tank for a 90+ car with the single hole in it and the plate that goes in it, which contains the fuel pump and fuel level sender. Simply make a pickup out of steel line to run to the bottom of the tank instead of having the fuel pump there. Cap off any lines not needed, and off you go. This of course assumes that the holes are different sizes. If its the same size as the 90+ unit, you wouldn't even need to change the tank. Another option might be to transplant the level sending unit to another plate. Not sure how thats held on there, but maybe the fix is to buy one for an EFI car and mount it to the plate for the carb car.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        I really wonder if it wouldn't be possible or practical to roll your own setup. Use a tank for a 90+ car with the single hole in it and the plate that goes in it, which contains the fuel pump and fuel level sender. Simply make a pickup out of steel line to run to the bottom of the tank instead of having the fuel pump there. Cap off any lines not needed, and off you go. This of course assumes that the holes are different sizes. If its the same size as the 90+ unit, you wouldn't even need to change the tank. Another option might be to transplant the level sending unit to another plate. Not sure how thats held on there, but maybe the fix is to buy one for an EFI car and mount it to the plate for the carb car.
        I have done this before. It works well but, the fuel sender is backwards resistance from a '89 and older box. Prolly could just flip it around or something.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Thank fellas for your input on this subject. I tried a quick repair on the tank yesterday (birthday) and got a real dud of a present. I found at least nine holes along the bottom of the radius of the tank. Needless to say, a tank is in my future. From the on-line research I've done, it appears Spectra (F3) and Dorman (576-136) make replacement 20gal tanks for this application. Question, if the cost were the same, which one would you buy? Has any member used either of these tanks and can speak to the fitment? Funds are tight, and I'm sure I will be faced with this on my other cars as I bring them out of mothballs!! Appreciate your input !

Comment

As for problems.....there are many. I inherited both 1990 CVPIs and both have been sitting for at least four years. Fuel gauge measures past full on the present victim !! Tank leaking and some rust visible on the tank neck (rust inside the filler neck). I fabricated an electric pump powered by my 12V DC Black and Decker "jump box" to suck out the old fuel and have rebuilt two of the stock 7200 VV Carbs. This comes in handy while rotating the old fuel out of a host of mustangs and Shelby's the family owns. Does not work on the newer model mustangs as they have anti-siphon tank necks.

Comment

I was able to clear a rust blockage from the 91 CVPI. As I pulled out the sending unit, I found plenty of rusty muddy looking gunk. The sender tubing was rusted and the pickup sock was covered in pure crap. Inside of the tank of this car has rust scale and a small pin-hole that I plugged with permatex epoxy then fiber-glassed it in three increasingly larger patches. This tank holding but really a sorry excuse for a "fix". Would not take this car on a long trip.......Gas gauge on this car reading intermittently reads empty even when a 1/2 tank is present. The tank resistor may still be dirty on this unit.

Comment

Originally posted by P72Crazy View Post
                Thank fellas for your input on this subject. I tried a quick repair on the tank yesterday (birthday) and got a real dud of a present. I found at least nine holes along the bottom of the radius of the tank. Needless to say, a tank is in my future. From the on-line research I've done, it appears Spectra (F3) and Dorman (576-136) make replacement 20gal tanks for this application. Question, if the cost were the same, which one would you buy? Has any member used either of these tanks and can speak to the fitment? Funds are tight, and I'm sure I will be faced with this on my other cars as I bring them out of mothballs!! Appreciate your input !
                .....I put a spectra f3 in my old 91 351 crown vic,had no issues,everything went back together smoothly

Comment

Spectra (SPI) being North American based (Canada), and in the buisness of tanks and radiators for a long time are usually really good about using a correctly fitting sample for their templates.
                  Up here they are typically the first aftermarket option you have. Their Nova radiators drop right in without so much as having to tweak a cooler line. Think all of my heater cores are SPI's now, and two of my three rads and a gas tank.

Alex.

Comment

I put a Spectra (Canadian made) tank in the wagon, from Rock Auto, It fit fine.
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Thank you for the input gents! I checked my local OReilly's and my future son-in-law says he'll match prices with RockAuto. Love the RockAuto folks and have purchased some smokin' deals on parts for my CVPIs.
                      I guess the trick to getting out the bottom of the tank straps is to drop the upper bolts first? This may give you enough room to maneuver the bottom strap and pins toward the holes in the brackets so they can be removed. Noticed a bracket and bolt on the neck, four bolts behind the filler door, and the sending unit connections. Is there any connection on the rear bumper side (the diagram shows a "vent"??

Comment

Spectra F3 fuel tank arrived today. Can't believe that it had no internal padding whatsoever. Hope it fits. I didn't order the new straps or neck gasket so I guess I'd better take my time !

Comment

get the neck gasket.
                          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

+1 neck gasket or it WILL leak. Also, new gaskets everywhere else on it too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The tank came with a new lock ring and lock ring gasket. Guess I'd better find a source for the neck gasket. My local Ford dealer doesn't have it. Didn't see it listed in Spectra's info either. Thanks for your input guys !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X