No announcement yet.

Fuel Tank and Sending Unit Issues "Pump on Engine Application"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try Silver State Ford in NV. Online they have a contact us box. Put in your info,especially the vin. Ask if they do not have it, who might. They have been very helpful.

Comment

www.fordparts.com

have them ship it to ya. It's about $30 IIRC.

correction: they don't have it. It was the aero I got it for last time. BAH!

try here instead: http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...FZKi4AodfngArQ
      Last edited by sly; 08-16-2013, 09:40 AM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Weather has been rainy here in NC and I've been working on my other 90 CVPI. I had my OReilly manager look it up and he stated Dorman 577-502 was the correct part number. I could not verify this on-line ! In fact most of the "Ford" sites don't list the neck gasket/grommet for this application. I wish I could say this is fun but I can't !

Comment

yeah... I'm gonna have to email ford parts back and see if they've figured out the autolamp relay part number fiasco for the boxes yet. I find it hard to believe that someone was THAT f'n lazy putting together the older parts of the part catalogs.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

So I have removed the rusty tank (not that tough when you understand you need to extract the neck from the exterior fuel door area) from my problem child (1990 CVPI Vin G) and found the tank to be full of rust (top to bottom) and my sending unit rusty as a "hoe". The insulator had destructed on the sender and the wire from the potentiometer was totally disconnected inside the unit. Also, the float (not sure if plastic or brass) is totally missing.....probably in the pound of rust scale in the bottom of the tank, AND a rusty neck (on the inside but it seems solid enough). Geez!!!! Have spent hours on-line hunting a sender and have a old-timer Ford stealership guy working on finding an NOS unit. Part number stamped on the outside of the unit " E0LF-9275-KA". From hours on-line, there seems to be at least 10 or 12 units that "look like" they'd work. Of course know one knows if the "pot" has the correct resistance range to make my gauge register the correct fuel level. Bottomline, this sucks and one of the main reasons I opened this "subject" for discussion. So what good is buying a new tank if you can get the other items to repair your ride I ask?

Comment

there are universal options that may or may not work well... I've never tried them as my float (brass btw) was all I needed and those are easy to come by.

Comment

Yeah, so I also checked with an internet service called rear-counter and found two places that are advertising this sending unit. The folks in TX were VERY NICE but sent two folks out to the warehouse to retrieve the unit but it was not there. The second guys quoted 245.00 plus shipping for their.........good luck bud! I'll fab my own and cut a damn stick to check the fuel level !!! So Sly, do you recall the part number for your float? Just curious !

Comment

found a listing on ebay with the part number: c0az-9202b

same float as used in mustangs/trucks/etc from late 60s to 90s.

Interchange Part Number: ef005b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-1980-19...732#vi-content

from that, I found it on SummitRacing.com
                  http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sdk-c0az-9202-b

just the float is easy. fixing the sending unit... best bet is a JY.

Comment

Went to a local Ford Stealership today and asked them if they had a sending unit. Of course they didn't but put the part number on-line and got a hit in Overland Park, KS. Called the guy there and he indicated the part was not a Ford OE part but a "reproduction" of the F0AZ-9275-B. So I asked, "how much for the copy" and was greeted with a 185.00 price + shipping. Hummmmm, NO. So I talked to my local guy about finding a float (missing in action or eat up by rust). He tells me he has two C0AZ-9202-B brass floats. So I asked how much and he indicated around 7 bucks. So I went home and got my sending unit to fit the float and make sure it was the right one (his suggestion) cool right? I arrived within 15 minutes, and he was no where in sight, but another parts jockey said "yeah we got them" proceeded to break open the pack and snap it right on the sending unit lever. Cool I said. He said it would cost 15.00 + tax.........excuse me? You mean 15.00 for a pack of two right? No each...............................crap! Low balled on a darn float! Does everyone at Ford have to be an greedy so-in-so? If I buy one, it won't be from this band of thieves. Looking more like I'm going to "fab one up" like someone suggested earlier.

Comment

I would have walked out and told him I wouldn't be back after getting that price bait and switch.

I know when my business is not desired.

Comment

I walked out on that bunch and didn't look back. Have ordered two brass sending unit floats ScottDrake model (C0AZ-9202-B) from Summit Racing per Sly's recommendation and link @ 5.65 each. Now, if I can verify the neck grommet from Dorman 577-502 actually fits my CVPI I'll be ready to put it all back together. Cross-reference info for "special vehicles" requires patience and persistence. Note to all folks how live in states where Ethanol is a requirement (DON'T let your vehicles sit with this gasoline in them). Many of my friends are using STAR-tron or another high quality fuel additives to keep the fuel from separating and turning to sludge.

Comment

Anyone happen to know what the resistor range is suppose to be for a 90 CV fuel sender?? Mine is reading 199 ohms at full and around 22 ohms empty (out of the car on the bench).

Comment

Tired of searching the net for information on "box cvpi's" with 5.8L HO engine. Damn that "Cash for Clunkers" program must have crushed most of the demand for parts. Ordered the Dorman 577-502 and had a darn hard time finding the dimensions of it. If I can't use in for my application it will fit a host of Fox Bodies in our stable! Fuel tank neck grommet engineering part for my 90 CVPI built 2/90 is E3AC-9072-AA. Dimensions for the Ford unit 3.050" wide OAD, tapers to 2.125" diameter inside, and 0.710" thick at the tank rim. This does not line up exactly with the Dorman unit so I might need some "lubricant" to get the filler neck through.

Comment

Latest in the continuing saga of fuel tank replacement: Spectra F3 tank does not support the filler neck bracket. Both halves of the Spectra tank are welded too close to the edge and bent at a 45 degree away from the filler neck hole. One would have to bend the "sh*t out of the tank flange then drill inside the weld to replace the filler neck bracket. Geez.....guess I'll see if anyone has used a Dorman. Oh, and five calls to Canada before anyone could even talk intelligently about my issue. So, until Spectra addresses their issues, don't expect an F3 to be an exact fit your box panther !!!

Comment

my 88 doesn't even have that bracket. so it may be a later model thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X