Fuel Tank and Sending Unit Issues "Pump on Engine Application"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by P72Crazy View Post
    Tired of searching the net for information on "box cvpi's" with 5.8L HO engine. Damn that "Cash for Clunkers" program must have crushed most of the demand for parts. Ordered the Dorman 577-502 and had a darn hard time finding the dimensions of it. If I can't use in for my application it will fit a host of Fox Bodies in our stable! Fuel tank neck grommet engineering part for my 90 CVPI built 2/90 is E3AC-9072-AA. Dimensions for the Ford unit 3.050" wide OAD, tapers to 2.125" diameter inside, and 0.710" thick at the tank rim. This does not line up exactly with the Dorman unit so I might need some "lubricant" to get the filler neck through.
    That sort of thing was pretty hard to find even before C4C. Couldn't even get the pickup screens anywhere but from Ford. Same for filler neck grommets.
    Last edited by 1987cp; 08-30-2013, 06:01 PM.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Think I need a cooling off period. Stayed on the phone with RockAuto today trying to reach Dorman about the flange design on their 576-136 fuel tank. Maybe Dorman pre-drills the flange for the neck bracket. Could not get through (maybe everyone started their holiday early). Waiting on brass floats from Summit Racing and neck gasket/grommet from RockAuto. Will see if it all fits next week. One day I'll get caught up with all the BS and figure out how to upload some photos of this saga.

Comment

good luck with all that. Gotta be a headache and a half.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Filler neck bracket? Thats a new one on me, but I haven't spent any time with either a 351 car or one newer than 1989.

Pretty sure the fill neck grommets are the same as Mustangs. I usually assume that any easily available parts for our cars also happen to fit Mustangs, which is the real reason you can get them at all.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

For all you folks with 5.0L engines I'd say that's gadget73 has a good point. I did a walk around today and have determined that the neck bracket attached to the driver's side fuel tank flange must have happened in 1990. Both 1990's and the 1991 has it. The shape of the neck is slightly different between the 1988's we have and the 1990+ cars. Since the 5.8L engine (police and taxi only) and required the federally mandated "gas guzzler tax" this model was only available to fleet and Gov't service sales. I remember having the opportunity to buy a 1990 GM that was owned by the US Marshal Service. It also had the 5.8L with 7200 VV Carb, duals, etc, This GM would have been a "rare bird". After owning so many "slick tops" and having a long history with vinyl tops in the 60s&70s, I optioned to low ball the bid and didn't get it.

Comment

This thread gets more bizarre. Today took some resistors over to the 90 Vic and placed them across the two terminal connector. All worked as expected unit I checked what would happen when the sending unit grounds itself to the tank via the lock ring. When tank empty (22-25 ohms), approx. 1/2 full (85 to 90 ohms), tank full (199-200 ohms). When you ground the sending unit "shell" all reading go "hay wire". Not only that, the gauge on the dash in not responsive until the ignition switch is cycled from off to on again. So how does the sending unit not ground itself to the tank and therefore to the "car body". This bull crap for a electrical guy. And so the tank to sender unit gasket doesn't isolate it either. Such problems. Too bad the sending unit was all to crap inside the tank.

Comment

Does anyone have a shop manual for a 1990 CV? Would really like to see the wiring diagram of this sending unit / fuel gauge ckt. Sorry about the rant above. Was really pissed off after my last circuit testing session.
                This would be a big deal, however, this unit sits immersed in 20 gallons of explosive gasoline. I don't like playing with bombs.

Comment

sending unit wiring diagram for 93... should be the same since they change to that setup in 90.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CV fuel gauge.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	1273009

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Spectra Premium mail server rejected my email today. Attached copy of Filler Neck Bracket 1990 Ford CVPI.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0612.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1273010Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0609.jpg
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	1273011

Comment

reply again with a link to your post here and demand satisfaction for their piss poor part.

Comment

Posting pictures of the Ford vs Spectra Premium F3 for my 1990 & 1991 CVPI fuel tanks. Their email server wouldn't let my data through so I'm posting here and will send them a link. If you are contemplating a new fuel tank and you have the filler neck bracket in my earlier post, be advised that the Spectra F3 tank design does not support the re-use of the bracket.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0604.jpg
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	1273016Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0597.jpg
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	1273017Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0603.jpg
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	1273018Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0594.jpg
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1273019Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0612.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	1273020

Notice in the pictures the location of the weld on the Spectra tank (new tank). The weld is much closer to the outside edge of the halves. I started to just bend the tank flange and drill hole for the bracket, but suddenly had bad thoughts about drilling inside the welded halves of the tank. I figure this will weaken the tank and open up the chance for it to rust.
                        Last edited by P72Crazy; 09-03-2013, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Update, talked to Dorman Products today and their customer service contact was very receptive to my concerns and promised to investigate the Dorman 576-136 for compatibility with my 90 CVPI. As for Spectra Premium, I called them today to address my email problem and was able to get a link to this thread through. Was unable to reach the manager I spoke with last Friday as he was on vacation. I asked if there was anyone else who could address my issues and my concerns were met with utter distain. I was told the manager I spoke with last week had the call on whether to move forward with my issue. I can't believe I'm the only CV owner to have this problem !! Maybe my cars are rarer that I thought. Can I ask some of the GM owners of 90-91 cars to peek through the left rear wheel well and see if your car's have this filler neck bracket? THANKS!

Comment

most probably just chucked the bracket with the tank and said screw it.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                              most probably just chucked the bracket with the tank and said screw it.
                              .....that's what I did.......

Comment

Don't think this hasn't crossed my mind. I'm a stickler for engineering details especially when it comes to riding around with a 20 gallon bomb in your trunk. Lots of CV's went up in a cloud of smoke due to tank issues. Two aftermarket suppliers are going to document their products "DO NOT fit my application as advertised, engineered, and built" before I leave it off. I'm just a little stubborn based on multiple calls with Spectra. Good thing I've got a 1500 Silverado 4x4, Mustang Mach 1, Toyota Avalon, & Honda Accord I can drive to pick up my Panther parts!

Comment

Working...
                                X