No announcement yet.

Fuel Tank and Sending Unit Issues "Pump on Engine Application"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

like I said before ,I had no issues with mine, that being said , my guess is that these aftermarket tanks were designed to fit multiple applications(these tanks also list for 79 and up carburated panthers,ltd,marquis Lincoln mark &continental) making a separate tank for a 90/91 p72 would result in a fuel tank that would cost an outrageous amount, also, although the press went apeshit about the "fuel tank issues" of the police crown vics,keep in mind that the same basic design has been used since 1966 (65 was a stand alone year as federal crash regulations require some alterations to the design used in 65)and until the press made a big deal about the fuel tanks rupturing when patrol cars were parked on the side of the freeway and rear ended at 60+ mph in the 1990s , there were no "known" issues with this design until then

Comment

With all due respect sir, you are entitled to remove or delete any item or safety feature on your vehicles. If Spectra and/or Dorman want to tell me in writing their products do not require this bracket then so be it. The idea I had when I opened up this thread was to give the folks as much information as possible when making these repairs. However, I personally see no value or cost avoidance in moving that weld so close to the edge of the two tank halves. If you want to get technical, my suggestion to the manufacturers would "decrease" the linear distance the weld and reduce costs (laser power equals money). Taking it one step further, my application is a police package car with dual exhaust pipes and an HD frame; if anything, the tank flange "angle" would help on this design b/c of the reduced width inside the frame rails. Since the factory tank didn't have this flange angle, I think it's reasonable to think this angling is again "a choice in manufacturing" or even a outright copy of another vendor's design.

Comment

their aftermarket tank could easily have been properly engineered to fit all applications by having a larger seam with an hole drilled in that location. It wouldn't be that hard to do and shouldn't make it costly. The fact that they didn't do it right the first time is the issue here. I need to contact FordParts again and find out what the progress is on the autolamp relay snafu.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

mine was installed in a 1991 p72.....same as yours....and all I was doin was offering a possible explaination , have a nice day

Comment

Yes Sir, and thank you. My post #45 stated that had crossed my mind. Update on the Spectra Premium tank issue: Got an email from the product development team that looks promising. Still trying to work out the details, but I believe I will be able to work the issue out with Spectra. If everything goes "cool", I'll detail it here, install the tanks and report how all the "interchange parts" support the new installation. I found a source for some filler neck gaskets but it maybe a small operation. No phone contact information available for them at this time. On a down note, my sending unit is "acting up" since it's been out and dry for nearly two weeks now.

Comment

So I'm still waiting on my agreement with Spectra to be fulfilled and dealing with the sending unit issue. All the parts I need to repair the unit are available at Spectra but they don't offer a sending unit for my cars. With the internet, I never thought it would be so hard to find a supplier for a potentiometer/rheostat and some electrical terminal posts. Has anyone seen a source for the 16 ohm empty to 158 ohm (full) sending unit potentiometer? You can find fuel gauges all day long but no one wants to sell a parts kit to repair a sending unit. Another thing to discuss with Spectra Premium or Dorman I guess.

Comment

nope. can't even find the universals I saw a few years back.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Thanks Sly. I've bing'd and google'd every combo of search strings I can think of. I guess the manufacturer's of these devices think they'll last as long as the car. I'm sure someone out there knows where to obtain them. Unfortunately, they likely work for a aftermarket parts company who doesn't visit this site or CV.net or other Lincoln owners blogs, etc.

Comment

Junkyards. pull one that works from an old boat that hasn't been crushed.

Comment

Sly, I've had bad luck dealing with JYs here (NC) but I just may have to resort to it. One may ask "why do you put up with all this grief for a 5.8L when the 5.0L offers everything you're searching for?" B/C we have (6) 5.8L's and that's a darn lot of converting. Looking at an FG178B fuel sender for the fleet application. Has some major physical characteristics I need but electrically not compatible with the dash level gauge in the 90s and 91. Believe it's close to the factory unit in the 1988s. So you can get a sender for a crappy 4-Cyl Mustang II that's a glorified Pinto from 1977 but you can't get a sender for the carb version of the Panther that was made from 1979 to 1991. Got to see the business case for this one!

Comment

IIRC the sending unit was the same on all of the panthers until the all-in-one fuel pump/sending units came out. 5.8 (up to 91) or 5.0 (up to 89).

I could be mistaken though.

Comment

We'll find out as soon as I can get my 90 off my rhino ramps. I have an 88 that needs a tank too. From what I've read, the fuel sending unit resistor/rheostat operating range and "direction" changed on the P72 with 5.8 engine in 1989 or 1990. Previous to 1990, 10 ohms full 73 empty like the old Fords. Seems like I trouble shot a 1988 once that had a "bad gauge" and the sending unit was measuring about 46 ohms with a bit less than a 1/2 tank of fuel in it. Found the gauge in the dash was disconnected from one of the terminals and I had to splash a dab of solder on it to get it working. All this resistor stuff is a bit of black magic b/c the gauge is not linear anyway. Has anyone NOT had a panther that stayed on "full" much longer than any other reading? And the last 1/4 always lasts longer than the 2nd and 3rd quarters.

Comment

Got an email from Spectra Premium today on the fuel tank issues. I really am honored as a "noob" to see so many people interested in (and following) this thread. Like many big corporations, it seems like it takes forever to get issues resolved. (I should know, my last employer had 123,000 people worldwide). I'll keep everyone informed on Spectra's performance and responsiveness. At the end, I may ask some of you to send a note to Spectra Premium via FB or email. Until then, the "jury is still out" and I appreciate the interest in this thread.

Comment

mines pretty linear once the top level comes down enough for the float to actually float. But then, my needle will go 1/8 below E and the same above F for the full swing... so I count the little dots below the .\E and F/. as the actual empty and full pointers instead of the slashes.

Comment

My Towncar's gauge runs high. it will bury well above F, but E really means E. Hit it, and you stop. Most cars have a couple gallons yet when it hits that point. 1/2 tank requires 10 gallon to top up on an 18 gallon tank, 1/4 tank is like 15 gallons.
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X