This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Pump Upgrade

This is for those who have CFI/EFI box Panthers with the in-tank fuel pumps. I started by purchasing a stock pump (Spectra) from RockAuto. As we know, the stock pumps are physically larger than the aftermarket Mustang pumps (mine is a Holley 190lph). In order to get them to fit correctly inside the rubber boot, you have to fill in the empty space with something. I used a NAPA (part#8104) radiator hose for some '80s Chysler. My inside diameter of the stock rubber boot measured 2" I.D. So I needed a 1-15/16 - 2" O.D. hose to cram into the boot. I brought the Mustang pump with me to NAPA so we could scrounge in the box of miscellaneous hoses. Luckily, it didn't take too long to find the hose I ended up using. The Mustang pump fit snuggily inside the hose and the hose fits very tightly inside the boot. After that I just needed to cut and splice the Mustang connector to the stock wires. Here are some pics below to show you what I used.

I have yet to build the engine that this pump will feed, but this is what I did. I probably should have gotten a 255lph pump; but whatever. I am also not sure if all pumps and boots are created equal. Hopefully this helps one or two of you out there.

Packman

Cool..........never can have to much actual info........
    Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

I forgot to mention that before I took the stock pump apart, I traced an outline of the pump on cardboard. That way I could adjust the height (so-to-speak) according to the stock pump dimensions. And the fuel line that goes from the pump to the outlet is 5/16" fuel line.

Packman

Comment

Also, I used a box cutter to cut the end of the rubber boot off. Then I trimmed it back accordingly with the radiator hose.

Packman

Comment

Someone sticky this.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
          The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
          It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Nice! I did something similar using a NOS hanger and 255 cnt racing pump. Even if the engine is stock a 255 pump doesn't hurt a thing.

Comment

Some replacement pumps come with a sleeve to compensate for the diameter difference. I know my stock replacement Airtex pump did. What's nice about that one is, it's reasonably priced and equates to about 189.89 or so LPH.

Comment

Radiator hose is not something that enjoys being submerged in gasoline.
                2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

yeah, rad hose will get extremely gummy in gas, and all the goo that it breaks down to will get sucked through your fuel pump.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I ended up cutting up the old boot to actually use as a filler between the pump and the new boot. Considering the car is still running fine I think that worked fine. Todays gasoline is very hard on rubber. Especially the e10 stuff which actually dissolved my original pump's screen strainer. So needless to say be careful about this.

Comment

There are hoses rated for alcohol & gas. Though this would need to be fairly large so it is not common. Marine supply might be a source. This type of rubber is expensive but you would only need a foot.
                      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Good to know. Thankfully, my project has been delayed for a couple years. Otherwise, I would have learned this the hard way.

Packman

Comment

Mine doesn't have anything to take up the space. I sliced a hole through each side of the boot and used a hose clamp to keep the pump where it needs to be. Been in there for years now, so I guess it works.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            Mine doesn't have anything to take up the space. I sliced a hole through each side of the boot and used a hose clamp to keep the pump where it needs to be. Been in there for years now, so I guess it works.
                            Someone should still sticky this thread so that it's at least easier to find and the idea is documented. I just got my Walbro 255, being that there is about 1/4" of gap all around the pump, I'm currently finding a solution to the space and pump sock problem.

I ordered an Airtex 190 and plan to use the rubber spacer that is supplied.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                            The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                            It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

So I went to NAPA a week ago and got 1.5" ID fuel filler hose. It matches the ID and OD of the radiator hose that I originally got. Tore up the fuel pump filter whilst removing it. I bent the tabs back into place, but it doesn't snap in like it did the first time. I will see if I can get a replacement filter element and then re-install the pump.

Packman

Comment

Working...
                              X