Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Filler neck hose! i didn't even think of that!

Comment

That would do it. Didn't consider that either.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l-pump-install
        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

The fuel filter doesn't snap in like it did when I first pushed it into the bottom of the pump; but it's still tight. So here are pics of the finished/revised pump.

Comment

Hope that Holley pump is better than the 3 or 4 I have burned up in Creamy. They were external pumps for carbs. they only lasted a few months. Tried a couple different versions of the 140 / 150 gallon ones and one blue pump that didnt supply enough fuel. Sold that one to a friend cheep and it burned up in short order. They always claimed it was dirt in the fuel. Brushes were burnt down to the wire fuel system at the time was new ATL fuel tank new lines all the way to new carb Running a Mallory now for years.

Comment

I hope so too. I have had a Holley Red pump on Putter Project for 3 years now without problems. THough, that truck doesn't get driven much anymore. The 292 seems to be okay with the Holley. It's very noisy though; you can hear the pump over the failing muffler. That was my first fuel system upgrade/install.

Comment

You made the same mistake that he initially made, using the radiator hose.

My Walbro 255 was DOA, was good because I would've ended up killing it regardless. (Too much pump for too little steam, since they're for 500hp engines.) So now I'm using a factory replacement and I'll upgrade it in the future. The filler neck hose is a great idea. I'll surely do that instead of wrapping a hose clamp around it.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
                  You made the same mistake that he initially made, using the radiator hose.

My Walbro 255 was DOA, was good because I would've ended up killing it regardless. (Too much pump for too little steam, since they're for 500hp engines.) So now I'm using a factory replacement and I'll upgrade it in the future. The filler neck hose is a great idea. I'll surely do that instead of wrapping a hose clamp around it.
                  Not positive I USED THE RAD HOSE MYSELF IT WAS SO LONG AGO. Pump still runs it is a walbro FMS pump never had any issues. Guessing walbro makes the holly in tank pump dont know who makes thier other pumps for carb apps

Comment

Aeromotive stealth line of pumps are awasome... Turbine style vs gear so very quiet and essentially nothing that can wear/go wrong. They'll feed 600hp at our 40psi and have lower amp draw with being the same size as the walbro units we have. Not being a gear pump they work very well with a pump in series if ever needed.
                    Running 2 myself (2nd only kicks in at wot) and love them.
                    Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
                    HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

I just upgraded my 1990 MGM fuel pump to a walbro 190lph and it was a completely different pump mounting system then shown. It was just slip the pump out of the rubber dampner and replace. The walbro was a bit longer but a new shorter hose fixed it. If I figure out how to post pictures from my phone I will post a picture up.

Comment

Yep, '90+ are different from '89-down. Much easy to work with when it comes to fuel pump upgrade.
                        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Can a dude swap in a '90+ tank in an '89 & down car?
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Tank straps are different length and I think possibly also different mounting locations. Fuel pump is on the front of the '90+ tank instead of the back so fuel lines would need to be rerouted. Then you get into the fuel sending unit which will require at least a '90+ antislosh/low fuel module, or possibly a '90+ cluster, or modify the '90 sending unit to the '89- resistance range (I'm not really sure what the best way to handle this detail would be, more research needed). Now, with an '89 TC none of the sending unit monkey business applies. Although all '89- Panthers will still require the '90+ electrical connectors at the tank.

I'm sure I'm missing some details but, having never done such a swap, that is all I can think of. I don't think it would be an easy task but I do think it would be doable.
                            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Ah, more work than it's worth...
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

On that point about putting newer tank in older box, I'm eventually planning to some-sort-of-EFI swap my '83 and was planning to test fit the 97 Vic's fuel tank in it.

Sending unit issues being a hurdle to jump at a later time, of course (isn't the resistance range backwards between the 89 and 90 switchover?).

Logically, the tank should fit the spot. If there is a discrepancy between strap length, the question is if it's because a) tank shape differences, b) strap mount relocation, or both.

(edited out tank strap application info as it was misleading)
                                Last edited by kishy; 07-05-2017, 11:21 AM.

Current driver: Ranger
                                Panthers: 83 GM 2dr | 84 TC | 85 CS
                                | 88 TC | 91 GM
                                Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 91 Acclaim | 05 Focus
                                Gone: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | 86 GM
                                | Junkyards

Comment

Working...
                                X